Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2006, 03:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times

Advertisements

We previously discussed the fact that NM is a poor state. But when I search at apartment listings or housing, it seems to be very expensive. For instance, in the detailed profile of a lot of cities, the average cost of housing was quite high and that's in the year 2000. How do people survive if they don't have a lot of money. Do the jobs pay quite well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2006, 03:51 PM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times
New Mexico real estate prices can be very high in certain places, but they are still below national average in most places. One good thing about New Mexico is that property taxes are very low, so you have to factor that in when you think about buying a place. My experience in New Mexico is that most jobs pay very low, probably the lowest I have ever seen anywhere in nation, especially low end jobs. Now, if you have a college degree or higher, and you have a professional career, you will probably make a little less than in most places, but the cost of living in NM can also be very low in most places. I remember food in New Mexico(Albuquerque) being very cheap. I read an article last week about how challenging it has been for some people to make ends meet in NM, they were talking about people working 3 jobs. Honestly,that would not surprise me. New Mexico is probably the worst state in the nation to be poor(in my humble opinion), hope this helps!

Old 11-12-2006, 06:44 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Jammie, Lukeache answered it very well. I will just add that many of the really poor in NM have had family live there for generations. They already have homes, albeit small poor homes passed on to them, but they don't have monthly payments looming over them. So they make it. The higher new home prices are, for one, the result of the rich or upper class moving into NM from places like expensive California.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:42 AM

75 posts, read 410,072 times
Exclamation extended families bring in just enough.

I know of several long time (many generations) families living in the Santa Fe area. They have paid off homes, usually old homes, and parents and working children living at home in an extended family. That is how they get by.
Also, Walmart and Sam's club have been a real savings to families in Santa Fe, much as the politicians seem to hate this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico