Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 04:41 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Rural folks often believe in personal responsibility and self-sufficiency and expect people who move into their community to share those values.
You've gotta be kidding. A lot of these "rural folks" (and I'm not singling out those in NM) never met a government hand-out they didn't like and wouldn't take. A higher percentage of them are on government checks and other benefits (state and county paychecks, social security, welfare, food stamps, medicaid etc.), not to mention farm, phone, air service, postal service, and hospital subsidies, than those anywhere else outside of inner-city housing projects. I've always found the myth of rural rugged individualism and self-sufficiency amusing.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-04-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 47,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You've gotta be kidding. A lot of these "rural folks" (and I'm not singling out those in NM) never met a government hand-out they didn't like and wouldn't take. A higher percentage of them are on government checks and other benefits (state and county paychecks, social security, welfare, food stamps, medicaid etc.), not to mention farm, phone, air service, postal service, and hospital subsidies, than those anywhere else outside of inner-city housing projects. I've always found the myth of rural rugged individualism and self-sufficiency amusing.
and how do you know this?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeandproud View Post
and how do you know this?
I read government statistics and have been on the planet a few decades. It's no big secret.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Why are you trying to insult me, my family and many of my friends?

Yes, my mother was on Social Security at the age of 60+ years of age after paying into the system since it was created. Your not singling out those in NM? So who are you singling out? Cava1990, Just who are you attacking?

The title of this thread is What do you love/hate about New Mexico? so why are you posting here? if you are "not singling out those in NM"?

My family or I have have never received "government hand-out" but you are willing to imply they have. That's what you hate about New Mexico? Or are you just sitting on your thumbs and flapping your jaws again...

Old 09-05-2010, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
cava, in some state, those living in the rural areas would rather starve than take any type of assistance. There is a difference between hard working country folks and lazy country folks.

Nita

Old 09-05-2010, 04:15 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where does it feel creepy? And in what way creepy? (I might want to go check those out depending on the kind of creepy)
Well, it just feels unsafe. Like for example you are driving around and there are all these trailers/mobile homes all run down with tires on top - it just feels creepy. Downtown Silver City has a "drag" where all these weird characters drive around aimlessly, loud music, windows down, staring at you, just doesn't make me feel comfortable. Albuquerque, for example, the area around Central Avenue, driving on "historic route 66" is very creepy. Same with Santa Fe. First you drive by a million dollar home that looks nice and then you find yourself in an area that feels run down and weird. That's all.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:24 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
cava, in some state, those living in the rural areas would rather starve than take any type of assistance. There is a difference between hard working country folks and lazy country folks.

Nita
Hmm. There were a few shows like (I think) 20/20 or 60 minutes or something that reflected on the amount of aid that farmers receive from the tax payers. The basic question was why subsidize these businesses and not others. People say well, these businesses produce your food. But, this is where lobbyists get involved and crooked business too so we end up subsidizing corn producers not to actually produce corn for your food but to produce high fructose corn syrup which ends up being in everything processed which ends up costing the nation billions of dollars in all the costs connected to obesity, diabetes etc. There were a few other crops that are subsidized that make no sense. Anyways, I am not sure though that every rural person is a farmer and that every rural person collects some kind of a subsidy. I find that to be a generalization and every generalization is inherently bad.

Sorry for going off topic - I don't personally think all rural folks are bad or crooked and I am pretty curious how this "aid" mentioned in the thread relates to "love vs. hate" or better yet, how it affects the rural life.

OD

Old 09-05-2010, 05:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Albuquerque and Santa Fe are my two most favorite parts of New Mexico! I also love Alamogordo and Demming!

I really didn't like Roswell because it was virtually in the middle of nowhere. Although, I did get a kick out of the McDonald's that looks like a space ship!

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I still want to move to Socorro for several reasons.

I can own a small house for the current cost of my condo in southern NH.
I plan on taking courses at NMT to catch up on the state of the art in environmental science.
Town is small enough to walk to stores etc.
Night sky is dark and clear for stargazing.
I could ride my motorcycles year round.
Great food is cheap.

My wife is concerned about losing our current set of friends but I think we could just invite them out for a vacation or two and they would move out to NM.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:09 AM

560 posts, read 1,714,536 times
After five years in Santa Fe, here's what I've come away with:

1. Fall / Autum
2. Relatively business friendly (the state as a whole... not S.F.)
3. Centrally located to other states I frequently drive to
4. Adobe / stucco look... although only with decent landscaping
5. cost of living (outside Santa Fe)
6. people are friendly
7. snow, but not too much

Dislikes:

1. Pretty much anything and everything in Santa Fe
2. lack of professional sports
3. lack of a good amusement park
4. ABQ isn't as bad, but generally speaking, horrible hospitals.
5. Bad / stupid drivers
6. Lotaburger
7. completely inept at snow removal (this may only be in Santa Fe?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico