Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 17,054 times

Advertisements

Okay Guys and Gals,
Been researching the state of Mexico as a new residence and have heard some pretty awful things for such beautiful country. We have been told over and over by some people who have lived there that racial tension is high. That many of the places in which we would like to live and can afford(rural areas) not in the main stream of town and city life can be dangerous. Have gotten some great info from yb and crackerjack about areas. Am a little concerned about safety now that we have talked to others. I think my dream of living in the foothills on a good size parcel of land and building our own home is slowly slipping away. Just not to sure anymore. Any comments or advice welcomed.
Thanks,
Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 35,419 times
Alamogordo has a very low crime rate and second in the state for low crime. Prices are low and it is a very nice family town...

Old 11-05-2006, 02:06 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Don't be discouraged.

I sent you a bunch of pictures of some of the areas you were interested in.
I hope you enjoy them.

yb

Old 11-05-2006, 02:15 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I was wondering if any one has any pictures of Alamogordo, or anything for reasonable low income housing, low crime. I have a daughter who is 12 and we have very little crime here, petty stuff, you don't here much around here in our town. Also what about Carlsbad, Las Cruces,Raton, or Aztec, our town is around 1900 people so we would like to find a town at least the same size.
Thanks for any help you can give. You can e-mail pictures to rdtbrandsoy@web-room.net

Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I lived in Albuquerque for a year in 1970 when my husband was stationed at Kirtland Air Force Base.

We have been coming back to visit relatives and get to know the state every few years since then ... 36 years. We knew long ago that we wanted to retire in New Mexico. Next year our dream will become a reality.

I have never felt unsafe in any area of New Mexico. Maybe I am being naive, but we have never been victims of any crime there, and we stay out of areas that might be questionable.

But having traveled all over the state, we have always met friendly helpful people and felt safe and comfortable.

Perhaps it is all what you make it. I do know that I have no greater concerns about my personal safety in New Mexico than I do any place else in the country. I can hardly wait to make the move!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:06 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
MarMar, New Mexico really isn't all that different in crime from other states. Albuquerque's crime is mostly just like other large cities and much less crime than Phoenix. ABQ has grown tremendously, so it is getting to be on the larger scale, with cities like Dallas and Denver. The suburbs around ABQ are some of the fastest growing cities in America like Rio Rancho. So there will be crime just like anywhere else. Some towns are more edgier like Clovis, Gallup and Hobbs. Still though you don't see large numbers of murders and most of those are drug related.

You just use common sense. Don't leave keys in your car, lock your doors, don't be going to gang areas at night, leave drugs alone. Just common sense and you'll be fine. You might invest in a good burglar alarm. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about living in NM. I see old ladies out and about strolling around even in ABQ and mothers with their babies strolling around. If it was all that bad, you wouldn't see that. If you want cities with less crime, like suggested, Alamogordo is a good one. Silver City, Aztec, Edgewood, Moriarty, Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Tucumcari, Raton and so on are all pretty good places to live. Tucumcari just lacks shopping and jobs, so that is why I don't mention it much. There are other great places too in NM.

If you decide on a town, go there and ask local people, right there in that town, how is the crime? Do they like living there? Are the people friendly? etc. You would be surprised how many people will open up and be totally honest with you. I would ask many, because one isn't enough to give you a stable scale to judge. Go to the schools, if you have kids, and ask questions. I have even asked the police, because they see everything and can tell you point blank about a place. Hope this helps!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:20 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Yorkie_Mom, I see that your town is very small at 1900. Alamogordo is a lot more than that, even though it is a nice family city, but it has over 35,000 so may be too big for you. Aztec will have around 6,800 so more in line with what you are looking for; or Raton at around 7,200. Las Cruces is much bigger at over 80,000, last I heard. There is a small little heard about town, near Aztec, called Flora Vista at about 1400. That would be very close to your town size.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:09 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I don't think crime is very high in New Mexico, but the newspapers and news stations do emphasis the crime that occurs. I'd say the most frequent crimes reports are DWI, and accidents that occur as a result of driving while drinking.

Overall, however, I'd say New Mexico is a safe, and above average acceptable place for young children. Here in little Taos (approx. 5,000 inner town figure), you can leave your money on a counter, walk around a store for 15 to 30 minutes and come back to your wallet sitting exactly where you left it. Also people's personal property (lawn, garden, etc) are never touched or removed. People seem very respectful of each other, and that contributes to lower crime.

I mention these because I remember crying in Rhode Island when I came out of my house and found my wind-chimes (made especially for me) gone

I'd not overly worry about crime in the State, but concentrate on what is important to you and your family in terms of accommodations, weather, cost of living, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
MarMar,

New Mexico is a sparcely populated state, which means there's lots of isolation/desolation.

If you're worried about crime, use common sense. Avoid dangerous neighborhoods, don't be confrontational, and stay private.

This is a wonderful state with many people who are friendly and a landscape that beckons.

I lived in California for 35 years, moved to NM three years ago, and feel a lot more comfortable here, mainly because most of the citizens don't have an "attitude" and the land is sacred .

Old 11-07-2006, 08:29 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Don't fret about the crime, you can definately see the problem areas and know well enough to stay away from them. It does not take long to figure it out!

Alamogordo is a must see for anyone considering a move to NM. Fantastic town, unless you depend on nightlife activities.

There are some areas in Gallup and Grants I have been told are high in racial tensions. But you have to visit the area first - it has been 7 years since I have been there.

Cannot stress enough the importance of being respectful, non-confrontational and confident...people down there are very nice as a rule but they do not take kindly to being trampled over or disrespected. It is by far a very peaceful, serene land with a few scattered problem areas. Southern areas of Albuquerque, Southern areas of Clovis are two huge problem areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico