U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 AM

4,580 posts, read 9,653,104 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering about what kind of bugs or insects yall find in your part of the state,I live in Rio Rancho now but I used to live in Portales,In Portales we used to get these bugs that always hung around the door at night called bean bugs,they look like kidney beans(I think it is) but I have only seen them on 1 night in the 2 1/2 years I've been here,does anyone know anything about these or do yall get them around your house.Another thing I have never seen before anywhere until a few months back was a child of the earth, that thing was nasty.Do you ever find scorpions,centipedes or tarantulas around your homes,I have never seen any around,except for a baby centipede in Farmington,but what kind of critters do you find in your part of the state or do they even differ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 AM

575 posts, read 1,471,257 times
Default One scary fellow

bugs and insects in your part of the state-brave-red-shoe.jpg

Last August, I was chased by a very large and (understandably) very aggressive spider on my way to Tucumcari. It was the time of year when male tarantulas go wandering about in search of mates. The females stay close to home, so the males must go off looking for them, and if a road is in the way the tarantulas march right across.

There is something pretty impressive about a spider of such size that you can see it from a car going 65 miles per hour. We saw seven along the road during our 190 mile round trip, but that was only once we started really looking for them. We pulled over and backed up to get some photos of one fellow who was still out in the middle of the road when we first passed him. My sister stood guard and encouraged him to get to safety before any oncoming traffic reached the spot. He liked her; I know he did. At one point he reached up gently to touch her shoe.

On the other hand, I don't think he liked me or my blue shoes very much. I was maneuvering around, trying to set up the best shot, moving along with the big guy and attempting to keep him in focus. I glanced up over my shoulder to be sure that there weren't any cars coming in my lane, and that's when he snapped. When I looked back down at him he was coming fast, amazingly fast, right at me. My sister says that he reared up in a very threatening fashion, but by that time I was long gone. I apparently screamed, having lost all sense of decorum and delighting my sister who declares that she has never heard such a loud sound out of my librarian self.

You know, it occurs to me that your post has been waiting this long for an answer because perhaps the insects and like critters here aren't as rampant as people would have us believe. Since my tarantula adventure, I haven't really come across anything scary crawling around. Of course, now that winter's over, that might change....

~clairz

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,516,135 times
Here's a 'critter' I found in my driveway last October (night before Halloween)....

These are little bit more of a problem than the spiders!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM

19,646 posts, read 51,214,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Attachment 14686

Last August, I was chased by a very large and (understandably) very aggressive spider on my way to Tucumcari
Oh for Pete's sake, tarantulas DO NOT CHASE PEOPLE. Theyre practically blind, despite having 8 eyes. The poor thing was probably trying to get away from you as fast as it could and happened to be going in the same direction you were, simple as that.

BTW, thats a male Aphonopelma iodius, a very gentle and docile tarantula species.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Here's a 'critter' I found in my driveway last October (night before Halloween)....

These are little bit more of a problem than the spiders!
Awesome Crotalus atrox (western diamondback rattlesnake)! Very common in NM, watch where you tread and leave them alone, theyre actually very good to have around.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:09 PM

728 posts, read 1,294,882 times
I enjoy your "take" and appreciation of these marvelous desert denizens Steve-o. If only more people could cultivate your obvious admiration for the natural world!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 AM

2,575 posts, read 5,227,162 times
The bugs are so slow here in ABQ right now that my cat just looks at them, sighs, and walks off. He won't even chase 'em. Do the bugs speed up when the weather warms up?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 AM

33,804 posts, read 29,233,166 times
IIRC rattlesnakes eat rodents. Sounds good to me. that spider looked big enough to harness. Very impressive.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I enjoy your "take" and appreciation of these marvelous desert denizens Steve-o. If only more people could cultivate your obvious admiration for the natural world!
Thanks!

A little education goes a long way. Would you believe that a few years back I was a massive arachnophobe/ophidiophobe? Believe it!

But seriously, tarantulas are completely harmless. If you can actually get one to bite you, it hurts like a bee sting. No tarantulas have ever killed anyone, nor have the potential to. Theyve simply got a bad reputation becuase theyre just monstrous spiders, and hairy ones at that. There are definitely some very defensive species on this green earth of ours, but the species in the states are very gentle and are nothing to be afraid of. The only thing to worry about are the urticating hairs that they can flick off their abdomens. If those hairs get stuck in your sinuses or eyes, its very uncomfortable.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,516,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thanks!

A little education goes a long way. Would you believe that a few years back I was a massive arachnophobe/ophidiophobe? Believe it!

But seriously, tarantulas are completely harmless. If you can actually get one to bite you, it hurts like a bee sting. No tarantulas have ever killed anyone, nor have the potential to. Theyve simply got a bad reputation becuase theyre just monstrous spiders, and hairy ones at that. There are definitely some very defensive species on this green earth of ours, but the species in the states are very gentle and are nothing to be afraid of. The only thing to worry about are the urticating hairs that they can flick off their abdomens. If those hairs get stuck in your sinuses or eyes, its very uncomfortable.
The spider you really want to look out for is the Brown Recluse spider. Although they are in New Mexico, I think their most common residence is Missouri and Arkansas. Their bite has the ability corrode flesh. An example of a brown recluse: (Warning, graphic, do not open if squeamish)
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/p...s_1_020724.jpg

Last edited by mike0421; 02-15-2008 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Complaint by poster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico