Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Mexico: market, housing, safe area, college, economy.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:10 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,535 times

Advertisements

A number of people who post here are thinking about moving to NM. I thought they might be interested in current info about the market in cities across the state from someone who should know -- the CEO of the Homebuilders Association as quoted in New Mexico Business Weekly:
"Jack Milarch, CEO of the New Mexico Home Builders Association, says builders and subcontractors at a recent round-table discussion told him that most of the action now is in Hobbs, Gallup, Ruidoso and Farmington, and that they are having trouble hiring enough employees in those areas.

Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Las Cruces, meanwhile, are seeing a series of downturns, with some builders and subcontractors getting half as much work as the same time a year ago.
"The numbers back that up. Between January and November 2007, new-home permits declined to less than half from the same period in 2005 -- 3,874 permits compared to 8,090

What this should mean to buyers is that at least some builders in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces metro areas should be working off excessive inventory of newly built housing. That in turn may hold down prices of housing across the board and create opportunities for buyers in these metro areas.

Of course, this is a temporary phenomenon. In nine months the lists could be totally different.

I'd add on my own, that if you are interested in Santa Fe, then don't be too discouraged by the higher median prices. Santa Fe has a significant amount of expensive/luxury housing aimed at wealthy out-of-towners. These houses drive up the median price. But if you look at comparable housing, then you should find that Santa Fe is not as expensive as you thought.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 01-26-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
What is your definition of expensive? I can't find anything under $165,000 in Santa Fe except mobile homes and one bedroom condos (and a couple two bdrm condos.) It's not the place for first time buyers, not living alone, or have interests/hobbies and need room for them.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 PM

I never meant to imply you could find something that inexpensive in Santa Fe -- sorry if I did. I think you might find something like this in Espanola with regularly scheduled one-stop commuter bus service into Santa Fe. But I am not sure -- you don't say exactly how many square feet you are looking for.

You might even find something in Los Alamos, with reputedly the best public schools in New Mexico and the same one-stop commuter bus service.

You might also be able to find something comparable south of Santa Fe, but I am not as familiar with the area.

I also didn't mean to imply that Santa Fe is the best place for everybody. All I was trying to say is that you can find some places a little cheaper than the median price of home sales might imply.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 01-26-2008 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Devin......hows Espanola doing?? It's always had a bad rap on being poor (little mexico) and lots of Gangsta's. Even a few posters on here over this past year said they were afraid to go there.

But i also remember the last time i was there about 4 or 5 years back there was new housing subdivisions being built and the new supercenter built there. I also used to read about LANL creating some spinoff jobs there to help the local economy....but someone like you from up that way would have the better scoop on the town.

6/3

Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Devin......hows Espanola doing?? It's always had a bad rap on being poor (little mexico) and lots of Gangsta's. Even a few posters on here over this past year said they were afraid to go there.

But i also remember the last time i was there about 4 or 5 years back there was new housing subdivisions being built and the new supercenter built there. I also used to read about LANL creating some spinoff jobs there to help the local economy....but someone like you from up that way would have the better scoop on the town.

6/3
I go up there all the time. I live in northern Santa Fe county and Espanola is closer than the non-tourist shopping area in Santa Fe. I shop, eat out, and visit friends. My favorite restaurant is Paraqua with a Hispanic ownership and predominantly Hispanic customers. I'm Anglo and 67 years old, but never had any problems. Everybody is friendly and welcoming.

It is certainly not little Mexico -- the population may be predominantly Hispanic, but their ancestors got here long before mine did.

Thanks for asking.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
I never meant to imply you could find something that inexpensive in Santa Fe -- sorry if I did. I think you might find something like this in Espanola with regularly scheduled one-stop commuter bus service into Santa Fe. But I am not sure -- you don't say exactly how many square feet you are looking for.

You might even find something in Los Alamos, with reputedly the best public schools in New Mexico and the same one-stop commuter bus service.

You might also be able to find something comparable south of Santa Fe, but I am not as familiar with the area.

I also didn't mean to imply that Santa Fe is the best place for everybody. All I was trying to say is that you can find some places a little cheaper than the median price of home sales might imply.
Thanks Devin--now I understand. I do get grumpy when people think 200M+ is affordable and it would be if there were two incomes or I had a down payment. I've also been on this computer non-stop trying to find somewhere to live. I also feel bad for young families just starting out. Today I went for a walk down to Overlook Park and around White Rock and remembered how much I love New Mexico and I'm happy to be back. Not even sure I want to buy but I definitely don't want to move two times--tired of moving. I'm looking for 2-3 bedrooms and a garage (for a potter's studio.) 1,000 sq ft would be fine along with a community to get involved in and cultural activities and a college. Los Alamos is too small--I'm 55 so schools aren't an issue. I should have lived here when my son was young--he went to Santa Fe High.

It's nice to hear something positive about Espanola because all I've heard is negative. Makes me nervous to even consider living there alone but I also think it would be too small. The more I research ABQ, the more I want to try it. I could take up writing to pass the four hour commute. The Railrunner should cut some time off that too. I'm longing to be settled and begin making friends and becoming involved in the community.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:02 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,325 times
The railrunner will add at least 20 minutes each way to your commute (from 550 in Bernalillo). Thats not including the time it takes to get on and off the bus and train.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
The railrunner will add at least 20 minutes each way to your commute (from 550 in Bernalillo). Thats not including the time it takes to get on and off the bus and train.
Why? Doesn't it go faster than the bus? Right now I figure 20-30 minutes to get to Los Ranchos RR station, take that to Bernallillo and then get on the Park N Ride bus and then walk a few blocks to work. Maybe I could find a vanpool that would be faster.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM

You might give Espanola a look. I went to a party there back before Christmas and there seemed to be stuff going on -- people trying to start a theater and other things I don't remember specifically. Also the Community College was upgraded to a four year college, maybe even masters level and seems to be adding interesting new programs.

And certainly there is room to get involved in politics and try to straighten some of that out.

I suspect Espanola will be changing -- Santa Fe is moving north with increasing population and admittedly expensive housing prices on the north side of the city. The area immediately north of the city can't absorb many people -- too much land is held by BLM, the forest service and the pueblos and too much is already develped and occupied -- new people will move into Espanola and the numerous small towns in the area. I met a young woman the other day who lives by herself in Chimayo and commutes into Santa Fe & they don't have bus service.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 01-27-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
You might give Espanola a look. I went to a party there back before Christmas and there seemed to be stuff going on -- people trying to start a theater and other things I don't remember specifically. Also the Community College was upgraded to a four year college, maybe even masters level and seems to be adding interesting new programs.

And certainly there is room to get involved in politics and try to straighten some of that out.

I suspect Espanola will be changing -- Santa Fe is moving north with increasing population and admittedly expensive housing prices on the north side of the city. The area immediately north of the city can't absorb many people -- too much land is held by BLM, the forest service and the pueblos and too much is already develped and occupied -- new people will move into Espanola and the numerous small towns in the area. I met a young woman the other day who lives by herself in Chimayo and commutes into Santa Fe & they don't have bus service.
Thanks Devin! I will look at Espanola. I just contacted a dean at the college I went to in WA who has family in Espanola (for generations.) I would feel better if I knew someone there since I've heard such horror stories about the crime. I am interested in theater - volunteered to sew costumes in the theater in Olympia, WA and just loved it. This morning I decided I will stay at my friend's house in White Rock until I can save more and make up my mind. If I'm going to commute for hours, I might as well do it in a place that enables me to save money. Now I'm going to enjoy my last week of freedom before beginning work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico