Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM

99 posts, read 265,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Welcome. I have a son in Providence. Well, actually he's moved to Pawtucket. Did you bring seafood for everyone here? We'll all be over this evening for dinner.
Dear sjbasin, nope, did'nt bring any, I'm not much of a seafood person, not a very good Portuguese woman my grandfather would have said, my mom loves it and my husband too. So I guess you are familiar with RI then, about the only thing I will miss, besides my granddaughters, that is- is, the Fall River Chow Mein and Portuguese sausage, Chorizo. The Mexican kind is really different. But I can't be happier about the abundance of Mexican cuisine here, so that makes up for it!J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Hey Buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
DesertPeace: Congratulations! I hope to follow you in moving to NM one of these days. Where are you in NM?
Thanks for the congrats, and look forward to meeting you here, it's great. The decision may have seemed crazy to some, but oh well! Follow your instinct, I say, it was'nt a mistake.We are really happy. We got a place to live after one week and my husband got a job around the same time, although he did'nt start till the next week.We are in Las Cruces, good weather, nice people, clean streets, affordable living, plenty of stores and stuff, like a small city without the city crap! I think you'd like it too.Take care and let me know when you are coming.Joanne

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Default Greetings fellow plant lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
catman has asked my question: Where are you in NM, DesertPeace?

Congratulations! Glad you got there safely! I hope you are enjoying getting to know your new state.
Thank you for your good wishes and we love it here, it feels like another world, a great place.We are in Las Cruces.Take care Towanda.Joanne

Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Welcome, bienvenidos, DesertPeace, may your handle becomes your reality...
Thank you and I can tell you that I have really been at peace here, life here is so different than the land of cold weather and hearts in RI, don't get me wrong not all people are cold there, there are some really good people, but I have never seen as many friendly people as here and I have lived in many places and visited many others.All our family are dying to come a visit, my Mom is coming for 3 weeks soon and my hubbys Mom after that. Again thank you and I am happy to be here.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Welcome to NM, Desertpeace! Where in NM did you end up?
Hey Yukon, Whats up? Thanks and we are in Las Cruces and loving it!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Default Sister Transplanted New Englander

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Welcome, Desert Peace, to warm and friendly New Mexico! We are New Englanders too and just made our move from New Hampshire last June. We ended up in Clovis, which surprised us some (job opportunity for my husband). Guess what? We are getting fonder of Clovis all the time, especially as we meet more people.

Hope your experience goes well, too. You can't beat the nice weather and sunshine, especially when you hear about those poor people back East, shoveling and shoveling and shoveling...

~clairz
Dear Clairz, Nice to meet you! We too have had nothing but good experiences, only been her since Jan 14th, we are in Las Cruces, and it is warm and friendly here too. And yea, I feel for them there, our family is suffering, one day it's warm the next freezing and they say there is more snow to come. They all have had colds from the constant changing. The first big storm hit a day or so after we left, we left on the 10th and stopped at my mom's in NC to leave our cockatiel till we got a place and we'll be going at the beginning of March to go and pick her up and bring my mom here to visit for 3 weeks. To ship the bird and pay for her ticket cost way more than driving there and sending her home on a buss, she wont get on a plane! It seems that to take a train from NC to here she would have to take a bus from NC to Chicago and then a train from there to here, crazy huh? I'm rambeling, sorry. Thanks for the warm welcome.J

Old 02-10-2008, 04:23 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,952,589 times
Welcome DesertPeace. I moved from NYC (originally Mass, Portuguese myself) and I love it here. Never look back.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhedonia View Post
We are from Boston, and have the lovely choice of living anywhere we wish west of the Mississippi, near-ish an airport. After a false start elsewhere, and looking at tons of places, we've come to New Mexico.

Catman, simply: try to come. I could live on the Oregon Coast, or Bozeman, MT, Cali ... this is the place. I chose NM in part because there are NOT as many separations between people of different ethnicities and income levels. I don't want, nor need, a gated community (though I could afford one).

What I love is:
- affordability
- lack of pretense
- tremendous natural beauty
- three cultures with hundreds of years of history (hispanic, indigenous, anglo)
- climate

I could have stayed in Boston, too, with a fair income level there. But after some recent trips to NYC and Boston, I realized after a few hours I couldn't wait to get back "home" to New Mexico.

I haven't stopped rooting for the Red Sox, but it sure didn't take me long to get my driver's license with the roadrunner.
Dear Danhedonia, Thanks and hola to a fellow ex NEander. Yea we love it for all the reasons you do too. My bones especially love it! I am of Portuguese descent and my husband is of Bolivian descent, my kids and grandkids are mixed in various ways, they before my current marriage, when I was still dumb! I love them immensly so they were worth the dumbness! I don't think I will ever miss the north-east and it's BS, I don't even want to visit, they can come here. We have family everywhere, some in RI, Mass, NC, Fla, Italy, Australia, CA, Bolivia, Mich, oh so many places! This is the first time we have been here, we came on instinct and lots of research and we couldn't have made a better choice. We'll get our liscenes changed hopefully next week, my hubby has a weekday off.Take care,Joanen

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM

Default Another NE relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Welcome DesertPeace. I moved from NYC (originally Mass, Portuguese myself) and I love it here. Never look back.
Thanks ABQSunseeker, so you know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you miss the chow mein and portagee suasage? I found out you can order it online. Take care, Joanne

Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,952,589 times
Yes Joanne (DesertPeace), I sure do miss the sausage as well as Portuguese bakeries. But I've developed a yen for chorizo and green chile cheese bread. Lots to like here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico