Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 01:52 PM

179 posts, read 271,681 times

Advertisements

That's quite a bit of fast, interesting feedback. I greatly appreciate it, and I will comb through it soon.

The listed itinerary was simply a first rough skeleton of every last thing on my dad's wish list. I definitely intend to look more carefully at each portion to see how much time we would want in each place and, in all probability, chop some stuff out.

I'll try to analyze the situation and report back with more questions shortly.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 PM

Quick report since my 11 days in NM are long gone:

Greatly enjoyed ABQ, including the sunset while driving in from the east, Cecilia's Cafe, Golden Crown Panaderia, the tramway, murals, the Indian taco at the Pueblo Museum, the flamenco festival, and ACOMA (nearby).

Santa Fe did not win me over with any of its hyped charm/beauty/"little streets" (I didn't find them that tiny or cutesy or atmospheric), but I did get to spend many hours inside of its museums.

Taos was my dad's idea and probably not the best in the summer, but the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge was worth our stop. Taos Cow ice cream in Arroyo Seco didn't really taste like ice cream to me.

Las Vegas's Plaza Hotel was quite nice to look at, though I didn't stay there.

Roswell's contemporary art museum wowed me.

Carlsbad's bat flight was okay until people disregarded park ranger instructions, and the caverns the next day were quite pretty.

Cloudcroft was a nice, small, forest-y stopover for one night.

White Sands was HOT, and the sled I bought with wax didn't work so well, but it was fun regardless.

Mesilla's main plaza and shops were very enticing.

T or C: really only experienced hot springs on the river since I got in late.

Scenic byway to Silver City- really pretty- 15 mph switchbacks up mountains and all kinds of curves and turns.

Silver City had the best food in the whole state, in my opinion. Cute town, more like a main st. USA place than NM-specific, but tons of murals, friendly people, really worth it.

Gallup- tasty food, plenty of public art, free Native American dancing at the courthouse, a vibe that interested me.

ABQ again: farmer's market at the rail yard has a great building but small selection, a weak atmosphere compared to some farmer's markets of my trip. Kimo Theater- decent visit inside to see what it's like (and free). Balloon Museum had a fair amount- like I closed it down. ABQ always had more to do, even when I thought I'd hit most of what I'd read about and wanted to experience.

Santa Fe again: some bad rain and a rough start to Meow Wolf, but once I kept walking and losing track of "the story", it got better.

Tent Rocks: a lot cooler for me than the Grand Canyon the next day. Small trail, so you're passing people and greeting them all the time.

Overall, a nice, relaxed vibe, WAY less traffic than my native Chicagoland, plenty of great food, and lots that had to be cut out. I'll consider myself fortunate if I get to return once or twice or many more times.

Cheers to all of you. Hope you enjoy the state.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,729,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
Quick report since my 11 days in NM are long gone:

Cheers to all of you. Hope you enjoy the state.
Interesting comments! Interesting comment for the Grand Canyon, I have been there four times over the years, and been to both sides, I use to describe it as really too big to see at one time.

Wow! you saw a lot!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 AM

Yes, I did try to see a lot, though I didn't feel too rushed since even driving on the highway is a different experience than driving on a highway in Illinois ;-).

I certainly didn't do all there is to do at the Grand Canyon, but the experiences I did have on the South Rim weren't awe-inspiring.

Thanks, New Mexico, for sharing your state with me =).

Old 08-08-2016, 07:28 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,156,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
I certainly didn't do all there is to do at the Grand Canyon, but the experiences I did have on the South Rim weren't awe-inspiring.
I've been to the Grand Canyon several times. Once would have been enough if it weren't for being with someone who had never seen it. I can understand how one's expectations might not be met if visiting on a day of either very hot or cold weather. Plus having to deal with all of the commercialization and regimentation at the south rim, to say nothing of being there on a holiday weekend or when it is overcrowded otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico