U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 10:36 PM

13 posts, read 34,790 times

Advertisements

I,am now under 3 years to retirement, and have made searching for a place to call home for the rest of my life kind of a hobbie. This is a big decision sense once I sell out in southern Ca. , I will not be able to return due to the cost of housing. I live a half block to the beach in San Diego, and is the best weather in the USA. A Tough call but the rat race this place has become ,cost of living and fact that I want to retire as young as possible makes it a no brainer decision. Exactly where to go is the tricky part. I lived in Raton NM for twelve or more years and grad. from high school there. Been in San Diego for 30 years now , as far as big cities go its a tough place to leave. Raton area is beautiful and so are the people on the most part real friendly and laid back.Last year I purchased 3.5 acres on the way up to Sugarite State Park where Lake Maloya is about 2 or 3 miles out of town surrounded by mesa,s and open ranch and Volcano fields to tha south. I know how nice this area is because I lived there. Problem is , Raton has been a very depressed state for years now since the horse racing left in 1992 and a few years back the coal mining closed down. They just built a new hospitol but are having a hard time getting doctors to locate to the area due to how remote it is. I have a wife and a special needs daughter and am starting to look at places with more ammenities, like meds., schooling,home depot, sams club etc. ,such as Farmington/Aztec area. Looks like another road trip comming up. I love Raton and the property I have is nice location but the town really needs a shot in the arm like a 2 yr. collage and a micro brewery. Any feed back to help with this decision or where else to look would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
Microbrewery/pub/restaurant are not that difficult (maybe?). Work in one for a year or so and then start your own.

I am also in the retire in three years and will be looking around northern NM this summer as well as a short stay in Socorro.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 AM

13 posts, read 34,790 times
Thanks for feedback but I dont want to start these business,s It,s that what I,ve seen from communities this is a sign of a community with a heart beat. All these small towns in NM. had a hay day at some time, that is what created them. The spirit still needs to be there. I love NM. , it,s in my blood ,the problem is I need to be in a community were people have a good attitude,it,s like 50/50 in Raton. But I,ll tell you what, man it,s a good town, people are very sincere and honorable there. Did,nt mean to ramble on to much, Sorrry,Take care.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:35 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
I understand what you are saying about community spirit. Continuous loss of population for economic reasons (survival) saps a sense of community optimism. The North country of New York, Vermont, new Hampshire and Maine are experiencing a declining economy and are showing the strain. I will be trying to assess this during my next exploratory trip the NM.

Raton looks to be a decent town in a spectacular setting. It is kind of like most of the rest of mountain New Mexico.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM

22 posts, read 71,867 times
Since you have a special needs daughter you might want to consider Las Cruces, Alamogordo (1 hour away) or Cloudcroft/Ruidoso for mountain living but still within a resonable drive for you daughter --- just a thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico