U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM

8,815 posts, read 8,806,066 times

Advertisements

Anyone old enough to have memories of Walker Air Force Base, which was south of Roswell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 06:40 PM

4,169 posts, read 6,594,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Anyone old enough to have memories of Walker Air Force Base, which was south of Roswell?
Sure, I remember it, along with another SAC base - Biggs Field in El Paso. Both former SAC bases have second lives. Biggs Field has never been idle, seeing use by various military factions to this day.

Walker AFB also has seen a variety of uses over the years since its closing:

Quote:
Walker AFB today

Walker AFB was officially closed on 30 June 1967. It has since been redeveloped by civil authorities into the Roswell International Air Center. Large numbers of out-of-service aircraft are stored on the parking ramps and disused taxiways/runways for refurbishment and sale. In addition, the Boeing Company uses RIAC for braking performance testing of its aircraft, most recent was the testing of the BF Goodrich carbon brakes on the 737-900ER model. Also testing on brakes was performed on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

The Eastern New Mexico University has built a large campus on the west side of the former base, however much of the base still has the look and feel of the former Air Force Base. Many former Air Force buildings, including aircraft hangars, maintenance shops, barracks, and office buildings have been reused for private interests. The large housing area still exists, with the former government housing units in private hands. Large numbers of buildings have also been removed or torn down, leaving large areas of vacant land with streets and former parking lots and concrete foundations.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:47 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,450,597 times
I met an older man at just a few years ago here in CT. He had a B52 hat on and I asked him if he was in the Air Force like I was. He said he was at Walker in the 1950s. We got to talking how I hated those 12 hour shifts at Holloman during alerts. He then said when they went on alerts they would have to work 36 hours straight with little time off between shifts. That was SAC during the Lemay years. Never saw the man again.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 AM

16,271 posts, read 20,369,151 times
Roswell Army Air Field is what it used to be called IIRC. My older brother's best friend was stationed there in the early 1960's, I went down there with my brother to visit him a couple times on summer vacation (was living in the Denver area at the time.) I remember a fair amount of military bases around the country were getting closed up right when the Vietnam War was escalating. I'm thinking 1968 or thereabouts.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:39 AM

1 posts, read 135 times
Default Former Assignment

Fresh from basic training, I was assigned to Walker. Coming from a large city on the East Coast, it was a shock! Never the less I settled in and was assigned to the Photo Lab., learning skills. Col Irvine, Wing Commander, so the story goes, determined the B29s were in need of some TLC. The Photo Lab was essentially closed and personnel, especially a PFC, began washing aircraft, prior to major maintenance. Dirty and happy in my work, another assignment: asssigned (numerous PFCs) to the 509th Food Service Sq! Well, For three months that was my messy job, until I was called in, complimented on performance and offered release. I chose an assignment to the Supply Sect., Food Service Sq.
In the meantime, while attending an Air Force Aid Society activity on the flight line. One purpose was to welcome the first C-124 to Walker. While enjoying the celebration, I met the “Love of My Life.” She was visiting her Sister and Brother-In-law, Capt Darrell Davis. Shortly there after, Nola and I married, and remained happily married for 65 years, until her death, July, 2015.
So what started as I believed to be a bad assignment, turned out to be a true blessing. We departed Walker in 1952 for England. At three month short of 87, my fondness wish, God Willing, is to visit Walker and Roswell, before the Lord calls me Home. Donald (Don) Martin

Old 11-25-2018, 08:30 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,368,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Walker AFB has a very interesting history. For one, It hosted the USAF unit (393rd Bomb Squadron) that during WW2 dropped the two atomic bombs on Japan. And Colonel Paul Tibbets commanded the squadron's host wing at Walker for a year or so after the war ended.

A division-level base, Walker's second wing briefly hosted a strategic missile squadron controlling a number of ICBM sites scattered around the West.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 11-25-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 08:35 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,368,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladon2 View Post
Fresh from basic training, I was assigned to Walker. Coming from a large city on the East Coast, it was a shock! Never the less I settled in and was assigned to the Photo Lab., learning skills. Col Irvine, Wing Commander, so the story goes, determined the B29s were in need of some TLC. The Photo Lab was essentially closed and personnel, especially a PFC, began washing aircraft, prior to major maintenance. Dirty and happy in my work, another assignment: asssigned (numerous PFCs) to the 509th Food Service Sq! Well, For three months that was my messy job, until I was called in, complimented on performance and offered release. I chose an assignment to the Supply Sect., Food Service Sq.
In the meantime, while attending an Air Force Aid Society activity on the flight line. One purpose was to welcome the first C-124 to Walker. While enjoying the celebration, I met the “Love of My Life.” She was visiting her Sister and Brother-In-law, Capt Darrell Davis. Shortly there after, Nola and I married, and remained happily married for 65 years, until her death, July, 2015.
So what started as I believed to be a bad assignment, turned out to be a true blessing. We departed Walker in 1952 for England. At three month short of 87, my fondness wish, God Willing, is to visit Walker and Roswell, before the Lord calls me Home. Donald (Don) Martin
Thanks for your service and the memories of the good old days. Walker AFB has a storied history. As a kid in the mid-60s, I grew up at Cannon AFB a few miles across the tumbleweeds from Roswell, before I wound up going to Seoul, Korea. I'd like to retire in New Mexico. But I couldn't wait to get out of Clovis when I was a teen.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 PM

73 posts, read 46,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladon2 View Post

Thanks for sharing your memories from back then.

Old Today, 08:27 PM

1 posts
I was born and raised in Roswell, NM. Graduated from RHS in 1957. I can remember sneaking into the Airman’s Club and helping them drink beer. Good thing that we never got caught, they would have still been piping sunlight into our cell. When I graduated and got a job I stayed with it. I still remember when the closure was announced. I didn’t realize it at the time but almost all my friends were at Walker AFB. Good days and good people. I hope that they are all as well thought of and are still successful.
JamesF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico