Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 52,645 times

Advertisements

Anyone out here know of a place to retire in New Mexico that has a good enough supply of water sustainably, along with having a decent Cost of Living, decent opportunities for recreation, activities, medical care options good....We were strongly considering Las Cruces until I read the dire predictions in the 'water thread".that may have cancelled that choice.Any input is appreciated thanks. AmberyWolf

Note: Like the Silver City and some high desert areas, (Northern areas),but more limited choices for medical treatment(if needed), and COL seems higher there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,324,373 times
Don't take me to heart on this, but I think I remember reading somewhere recently, that Sandia Heights is a good option to retire in New Mexico. It's a smaller town (population of around 5K I think) and apparently has water supply to at least 2060, hopefully that'll be enough time to get your through to the end (not meaning that in a bad way, just don't know how old you're)!!!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Don't take me to heart on this, but I think I remember reading somewhere recently, that Sandia Heights is a good option to retire in New Mexico. It's a smaller town (population of around 5K I think) and apparently has water supply to at least 2060, hopefully that'll be enough time to get your through to the end (not meaning that in a bad way, just don't know how old you're)!!!
Sandia Heights is a census-designated place in Bernalillo County, New Mexico. The population was 10,293 at the 2010 census. It is not part of the city of Albuquerque (ABQ), but it is on the northeast edge of the city of ABQ... It is difficult to tell the difference from some of the ABQ neighborhoods...

Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberywolf View Post
Anyone out here know of a place to retire in New Mexico that has a good enough supply of water sustainably, along with having a decent Cost of Living, decent opportunities for recreation, activities, medical care options good....We were strongly considering Las Cruces until I read the dire predictions in the 'water thread".that may have cancelled that choice.Any input is appreciated thanks. AmberyWolf

Note: Like the Silver City and some high desert areas, (Northern areas),but more limited choices for medical treatment(if needed), and COL seems higher there.
We are retired in the Albuquerque area. We have been here 15+ years. We are near a variety of medical facilities, more than any other area in New Mexico. We are 5 miles from a major hospital. There is plenty of activities for us and our family members. "decent Cost of Living" is a vague term. We are not interested in an isolated rural area. We have lived in AL, AZ, FL, GA, MA, MD, NM, NY, PA, SC, TX and Overseas ...

---------------------------------------------
New Mexico Data On State Water Supply Not Sufficient For Future Planning
By Simon Thompson • Mar 9, 2015

New Mexico Data On State Water Supply Not Sufficient For Future Planning | KRWG

Quote:
New Mexico has been in a sustained drought since 2002 far longer than experts predicted. And scientists from NASA, Cornell and Columbia University are warning if climate change continues the way it has the drought may get a lot worse.
Quote:
““The problem is we have more water users than we have water- and we are not managing our water in an integrated way” said Sam Fernald, New Mexico State professor and Director of the Water Resources Research Institute.
---------------------------------------------

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Retirement options with better water situation.

Thanks all for the input! We are considering now Sandia Heights as well as East Mountains, places like Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Edgewood. Desire a bit of land, views and more serenity/privacy. Just concerned(need to research) about how the wells are doing out there, in the last areas listed,maybe depends on the exact spot that it's drilled at and the depth. Hear some are good, some not, from talking to folks there about 16 years back, maybe worsened since then? Looked at the links sent, pretty scary in some ways, climate change, extended drought, water tables dropping, but feel some areas may still be somewhat good, some obviously not. Appears Las Cruces may not have the best chances for sustained water reservoirs, (from the underground 2 basins, and the depleting water flow in the Rio Grande, the further south you go)in the years to come. But perhaps Albuquerque and outlying communities and some places north better.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:17 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Taos. It has a hospital. Seems to have more surface water and greenery than a lot of places.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:02 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberywolf View Post
Thanks all for the input! We are considering now Sandia Heights as well as East Mountains, places like Cedar Crest, Tijeras, Edgewood. Desire a bit of land, views and more serenity/privacy. Just concerned(need to research) about how the wells are doing out there
Why so worried about water? Are you planning a farming operation? There will always be plenty of water for household needs.

The East Mountain area is serviced by public water, Entranosa Water. The well depths also didn't look bad when I researched this.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,159,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
There will always be plenty of water for household needs.
Having plenty of water for household needs assumes that one has a good (affordable) well in rural areas. Even if there are community water systems, the ability to keep wells working can be problematic.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Where we lived before I had a nice property but alas a poor well, some neighbors the same, but a few had good flow. Quality in all was extremely poor, very hard and too many minerals, esp.iron was off the charts. I had to work on mine several times moving to different depths within 10 years, was costly. Had minimal gardens, a lovely tall desert willow, yuccas,tall rose bushes(most came with the property).I used water very sparingly. Some stunted fruit trees came with the property that never really took off, as water flow wasn't sufficient to water them well enough. I had 2 holding tanks that helped some. But water would often stop flowing after 30 minutes, so then had to wait until it recharged.(a few hours or until maybe the next day!) So I gave up on the fruit trees, hauled water regularly from nearest small city to supplement mine and for drinking water for myself, my housemate and my pet rescue animals, as local cities water was ok to drink. I had to split up any outside watering to no more than 15 minutes at a time. Mine was never drinkable. Left NM a few years back partly because of such water troubles. Now in Washington, having community water on the island we live on that now, egads! is rumored to run out maybe at some point with such fast unlimited development/growth on the island. Imagine that in the wet Pacific Northwest, to have water troubles follow me here..haha just being ironic. Missing NM for many reasons, feel deeply in my (and hubby's)soul and spirit begs us to return even if NM is in sustained drought. Therefore it is paramount to find a place to have a reliable water source. To uproot ourselves yet once again to follow out Hearts, want to do it smartly.

Last edited by amberywolf; 07-09-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Why so worried about water? Are you planning a farming operation? There will always be plenty of water for household needs.

The East Mountain area is serviced by public water, Entranosa Water. The well depths also didn't look bad when I researched this.
rruff; I see you are in Ruidoso, close to where I had formerly lived. Many property owners had water concerns in that lovely resort town, there were city meetings on it regularly I hear. Grindstone dam reservoir actually shrank each year I saw that clearly when I hiked around it, for all of the 10 years I lived in that area. Therefore I am rather surprised you would say so casually that there will always be water for household needs. (God-willing and Mother Nature's blessing hopefully!)Ruidoso's water supply is dwindling as per an Engineer I met and spoke with, about 4 years back. Continued growth and development simply needs to be balanced.No more golf courses in Ruidoso and Alto would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico