Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM

119 posts, read 207,051 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me about this area? The land is very cheap, so am wondering just what issues could be. Looks nice enough views of distant mountains and mesas. Some vegetation.

Question is water. How much to drill a well, is it even feasible? Altitude is about 7,000 feet. What is the weather there like?

I am simply looking for a piece of land, that is reasonably priced, where I could build a "tiny home" maybe have some animals. Not looking at fancy areas. I want to be out where I don't have to worry about rich neighbors. I love Las Cruces but it's kind of pricey. SF is totally out of my range.

Any feedback is welcome. I'd hate to invest in some land that would be totally useless.

Thanks,
Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 10:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
No idea on the well drilling; highly possible given the neighborhood that you'd have to drill into some pretty tough rock for a long distance. This is also assuming you have water rights, which are often negotiated separately from a land deal (willing to bet your deal on some land doesn't include its water rights). Not uncommon for some wells to have arsenic, iron, and lead issues.

Compared to what you're used to, expect mild summers (half your Florida humidity but just as hot), and expect heavy snowy winters, including brief periods where you literally can't leave town (or your driveway), except that they're also very sunny and bright. In the winter especially, New Mexico really is the sunshine state.

City folks like myself fear rural areas because of the property crime (nothing to do out there but steal from the carpetbagger who's gone back home for the summer/winter/whatever). Whether those fears are unfounded or not I cannot say.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
You may be a little hemmed in in Regina...the corridor where the community is located is only about 4 miles wide between National Forest Service land to the east and a remote part of the Jicarilla Apache Reservation on the west. Also, Cuba will be the nearest town of any size and services there are somewhat limited. There's a basic grocery and a True Value but I'd imagine you'd probably need to be making forays into Albuquerque or Farmington for bigger shopping trips.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
My Uncle was born and raised in that area. Very beautiful. Thoroughly investigate the water rights. What issues are you worried about with rich neighbors? Rural land all around NM has very rich neighbors that own ranches all over. Never seem to be an issue. Our family ranch abuts two very wealthy Texans. They don't bother anyone.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Could anyone tell me about this area? The land is very cheap, so am wondering just what issues could be.

I am simply looking for a piece of land, that is reasonably priced, where I could build a "tiny home" maybe have some animals.
Of course the land is cheap, you might have to spend a bundle for a well, electricity, and a road to your lot...

I have friends who live just outside Cuba, maybe 15 miles south of Regina. They commute to Rio Rancho frequently. We have looked at the area in the past. Ah, the town of Regina and the Regina Fire Department.... We took this picture in July 2007:

The area is green, it is not desert. It gets cold there and too isolated for me.

My advice? If you just have to move there, buy something you can move into, a structure with well, running water, electricity, and a road to your lot

Old 09-14-2015, 03:27 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Of course the land is cheap, you might have to spend a bundle for a well, electricity, and a road to your lot...

I have friends who live just outside Cuba, maybe 15 miles south of Regina. They commute to Rio Rancho frequently. We have looked at the area in the past. Ah, the town of Regina and the Regina Fire Department.... We took this picture in July 2007:

The area is green, it is not desert. It gets cold there and too isolated for me.

My advice? If you just have to move there, buy something you can move into, a structure with well, running water, electricity, and a road to your lot
I had to stop and take pics of that truck myself. Nice. Yep, pretty isolated out there. All I know about Cuba is they have some good places to eat. Shopping...no idea.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
My Uncle was born and raised in that area. Very beautiful. Thoroughly investigate the water rights. What issues are you worried about with rich neighbors? Rural land all around NM has very rich neighbors that own ranches all over. Never seem to be an issue. Our family ranch abuts two very wealthy Texans. They don't bother anyone.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was referring to people with large fancy homes. I simply want to live in a rural area. I'm not looking for something like you would find in Santa Fe for instance.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks to everyone here! I'm glad I asked! I knew water could be a big problem, but I wasn't aware of "water rights" though that only referred to bodies of water like lakes and rivers. Didn't realize it also meant water in the ground. Also knew that some areas, water is not drinkable. Lived in California and remember places that had arsenic water. Even here, I have a well for irrigation only. It is not potable.

Thanks, think I'll pass on this "bargain" and keep looking. Problem is I don't think there are many places like where I currently am, where you can find a house and land for under fifty K. Was hoping. It would be nice to live somewhere with mountains and also be able to see the starts at night. Most places I like, I can't afford.

Ken

Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Most places I like, I can't afford.
You are part of one of the oldest and largest organizations in the world.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
Thanks to everyone here! I'm glad I asked! I knew water could be a big problem, but I wasn't aware of "water rights" though that only referred to bodies of water like lakes and rivers. Didn't realize it also meant water in the ground. Also knew that some areas, water is not drinkable. Lived in California and remember places that had arsenic water. Even here, I have a well for irrigation only. It is not potable.

Thanks, think I'll pass on this "bargain" and keep looking. Problem is I don't think there are many places like where I currently am, where you can find a house and land for under fifty K. Was hoping. It would be nice to live somewhere with mountains and also be able to see the starts at night. Most places I like, I can't afford.

Ken
If you want super-cheap land in New Mexico, it exists. It's completely possible to get 1 acre plots of land for under $1000 (even including water rights) within a 90 minute drive of Albuquerque (both east of it and south of it).

The funny thing is it's cheaper to build on more expensive land that's closer in (lower cost for delivered cement, shorter drive to get supplies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico