Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times

Advertisements

Mark S. is right. IMHO it took off when the 50 year anniversary crash was celebrated in July of 1997. The streets were packed with tourists, and the CNN's, MSNBC's, and the other "alphabet networks" were all there downtown along with lots of news media and local stations KRQE, KOB, and the others as well. El Paso tv stations and Denver tv people too!

They were running school buses every other hour at the crash site. People were picked up downtown and then at the Roswell Mall, a couple miles north of downtown. It brought a lot of people to SE New Mexico, a lot! I know the owner of the Budget Inn on the main drag , across the street from Denny's and Appleby's. He was full a week before and a week after the festival. He said lots of people took day trips to Ruidoso and that area, and others went to Carlsbad Caverns National Park on day trips as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
WAY OFF TOPIC, but... Pintada Kid.... do you get your haircut at Marez Barber Shop? I swear I've heard this story before.... many years ago.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:24 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,061 times
Default Never Been There

No Rybert ive never been to Marez Barber Shop and which story did you hear? el pintada kid

Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The way I figure it if there were alien civilizations with enough technology to have interstellat speceships and they actually got here we would likely be growing food for them. Ever see the movie "To Serve Man".

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Mark S. is right. IMHO it took off when the 50 year anniversary crash was celebrated in July of 1997. The streets were packed with tourists, and the CNN's, MSNBC's, and the other "alphabet networks" were all there downtown along with lots of news media and local stations KRQE, KOB, and the others as well. El Paso tv stations and Denver tv people too!

They were running school buses every other hour at the crash site. People were picked up downtown and then at the Roswell Mall, a couple miles north of downtown. It brought a lot of people to SE New Mexico, a lot! I know the owner of the Budget Inn on the main drag , across the street from Denny's and Appleby's. He was full a week before and a week after the festival. He said lots of people took day trips to Ruidoso and that area, and others went to Carlsbad Caverns National Park on day trips as well.
Aliens revisited...bearing a stern gleam in their eye, mid-western dialect, helmet hair and microphones!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The reason why I posted all that is I was there; have a friend who lives south of Roswell. The best part of the UFO bash was this band playing in town; Bud's tavern, I believe. Cool 50's rock band and the guys were wearing gray suits, had big eyes, and yep! playing to the festival theme! Had a great time! The best part was acting like a knucklehead tourist; bought a XXL UFO Tshirt, a bumper sticker, and a glow in the dark official Roswell 50 year UFO festival glow in the dark yoyo!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
I will be visitng the roswell area in may and would like to take a guided tour of the ufo crash sites....any suggestions??

Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Contact Pintadakid@webtv.net and he can probably help you out.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,432 times
Default Hi nygirl

I'm not sure if your nic here tells where you are actually from, but I sure hope if you come all the way from NY, you see other wonderful things in NM besides Roswell too! You could spend a life time seein' all of New Mexico

Here are few websites to help you plan your trip in that area. And one has info on the 2009 UFO Festival too

http://roswellufomuseum.com that's the one where the 2009 festival information is

www.uforoswell.com

www.roswell-usa.com/tourism.htm

I hope this helps along with the other's posts
Enjoy your trip

Tia Dalma

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,883 times
Default 2009 UFO Festival Web Site

2009 Roswell UFO Festival (http://www.ufofestivalroswell.com/ufo/index.aspx?pk=1 - broken link)

This site will have the latest information about the Festival. It appears they moved the UFO crash site into town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico