U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which plate is best?
The New Sunset-Balloon Plate 16 27.12%
The Old Yellow Zia Plate 40 67.80%
Who cares, whatever the MVD Gives me!!!!! 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:40 PM

1,438 posts, read 2,749,196 times
Default New Mexico License Plates

Alright, it was brought up in a different thread, what is the general consensus regarding the license plate. Do you like the old classic Yellow / Turquoise Zia or the designer Balloon and Sunset?

New:

Old:

Please leave comments!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM

696 posts, read 1,640,163 times
I like the balloon plate, however I don't think it properly reflects the entire state. Hot air Balloons are an Albuquerque thing. I would favor a new different design that reflects the entire state.

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM

5,457 posts, read 12,902,824 times
I'll quote myself from the other thread where the topic came up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
As for the old school yellow license plate, it can look good, depending on the color of the car. Once I saw a yellow Mustang driving around here [Phoenix] with the old yellow NM license plate; it blended right in and looked pretty good. I'm not really that big on the balloon plates, personally. I drive an older car, so if I moved to NM I would probably get the old school plate, more "rustic" looking, whereas if I had a brand new car I'd probably want the newer "designer" version with the balloon festival.

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM

266 posts, read 808,818 times
Good thread, abqsunport

Unread 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,346,689 times
You guys (in a non-gender-specific way) are the best!

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM

3,062 posts, read 5,696,882 times
I have LOVED the old Zia plates for years ... and every time I saw one in Kansas I would start feeling homesick for NM.

Soon I can have one of my own!!!!

I can, can't I? Do we have a choice?

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 3,745,420 times
A bit of added detail about the plates:

*Both are manufactured in Nova Scotia.

The old yellow one: designed in New Mexico by a New Mexican.
The balloon one: not.

About 2 in 3 new ones are balloon plates, although it's a rare occasion to see a vanity plate with the balloon design.

What I find most objectionable is the large number of custom plates. POW/Purple Heart/Veteran? Ok, that's not that big a deal. Ham Radio, UNM, NMSU, ok, most of those plates look decent. Donate your Organs, Spay & Neuter.. getting pretty lame. But "protect the wildlife" plates, which are almost invariably found on land barges that get under 20mpg, really bother me. And this latest "support our troops" somehow found a color scheme that was even less legible than the balloon plate. Perhaps these people got these plates with the intention of beating the red light cameras...

Unread 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,471,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I have LOVED the old Zia plates for years ... and every time I saw one in Kansas I would start feeling homesick for NM.

Soon I can have one of my own!!!!

I can, can't I? Do we have a choice?
Yes, you do. However, keep in mind some [all?] of the privately-run MVD Expresses only have the new, balloon plates.

Seeing a NM plate in other states is really not that common, IMO. Always a bonding experience though!

Unread 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM

3,059 posts, read 7,492,141 times
I was always really intrigued by the license plate thing in NM, so great thread abqsunport!

I voted for the yellow Zia ones, as I would go for them first and foremost. HOWEVER...

My wife and I always felt it depended upon the car and its color. For some cars, the new balloon plate seems to look better. For others, the yellow looks best.

I know we have two cars, and each one supports a different one of these two. My old car - red - has the yellow - and her newer (yet surely not new) car - maroonish - has the balloon. It seems to "look" best that way. (And yes, even in WI, we are fighting the "man" and continue to have our unexpired NM plates on our car! ).

I noticed in ABQ that almost always, white cars would do the yellow, old-school plate, and that to me looked best on white cars. Other cars would do the balloons.

I like the split. In many states, you only have one "core" plate and some niche ones...I like in ABQ you can do one or the other, or, try to get the UNM or NMSU plates.

In the end, though, yellow is the way to go.

Unread 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

3,062 posts, read 5,696,882 times
Okay, here goes Towanda, complaining to the new moderator.

I was just wondering if this thread might not get more votes if were moved to the New Mexico forum and not confined on the ABQ forum since it may attract more members (and more votes) who do not visit the ABQ forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico