Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2006, 08:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

I am not a proponent on nuclear energy. He has always been pro nuke and I think there are better alternatives to nuclear.

CJ, I'm not either.

The Powers that Be consider both New Mexico and West Texas as dumping grounds for spent nuclear waste. I say keep your waste to yourself!!! I really, really resent what some of them on the east coast and in WDC are trying to do.

I haven't really kept up with NM politics--but now that relocation is under serious consideration, I pay more attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 10:33 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,979 times
Quote:
The Powers that Be consider both New Mexico and West Texas as dumping grounds for spent nuclear waste. I say keep your waste to yourself!!! I really, really resent what some of them on the east coast and in WDC are trying to do.
From Cathy4017
Cathy, I feel the same way. I hate that for some reason they dump most of the nuclear waste in NM, West Texas or Nevada. For some reason they think a desert is a reason to dump waste. I agree too, nuclear isn't the answer, just too many things to go wrong and the danger associated with it.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:08 PM

75 posts, read 410,111 times
A few years ago I would have agreed with you on nuclear power. Today I feel different - I am for ANYTHING and everything that will give America energy independence. My belief now is that the middle east and parts of South America are more dangerous to us then nuc power plants. Do away with NASA even, they have a what?? 55 billion a year budget (not really sure where I heard that number, so it may not be good) and any other stupid agency in the US soaking up $$$$'s. Just get us independent of the rest of the world. I have come to believe Pres. James Monroe was right all those years ago.
Coal gassification, coal plants, wind solar all of it - make it work, we have the brain power here, so lets make the investment in the USA, and that could include making a safe nuc program.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:30 PM

Lightbulb Off track on this thread

We've kind of gotten off track on the crime thread. Does someelse want to start a thread on the nuclear issue???

Old 11-23-2006, 11:05 PM

If America really wanted to become self-reliant, we could. It costs more for other alternatives, but later we would reap the benefits. I just don't think they are really serious about it. I just don't see it. I see tid bits, but not anything going full force. Having oil shipped right to us is too easy, so they take the easy route. I am happy to see NM is trying with wind farms and solar. At least NM is doing something. It is better than nothing!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
I agree too, nuclear isn't the answer, just too many things to go wrong and the danger associated with it.

Yes. What scares me the most is the potential contamination of ground water, our most precious resource.

People in other parts of the country where there is ample rain take water for granted. We cannot do so out here in the desert/semi-arid regions. Ground water/windmills settled the west.

We have energy solutions, but many are not cost-effective right now.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Question??

... what is cost effective. A war in the middle east between between the jewish state and the arab world?? Moderator cut: off topic We need to distance ourselves from the dependency and become self sufficient before the war. Because like it or not, the reality is (right now anyway) this planets advanced societies run on energy. And America moves (products, jobs, etc) on energy.
I hate the idea of NM as a dumping ground, but how does France and Japan survive in their nuclear energy economy countries. I think there is probably ways to make nuc power plants safe - but we would have to make and investment in safe and nuclear recycle technologies.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM

71 posts, read 319,470 times
Moderator cut: off topic
Back to the topic of nuclear in NM - it does suck that the state has become a dumping ground for nuclear waste. I think NM politicians actually bid to have the waste shipped and stored in NM.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Politicians and waste and jobs etc.

I don't know if you are missing the connection but, we get the nuc dumps because we have the nuc labs, at least the really big labs.
The politicians can't and won't give up the lab jobs - they pay great from what I have heard, and if we didn't have the labs "assisting" the NM economy, we would be fighting Mississippi for bottom lowest per capita income. And that doesn't include the so called trickle down jobs that have grown up to support the labs. So when you vote for popular politicians like Richardson (remember, the former Dept. of Energy Secty. who could have stopped dumping at any time) and Bingerman (a Senate energy committee member, and strong nuc lab job supporter) and lets not forget gud ole' Pete, you have voted for people who support turning our state into a national dump site. The waste will continue to flow here because the pols that be won't give up the money fix that comes along with the waste (including waste management jobs). Besides, you don't see any of them living within 200 miles of the dump sites they voted for. Why do you tkink that is? Well, maybe those sites are dangerous, you think?
The more I read comments on this board from folks who don't seem to see a connection between cause (politicians we vote for) and effect (dump sites in NM) the more I understand that ancient saying "we get the kind of government we deserve".

Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 PM

Yes it seems in New Mexico, the more things change, the more they stay the same. It makes one never want to vote in NM. Republicans or Democrats, you get the same old thing. New Mexicans need to begin protesting and doing marches against being a nuke dumping ground. Maybe it will get back to the powers that be in NM that New Mexicans don't want any more of this crud. They always tell us that it has to be put somewhere, well, why NM? Why not put it right in Washington DC? If it is "safe" like they say, well, why not put it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico