U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 PM

950 posts, read 2,132,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingMO View Post
the facts that I did present about northern New Mexico. So, if you call facts whiney, that's your choice.

I also know that you like to stick your nose in business that's not yours, considering that your location is the ABQ foothills, and not the Valley area. Are you really so bored that this is all you have to do?
Mo, my problem with your postings is that you generalize from your experience in Espanola to all of Northern New Mexico.

Should I generalize from St. Louis to all of Missouri? According to Wikipedia:

"The City of St. Louis has one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the United States and has ranked among the nation's top ten in crime for years. According to FBI statistics, the city ranked third in 2005 in the country's highest murder rates for cities above 250,000.[26] According to Morgan Quitno's "14th Annual America's safest/most dangerous cities" report, St. Louis dropped from the number one "Most Dangerous" city in America in 2006 back to the number two most dangerous city in America in 2007.[27]"

Is the same true of all Missouri?

Or is all of Missouri like Branson??? Crowded, tacky, with aging stars performing?? Will I find Any Williams and Cher burbling away wherever I go in Missouri? Will I find the same bumper to bumper traffic? The same wall-to-wall tacky resorts?

No, that would be totally ridiculous of me to draw such unfounded generalizations.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 04-13-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:37 PM

5,553 posts, read 9,425,776 times
MissingMO didn't whine about:

> I also know that you like to stick your nose in business that's not yours,

How do you know that?

> considering that your location is the ABQ foothills, and not the Valley area.

Sorry. I'm just a little guy and otnay ootay ightbray.

How can I know what threads I'm entitled to contribute, er stick my nose into, and what threads that you won't permit me to comment on?

> Are you really so bored that this is all you have to do?

Yeah. Basically.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 PM

12 posts, read 20,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Mo, my problem with your postings is that you generalize from your experience in Espanola to all of Northern New Mexico.

Should I generalize from St. Louis to all of Missouri? According to Wikipedia:

"The City of St. Louis has one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the United States and has ranked among the nation's top ten in crime for years. According to FBI statistics, the city ranked third in 2005 in the country's highest murder rates for cities above 250,000.[26] According to Morgan Quitno's "14th Annual America's safest/most dangerous cities" report, St. Louis dropped from the number one "Most Dangerous" city in America in 2006 back to the number two most dangerous city in America in 2007.[27]"

Is the same true of all Missouri?

Or is all of Missouri like Branson??? Crowded, tacky, with aging stars performing?? Will I find Any Williams and Cher burbling away wherever I go in Missouri? Will I find the same bumper to bumper traffic? The same wall-to-wall tacky resorts?

No, that would be totally ridiculous of me to draw such unfounded generalizations.

Okay, first of all, I never said that I generalize all of my opinions and facts on Espanola. I am on the TAOS forum, and have been there several times. Also not to mention that this thread was started asking about places between Santa Fe and Taos...which is where I live. I have been to ABQ many times and I have friends and family that live there, and did not say too much about there. You did not do anything to disprove what I had stated. So......

And about St. Louis, you can't state all of Missouri the same way. Trying to use what I said against me and not even reading all that I said. I never said all of New Mexico was bad, but certain portions are and the state is #2 on AOL's Most Dangerous States in America. Obviously what I said has some truth.

About Branson, obviously you don't know what it's like to live near a successful American tourist town, second on the country music capital's list after Nashville. There are more than Andy Williams (which by the way you spelled wrong), and there are theme parks and lots of outdoor water sports that a lot of people here do not get to enjoy. I am not stating what I have said based on a "vacation" or reading up on the internet, I have actually lived close to there. There are a lot of other people who say that the midwest is one of the best places to live in the country and to raise a family. Not to mention, most of the school systems are on the top lists in the country, which not a lot of people here would know about because NM schools are at the bottom.

Back to Branson, bumper to bumper traffic is what you deal with when you live near the lakes and people coming to visit because it's beautiful. Honestly, you made yourself look silly by saying that Branson is awful and has bumper to bumper traffic, because if it was so terrible and "tacky" then why would there be so many people visiting to make the traffic bumper to bumper? The only way that happens in a town of 3,000 is to have LOTS of visitors. And why is it that Missouri is so much more visited than New Mexico? I wonder....

Maybe next time you should get ALL of your facts on what you're defending and trying to cut down on, shouldn't you?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM

Question Hard to understand.

MO,

You know what I don't understand is that whenever I go to Espanola -- and I go there a lot to eat, shop and socialize -- everyone is so nice and warm and friendly.

Yet they don't seem to like you.

It's mystifying.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 PM

12 posts, read 20,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
MO,

You know what I don't understand is that whenever I go to Espanola -- and I go there a lot to eat, shop and socialize -- everyone is so nice and warm and friendly.

Yet they don't seem to like you.

It's mystifying.
First of all, great argument on what I said. Wow, you must be great at assumptions...shocking Interesting...I never said anything about not being liked...because, well I am, so no problems there

What is interesting about you is that based on your "comments" you are most likely the same as most around here, never lived anywhere else and think there's nothing better. Oh, wait, am I assuming??? Oops...

My husband being in management, we actually have quite a few friends here, and what's funny about that, is most of them have lived most of their lives here and HATE it...in fact, we took one of the families on a trip to MO with us and they are actually planning to move there at the end of the summer.

Hmmm...interesting...

Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Unhappy My apologies

You will have to forgive me, MO, but I didn't read your last three posts after the first sentence in each -- they just sounded like all your other posts -- sad.

I am sure that you said some brilliant things however. Please keep them flowing -- many will appreciate them.

And I wish you all happiness.

And please excuse my mistake -- It is not Cher, it is Charo -- one of the many fabulous stars that appears in the Las Vegas of the Midwest -- Branson.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Location: In the country southeast of Santa Fe, but only 20 minutes to the historic Plaza.
629 posts, read 860,959 times
Hey you two, time to chill....Devin defends NM - that's cool. MissingMO misses MO, and that's just fine too. There's no right answer here. I've lived in MO and KS and thought the folks there were just great. Columbia and Lawrence are two university town gems. Oh the stories I could tell......... While TO ME nothing nowhere beats New Mexico (despite corrupt politicians and lenient judges), I've lived in around a dozen states and can truly say that I've met wonderful folks wherever I've been. We can be happy anywhere (well, almost anywhere); it's largely about attitude. Peace brother .... Peace sister......

Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM

3,059 posts, read 6,260,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Some of you people on this forum seem to be retired old farts with nothing better to do than comment on this forum. I imagine many of you never have been to Espanola on a Saturday night.
Why is it necessary or productive to make personal comments like that one?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM

918 posts, read 1,761,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
There a(re) nice people in Espanola and everywhere else in the country... However, MO brings up some truthful and salient points regarding that town. People thinking of moving there need to know the negatives and not just the positives. I imagine many of you never have been to Espanola on a Saturday night. I have often, and it is fine, but if you are not watching your back, you might end up the victim of a crime.
^Fair, thoughtful and personal comments. A real plus to the discussion and the reason why I enjoy forums like this.

Quote:
Some of you people on this forum seem to be retired old farts with nothing better to do than comment on this forum.
^Negates any other comments associated with the post it's in.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:42 AM

Default In the name of peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Hey you two, time to chill....Devin defends NM - that's cool. MissingMO misses MO, and that's just fine too. There's no right answer here. I've lived in MO and KS and thought the folks there were just great. Columbia and Lawrence are two university town gems. Oh the stories I could tell......... While TO ME nothing nowhere beats New Mexico (despite corrupt politicians and lenient judges), I've lived in around a dozen states and can truly say that I've met wonderful folks wherever I've been. We can be happy anywhere (well, almost anywhere); it's largely about attitude. Peace brother .... Peace sister......
In the name of peace, you stir up a dispute that has been dead for three weeks?

Peace begins at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico