Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times

Advertisements

I am an Albuquerquean, so I am coming somewhat with the "Albuquerque region" perspective, however, I am very familiar with the Middle Rio Grande coridor through Las Cruces/Anthony, and also Santa Fe.

What I love about New Mexico (the list is long and predominates my side of this):

-Sunrises/sunsets

-Uniqueness (culture, topography, history)...New Mexico is truly one of the very few truly "unique" states in the U.S.

-Size/variation...New Mexico is so large geographically, and is so diverse. The north has huge mountains with snow/pine-like climates, Los Alamos and Santa Fe are mountain cities with breathtaking views, Albuquerque-to-Las Cruces is largely desert with mountainous vistas and the Rio Grande, Carlsbad and Ruidoso are both beautiful and near each other but amazingly different, eastern New Mexico is more like the panhandle of Texas, etc. While other states vary here and there, overall state-wise they are generally much the same. New Mexico's difference between Angel Fire and Las Cruces is night-and-day.

-The ever-present sunshine

-The vast, bright blue skies

-The food! (New Mexican cuisine is hard to beat)

-The laid back nature of residents in the state

-Sandia Peak (and the Sandias being so near the city)

-Albuquerque's and Las Cruces' near-perfect year-round weather with seasons

-The dry air...very few mosquitoes...in elevations 5,500 feet and lower (from Albuquerque down) generally very little snow (except for this past Dec-Jan!)

-The summertime intense, dry heat

-Albuquerque's springs...they come very early (start seeing blossoms and blooms in late Feb/early March) and stick around a while.

-The golf courses!

-Albuquerque International Sunport (perfect size, and that it is named the "Sunport")

-Green and red chile

-Open, quiet, amazingly beautiful, sometimes "haunting" drive, hike, and run opportunities

-The ability to be outdoors almost every day of the year - winter, spring, summer, and fall

-The less materialistic, less frentic nature of people

-The architecture

-Old Town in Albuquerque and Isotopes' Park in Albuquerque

-The ABQ Int'l Balloon Fiestas (and corresponding breakfast burritos and hot chocolate on crisp mornings)

-The aroma of pinon wood burning

-Cacti

-Roadrunners (my out-of-state friends are intrigued at these creatures)

-The Pit

-The unique restaurants

-Low property taxes

-Albuquerque's recent "big government" attitude / city council

-Rising house prices in Albuquerque and Las Cruces (and insane prices in Santa Fe)

-Not many lakes/rivers (although...that is what makes much of the state desert, and that is what provides the perks like the blue skies, sunshine, dry air, etc.)

Old 04-06-2007, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 109,817 times
I feel the best thing about New Mexico are the places that most people don't know about. I'm talking about back-country hiking. A great place to go is Apache Box. This is a canyon located just five miles from the Arizona border, and the nearest "town" is Mule Creek, which is near Cliff, which is near Silver City. I recommend this area only to the more experienced hikers because it's not so family-friendly. There are no trails, and the drive out there is even hard to find. Pretty much the only you might find it is if you or someone else you know who can tell you the exact directions has been there.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
I am an Albuquerquean, so I am coming somewhat with the "Albuquerque region" perspective, however, I am very familiar with the Middle Rio Grande coridor through Las Cruces/Anthony, and also Santa Fe.

What I love about New Mexico (the list is long and predominates my side of this):

-Sunrises/sunsets

-Uniqueness (culture, topography, history)...New Mexico is truly one of the very few truly "unique" states in the U.S.

-Size/variation...New Mexico is so large geographically, and is so diverse. The north has huge mountains with snow/pine-like climates, Los Alamos and Santa Fe are mountain cities with breathtaking views, Albuquerque-to-Las Cruces is largely desert with mountainous vistas and the Rio Grande, Carlsbad and Ruidoso are both beautiful and near each other but amazingly different, eastern New Mexico is more like the panhandle of Texas, etc. While other states vary here and there, overall state-wise they are generally much the same. New Mexico's difference between Angel Fire and Las Cruces is night-and-day.

-The ever-present sunshine

-The vast, bright blue skies

-The food! (New Mexican cuisine is hard to beat)

-The laid back nature of residents in the state

-Sandia Peak (and the Sandias being so near the city)

-Albuquerque's and Las Cruces' near-perfect year-round weather with seasons

-The dry air...very few mosquitoes...in elevations 5,500 feet and lower (from Albuquerque down) generally very little snow (except for this past Dec-Jan!)

-The summertime intense, dry heat

-Albuquerque's springs...they come very early (start seeing blossoms and blooms in late Feb/early March) and stick around a while.

-The golf courses!

-Albuquerque International Sunport (perfect size, and that it is named the "Sunport")

-Green and red chile

-Open, quiet, amazingly beautiful, sometimes "haunting" drive, hike, and run opportunities

-The ability to be outdoors almost every day of the year - winter, spring, summer, and fall

-The less materialistic, less frentic nature of people

-The architecture

-Old Town in Albuquerque and Isotopes' Park in Albuquerque

-The ABQ Int'l Balloon Fiestas (and corresponding breakfast burritos and hot chocolate on crisp mornings)

-The aroma of pinon wood burning

-Cacti

-Roadrunners (my out-of-state friends are intrigued at these creatures)

-The Pit

-The unique restaurants

-Low property taxes

-Albuquerque's recent "big government" attitude / city council

-Rising house prices in Albuquerque and Las Cruces (and insane prices in Santa Fe)

-Not many lakes/rivers (although...that is what makes much of the state desert, and that is what provides the perks like the blue skies, sunshine, dry air, etc.)
Once again EnjoyEP proves as to why he is the most POSITIVE Poster and my Favorate on the New Mexico and West Texas Threads. The New Mexico Tourism Dept would do well to hire you !! Keep up the good work !!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
Endlessly changing panoramas of light and shade, subtly shifting hues, and magnificent sunsets.

Here are just a few examples with a few photos I have taken:

Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
_yb

Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM
_yb

And every once in a while you find something that does not look like it belongs in the desert:

Lots of negatives to NM but I will save those for later.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM

271 posts, read 1,125,693 times
Wow! no words could describe those beautiful photos, Thanks a lot "yb".

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,042 times
My goodness.... what INCREDIBLE photos!!!

New Mexico has so much natural beauty.

The people are friendly and welcoming.

I don't think there are lots of negatives other than way too much drunk driving and the crazy speeding drivers.

The other things it doesn't have are just my preferences but not what I would call negatives. I've discovered that I'm more of a big city girl and I just don't get that from Albuquerque even though there are so many really nice things about New Mexico.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
EnjoyEP ~ I just loved your post! Thank you for the list of all the wonderful things you like about NM.

_yb ~ Your photos are just stunning! Thanks for posting them for us!

This is a really good thread.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:18 PM

212 posts, read 689,134 times
Love:

The weather
The food (YUMMO!)
The scenery

Hate:

Everything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico