Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM

405 posts, read 1,331,023 times

Advertisements

Wait. I do have a logical question that I have no answer to.... obviously there are Native American's in the state..and probably other tribes that look highly upon the rattlesnake as a cultural means. Does any one know..or have an opinion on how these individuals may view those not of their culture and traditions... striking out at these animals? ...animals they view as sacred. Anyone ever think about this?? Again..I have no clue..just a thought and I'd like to hear the answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,908,086 times
I spent a fair amount of time with the Picuris on their Pueblo, and I know a lot about my own Cherokee heritage. I used to spend a lot of time with the Mescalero when I was in HS.....one of my first real GF's was Mescalero. I don't know that that qualifies me as an expert or not. I've also got drunk with Lakota, with Kiowa, with Creek, with Osage, with Sac and Fox, with Chippewa and many others, But......

It is not so much the animal that is sacred, but life itself. One does not take life capriciously or without need. If an animal is needed for food or clothing, then the animal is taken, it's spirit is thanked, and there is reverence for it's death. If an animal is a threat to you or your people, then that animal is taken. If it is strong and fights well, you honor it. You may still kill it, but you honor it's spirit non-the-less. If the animal you kill is a warrior it was custom to eat it's heart.

I heard from an old Lakota dream interpreter many years ago that when two time winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor Captain Tom Custer was rubbed out that he had fought so well that Rain-in-his-face cut out his heart and ate it at the Little Big Horn. Most history stories tell of Rain-in-his-face mutilating Custers body and that he was only identified by tattoos on his arm. But the "mutilation" occured for a purpose. His heart was taken and eaten so the one who ate it would gain the strenth and prowess of the fallen....Tom Custer fought well. This would happen with a bear that fought well as well as an old and strong buffalo. The scalp woud be taken as trophys of a good fight......and the vanquished would be honored at fires and story telling times for years to come. The mutilation was to prevent the vanquished from lying in wait on the other side to exact revenge when the victorious warrior would, himself, cross over.

But for an animal to have special reverence just because it was that particular species did not happen. All life has value, we are all brothers, we do not kill for pleasure but for need or self defense.....and we honor those we kill.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I spent a fair amount of time with the Picuris on their Pueblo, and I know a lot about my own Cherokee heritage. I used to spend a lot of time with the Mescalero when I was in HS.....one of my first real GF's was Mescalero. I don't know that that qualifies me as an expert or not. I've also got drunk with Lakota, with Kiowa, with Creek, with Osage, with Sac and Fox, with Chippewa and many others, But......

It is not so much the animal that is sacred, but life itself. One does not take life capriciously or without need. If an animal is needed for food or clothing, then the animal is taken, it's spirit is thanked, and there is reverence for it's death. If an animal is a threat to you or your people, then that animal is taken. If it is strong and fights well, you honor it. You may still kill it, but you honor it's spirit non-the-less. If the animal you kill is a warrior it was custom to eat it's heart.

I heard from an old Lakota dream interpreter many years ago that when two time winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor Captain Tom Custer was rubbed out that he had fought so well that Rain-in-his-face cut out his heart and ate it at the Little Big Horn. Most history stories tell of Rain-in-his-face mutilating Custers body and that he was only identified by tattoos on his arm. But the "mutilation" occured for a purpose. His heart was taken and eaten so the one who ate it would gain the strenth and prowess of the fallen....Tom Custer fought well. This would happen with a bear that fought well as well as an old and strong buffalo. The scalp woud be taken as trophys of a good fight......and the vanquished would be honored at fires and story telling times for years to come. The mutilation was to prevent the vanquished from lying in wait on the other side to exact revenge when the victorious warrior would, himself, cross over.

But for an animal to have special reverence just because it was that particular species did not happen. All life has value, we are all brothers, we do not kill for pleasure but for need or self defense.....and we honor those we kill.

Wow! I am speechless. That has to be the most well stated thing I have read in a very long time. Thank you very much for sharing. I wish all people shared these thoughts, although that would make our world an awefully boring place if we all thought and felt the same.
You know...me being such an animal/nature nerd..I always wondered how to say "no" gracefully when someone asked if I am a vegitarian. The second paragraph above says exactly what I've tried to come up with for a very long time!
Thank you!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Go figure..I should have knocked on wood..my boss asked me today if I was a vegitarian!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,908,086 times
did you tell him that "vegetarian" was an old celtic word that means "bad hunter"?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
did you tell him that "vegetarian" was an old celtic word that means "bad hunter"?

Lol...no...but I will tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico