U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

717 posts, read 267,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLoves View Post
Hi all!

So I've spent a few months researching the Southwestern States in an effort to make up my mind about which state to move to. It's been challenging, but lots of fun. I live in New York City now but want to be in a place as far away from that lifestyle as possible. REALLY far. Like I even looked into off-gridding! That desperate.

Anyway, so like many of you I'm looking for the slower pace, 0 rat race, cleaner air, quiet neib, cheaper rent, small town, wave hi to my neighbor, casserole at my door step, holiday spirited town, mild weather, and such. As a matter of fact if I can find a little cabin in the middle of the woods, away from humanity that'll be great! (Just kidding about that last one). But I've settled for the beautiful Rio Rancho; but I need more convincing and some reassurance.

I've heard that it wouldn't be wise to move during the summer months because of the heat; but guess what: That's when the kids get off school!.. and I got two of those little things. So what are your suggestions? I was aiming to move for June but it may be sooner? like: February. Is that TOO soon?

How hard would it be to find a place to live in? The ideal thing would be a small house.
How are the jobs out there? I got a bit of a college degree. Does anyone here work for or know anyone who works for the City? How is it?

My 10 year old son, now a 5th grader, would need a special education program. Any reputable options??

So much to say and so little time! Gotta get back to work now.. can't wait to see the comments!

Thanks!

~Lil's
I am NOT from NM, but I live in NJ right now with my parents and I am in college. I hate the East Coast and NJ and I am planning on moving to NM for the same reasons as you (except I have no desire to have kids at all, so schools wouldn't matter for me). I need a permanent getaway from the fast pace, the dense population, the bland scenery, the crappy weather, and NM suits my outdoorsy lifestyle. I also need to get away far from NJ for other reasons. I looked for neighborhoods on Google Earth and even though Rio Rancho is considered a "suburb", to me it looks crowded. I always dreamed of living in a semi-rural neighborhood where the houses are space far apart, so I am considering neighborhoods east of ABQ that run off of I-40 or the ABQ neighborhoods that are considered to be in ABQ that are in the northeastern side of the city or even the neighborhoods north of the city.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:11 AM

24,469 posts, read 39,601,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I looked for neighborhoods on Google Earth and even though Rio Rancho is considered a "suburb", to me it looks crowded.
Rio Rancho is a city. It is in a different county than Albuquerque.

Quote:
I always dreamed of living in a semi-rural neighborhood where the houses are space far apart, so I am considering neighborhoods east of ABQ that run off of I-40 or the ABQ neighborhoods that are considered to be in ABQ that are in the northeastern side of the city or even the neighborhoods north of the city.
What do you consider "semi-rural neighborhood where the houses are space far apart,"

Old Today, 12:08 PM

5,469 posts, read 3,106,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In a sense, moving to Rio Rancho is like moving to a drier version of Long Island. With less traffic, though.

Not that that would necessarily be a bad thing for you. But if you are looking for something other than dense suburbia, Rio Rancho isn't it.
Quote:
I looked for neighborhoods on Google Earth and even though Rio Rancho is considered a "suburb", to me it looks crowded. I always dreamed of living in a semi-rural neighborhood where the houses are space far apart,

To some extent, the newer development on the west side, including Rio Rancho, is more densely clustered around the bridges. Not counting I-40 and I-25, we have only seven bridges across the Rio Grande (Bernalillo/550, Alameda, Paseo del Norte, Montano, Central Ave., Bridge St., Rio Bravo) between Bernalillo and Isleta Pueblo. The Interstates are purposely limited access but I-40 is already in a cluster of development as it crosses the river. If someone is looking for lower density they should look between the bridges and/or further west, away from the bridge density. Rio Rancho also has Intel which has its own density (as does Cottonwood Mall, to some extent). The trade off is in commute times if you live on the west side and work on the east side (less of a problem for retirees). The bridges tend to be bottlenecks. An exception might be Coralles, where there seems to be a mix of different residential clusters. The West Mesa escarpment and larger arroyos also have an impact on residential density on the west side.

If you look at Google map images for Rio Rancho and follow Rt. 528 from where it crosses the river as Alameda Bridge northward to Hwy 550, you will see density near the bridges thin out slightly going north and then building up again near the Bernalillo/550 bridge. There is much more density on the east side of Rt. 528 along the river (River's Edge neighborhoods) than on the west as the land rises up the slope.

It all depends on what you are looking for. I love living in RR at the top of the western slope with more than an acre and georgeous views of the Sandias but it takes me 45 minutes to get to downtown Albuquerque depending on traffic and what bridge I choose. I'm retired so it doesn't matter that much. I have one adjacent neighbor and several within hollering distance. The population of coyotes and jackrabbits probably exceeds the number of human neighbors on some nights. It is very quiet. My street is unpaved but well maintained. I have friends (from NY) in River's Edge (east side of Rt. 528) with ample yard space big enough for a pool and garden/hobby sheds and they love it. There are newly built places with only about eight feet between houses and maybe twenty feet of back yard with air conditioners whirling all summer and even that appeals to some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico