Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 52,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
it's not the kind of town that has that obnoxious feeling of angst and anger and fighting. People there are tired from work and they just are interested in getting a good meal and doing their grocery shopping and working on their houses. There's good people there, and by and large, unless you go seeking trouble, they don't have evil intent.
I like how you worded your post. I'm always working on my house so I should fit right in Like I said, I am planning on taking a trip this year down there and get a more close up look and get a feel for Alamogordo.

You stated you were thinking of possibly moving to Arizona, why there? Since you speak so well of Alamogordo, why not go back there? Have you been to places in Arizona that entice you the same or more than Alamogordo?

I lived in Tucson, Arizona for 6 years. The weather is great but really hot during the summer. If you want nice weather you need to stay in southern Arizona. Plus, Arizona cost of living is I think is higher. I'd never go back to Tucson. Too much crime, drugs, gangs, and overpriced housing. I don't like the rattlesnakes either (i've had a few encounters with those).

If I over worry about living in AG its because well, fear of the unknown. I would imagine though that, if I moved from Tucson (a city of 500,000 people) to a small town of about 1300 people in North Dakota never having even visited the place and I have become successful here then I probably have a pretty good shot of achieving the same in AG.

One thing I will definitely have if/when I make the move will be a house paid off. I can't sleep peacefully at night knowing I have to make a mortgage payment. That is why I was asking about the cheaper homes. I would only buy a fix up to remodel and renovate it. Its what I have always done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 05:52 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
I would only buy a fix up to remodel and renovate it. Its what I have always done.

You'll find them there. As to southern Arizona, I just love the red-brown rock of Arizona, the heat, the cactus, et all. I don't know if we'll find something in our price range, though, in Arizona. But we can in Alamogordo, and I have a feeling we'll be going there to live. We'll see. Keep us up-to-date with what you're gonna do and so will we.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:45 PM

Will do. Is there anything special to do while I am there scoping it out? I mean, just something family friendly to do during the day. And I mean in Alamogordo, not any other city I have to drive to.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Well, what comes to mind first is the New Mexico Space Center that comes with an Imax Theater. It's in a beautiful spot on the east end of town, right off of Scenic Drive, up the side of the mountain literally. Nice view of Alamo below you from up there. I went there when I was first visiting town on my job interview at Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center. Had a fast food meal in my car and just took in the beautiful view of the Valley below me. Just follow the signs that point you towards the hospital and look up for a blocky building up the hill with big glass windows that have that reflective material built into them. Nice, modern building. The Imax building is just below that building and has a big parking lot with it. We went there and saw a movie on tornado chasers that was pretty interesting. You could head west from Alamogordo 20 miles on Highway 70 and go to the White Sands National Monument, too. Worth a looksee - if you don't feel like going out to the sand dunes themselves you could just browse through the Visitor Center to the park for no charge and look around.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks for that info. I'll make sure and check those out. I read that AG has 31,000 people but that 21,000 live on base? Did I read that right? That would mean only 10,000 are actually in AG?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy329 View Post
Thanks for that info. I'll make sure and check those out. I read that AG has 31,000 people but that 21,000 live on base? Did I read that right? That would mean only 10,000 are actually in AG?
The city of Alamogordo population is 31,000 plus/minus. There is a fairly large additional population just outside the city limits, in the county. A wild guess on my part would put the county population within five miles of the city limit at ~5,000.

I don't know where the figure of 21,000 came from for Holloman AFB, but the most recent population data for people actually living on base that I could find states:

Quote:
POPULATION
As of 2014, Holloman Air Force Base (zip 88330)'s population is Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Since 2000, it has had a population growth of 63.40 percent.
Holloman, being a military installation, by nature is going to have a fluctuating population. There is housing within the base boundaries, where those population figures likely come from.

As for "things to do" in and around Alamogordo that the family might like: there is a free zoo, a great miniature train museum with working models, and always popular with kids is cavorting down the dunes at White Sands. The Flickinger Theater has frequent family oriented performances (not movies). There is a large relatively new theater complex with multiple screens showing the latest fare. There are plenty of playgrounds scattered about town. Other than that, all the usual outdoor sports (golf, tennis, bicycling, walking/running/hiking, soccer, etc. can be enjoyed year-around.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I don't know where the figure of 21,000 came from for Holloman AFB,

"Supported population: Holloman AFB supports about 21,000 Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, retirees, DoD civilians and their family members."

(Sorry, I thought I posted the URL's in my original post.)

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-07-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

"Supported population: Holloman AFB supports about 21,000 Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, retirees, DoD civilians and their family members."

(Sorry, I thought I posted the URL's in my original post.)
Appears to me there is some confusion about what the statement "Holloman AFB supports" means. When it comes down to stating the actual population of the AFB, here is the reference to the City Data site:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Holloman-AFB-New-Mexico.html

And yet another source - this one by the state of New Mexico:

http://www.newmexico-demographics.com/holloman-afb-demographics

On another recent web site entry I read that there are 822 residential units on the base. I assume there are also additional barracks for singles and temporary quarters for personnel not assigned to the base long term.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Appears to me there is some confusion about what the statement "Holloman AFB supports" means.
I don't see any confusion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

If I go into the Base Exchange Snack Bar and get a burrito and ice cream cone, then I would consider I was supported...

Quote:
When it comes down to stating the actual population of the AFB
I will guess the population to be 3,421 and leave it at that. It is not an issue I will delve into.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-07-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 04:06 PM

Thanks for that info. So basically the population in AG in 31,000 +or- and out of that 3,500 +or- are at the actual base.

So, we have decided to take a trip to AG in May or June and I know that it has already been stated there are no "ghettos" in AG but, I was wondering if there are any areas I should avoid for whatever reason (more of this or more of that). I especially ask because we are going to be looking at some houses as well. We are not going to buy anything just yet but just to get into the mindset I suppose and get a feel for potential future "area neighbors".

When I say more of this or more of that I mean:

1) drugs
2) gangs
3) graffiti
4) low-riding bass heads
5) baggy-trousered "mobs"

I'm sure I will/might see some of this or that when we go but, I ask because we are not going to be in the same areas each and every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico