U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:07 PM

750 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
Without being too personal....why NM, are you getting a job there...or? Family there? Do a lot of research before making that commitment...
good luck to you....
GH,

While I agree that anyone relocating should thoroughly investigate the areas they are considering, I get the impression that you have particular issue with NM. Any particular reason why? Do you live in NM? Or did someone you know have a bad experience? Just curious...

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 PM

126 posts, read 426,556 times
I'm a native NM girl, born and raised. Have many experiences and stories to share, should anyone be interested. NM is a beautiful place, the SW has colors and vistas not to be found anywhere. I travel extensively w/my job, but NM remains my home as well as the home of my relatives and many friends.
I have seen many changes over the last 20-30yrs, unfortunately, not all for the better.......that's why I caution anyone thinking of re-locating to thouroughly investigate....especially a single mom w/young children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
GH,

While I agree that anyone relocating should thoroughly investigate the areas they are considering, I get the impression that you have particular issue with NM. Any particular reason why? Do you live in NM? Or did someone you know have a bad experience? Just curious...

Chap

Old 12-18-2006, 02:18 PM

7,971 posts, read 10,167,431 times
I was born and grew up in New Mexico. We moved away about 9 years ago. There are things about New Mexico I miss (no traffic, clean air, small towns, thunderstorms, the landscape), but I would not move back there. The crime, poverty, and subpar schools just don't make for a good quality of life in my mind. Yes, if you have enough money, you can get away from a lot of those problems. But for those of us trying to get by on a middle class income, other states offer a higher quality of living than NM.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,855 times
Ok - new here to this forum and it all makes VERY uncomfortable reading. we are relocating to Hobbs in the new year - I have a 5 year old (and another in the way) and thinking this is NOT the place to raise a family. Im from the Uk incidentaly so am use to a certain level of crime but is there anyplace near to Hobbs (husbands job) that is not as bad - or is this the norm?

Maybe we should be looking at living in Andrews (Tx)?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:59 PM

56 posts, read 147,965 times
The best schools in the state are NOT in Rio Rancho. The best schools in the ABQ surrounding area ARE in RR. If you're going to do ABQ, pick RR, their schools are SO MUCH BETTER THAN APS (albuquerque school district). I know this b/c I teach in APS. NM is a poor state, so most places you find, the education will be moderate, not the best. Totally off the subject, if you want good schools, go out to the east coast, I taught there too. Back to ABQ...
Los Alamos would be my pick for a good community to live in. It's not too cheap b/c of the labs. But it was ranked the "most educated" place to live in the country, per capita. Los Alamos is a quiet mountain town w/ low crime & really good schools (their sports always kicks ABQ's butt). The people are friendly & it really has a small town feel. Santa Fe is 45min away & has a lot of cultural stuff to do in the plaza.
My vote would be Los Alamos.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

20 posts, read 56,660 times
I have a different opinion of NM than most in this thread. I am a non-native who has just spent a year back east. My family cannot wait to get back to the southwest corner. We have lived in Portales (East, near Clovis) and Lordsburg (bootheel). We didn't like Portales very much. I guess it was the landscape. We absolutely love Lordsburg. However, we are moving back to Silver City to be closer to graduate school (Western New Mexico University). Silver City has good schools, mild weather, and it is a nice city. As far as which schools are best, it really depends on several factors. Chance is a large factor in how well your student does. When we moved back east, my oldest son went from loving school to losing interest. His teacher was terrible and felt the need to torment him. I know it sounds unlikely coming from his father, but my wife observed her harsh attitude several times. THe only thing that we could determine is that the teacher equated NM with Mexico. The area has a large population of illegal immigrants and a larger population of bigots. Although we are natives of Tennessee and are very anglo, we get alot of trouble for our ties to NM (Many people here don't know that NM is a state, try cashing a check with a NM driver's license!). Also we draw attention because my wife teaches Spanish and I work with migrant children. We ended up changing to a poorer school this year and my kids have done much better. So, geographical location can never ensure that your child will be successful. My advice is to move to wherever you feel comfortable and get involved with your child. You are the greatest influence on how well your child learns and behaves.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM

NM is poor when it comes to public schools. Phxgal is right, Rio Rancho would be the best public schools in the ABQ metro area. APS is terrible, I teach there. Some high schools (I wont name names) are even illegally changing test scores for their seniors in order to get funding. Lots of bad ethics. Stick to private, charter or homeschool.
The traffic on the west side will only get worse. They're in the process of opening up Paseo Del Norte further, but they need more outlets.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM

You're right, jonesy! Parents make a HUGE difference in a child's education! Everyone has a diff opinion. That's what makes this country great.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:00 PM

194 posts, read 309,238 times
Default Los Alamos

Regarding children, the ideal place to raise a family would be in Los Alamos. The schools are funded partially through the labs, and they boast the best school system in the state. In fact, it's even ranked nationally for it's quality. The crime rate is extremely low for its size, and the car insurance rates are the lowest in the state.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 61,444 times
I have two children ages three and one. We are hoping to move back to NM within the next year. We've been in Texas for the past year and a half. Prior to that, I've always lived in NM.

I grew up in Carlsbad. While it is not a place I would choose to live (need to be a distance from family, and prefer a different climate), I would recommend it if you like the heat. It was a pleasant place to grow up. It's a smaller town, but there is not lots to do. And, if you want to be able to get to a bigger city, it's going to be quite a drive (around three hours to El Paso or Lubbock, 1.5 to Roswell). But, if you like the outdoors, it's great. The mountains are nearby, as are the Caverns. There are lots of places to hike, camp and hunt.

I went to college in Las Cruces, and really liked it there. It is a larger town without being too large. It is also hot though.

I lived in the Capitan area for a little while when my husband was training for his job. It was a small, but pretty place. In fact, if my husband gets his job back, we may move near there, to Carrizozo.

I've always thought Alamogordo would be a good place to live. I've never lived there, just traveled through and stopped a few times. I know people who live there and like it though. It's a warmer climate, and a bigger town, but not too big.

All that said, we will go wherever in the state that my husband's job takes us if we move back. Having little ones I'm a little concerned about that. I'd prefer to live in a smaller town, which we probably will. We would both prefer to live in a cooler climate, probably in northern NM, although we may have to start out in the south.

I'm concerned about the schools, having gone to them as a student, and taught in them. But, I will continue to educate my children beyond the classroom, and be very involved in their lives, both inside and outside the classroom. I think that's all you can do as a parent. There are going to be problems no matter where you go.

Good luck in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico