Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times

Advertisements

Another seriously black mark:

N.M. has nation’s worst high school graduation rate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
I worked at Rio Grande High back in 1994-95. When we had an assembly in the gym in September it was so full kids some had to sit on the floor. By the end of the year when we had an assembly in the gym the bleachers were half full.
PS: I now work in CT and I believe we have more students from Mexico where I work now than I did at Rio Grande High. When you include other Latino countries I'll say definitely.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
As Winthrop Quigley wrote in his column this morning, this is just another in a long string of state comparisons where NM is last or near last in every one. There are many reasons for that but, unfortunately, I have yet to hear someone with the appropriate political, corporate or moral authority proposing any solutions that might move us off the bottom.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:00 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,444 times
Here's the breakdown by race and special group.

Overall: 50
Native American: 37 of 48
Asian/Pacific Islander: 40
Black: 47
Hispanic: 44
White, not hispanic: 49
Disabled: 37
Limited English: 28
Economically Disadvantaged: 49

We need to build incentives into the system for students, parents and teachers.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Whatever we do, let's make sure to keep class starting at 7:45 or earlier so the kids go to school sleep-deprived and half-asleep.

Obviously, our graduation rates and school start times have nothing to do with each other.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 PM

Something else that's a reflection of high school education shortcomings - college dropout rates for 1st semester students. Regardless of where one goes to college, many who graduated high school, and some with honors, can't make it through their first college semester. Nationwide, the first semester dropout rate is about 30%, and New Mexico is below that mark.

Just 14% of New Mexico’s college students graduate on time

Old 05-12-2016, 08:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
If I remember correctly the difficulty of NM's curriculum is about average. What about the states whose curriculum isn't near as challenging ( Texas ugh)?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
If I remember correctly the difficulty of NM's curriculum is about average.
I quit my teaching job at ENMU after one year because the dean insisted on maintaining the level of education for freshman as if they were still in high school. It was offensive to me to have to lower my teaching standard to facilitate the lowest achievers. Administration worried more about losing state and federal funding if too much was expected of students, resulting in lowered enrollment numbers, than worrying about the fact that so many were unprepared for "average" college level course work.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I quit my teaching job at ENMU after one year because the dean insisted on maintaining the level of education for freshman as if they were still in high school. It was offensive to me to have to lower my teaching standard to facilitate the lowest achievers. Administration worried more about losing state and federal funding if too much was expected of students, resulting in lowered enrollment numbers, than worrying about the fact that so many were unprepared for "average" college level course work.
your reason for quitting teaching is the exact reason my granddaughter here in AR decided not to go into teaching after graduating with her bach degree. She not only didn't want to be told she had to lower her standards, she didn't want to be told she had to make every child feel special even it meant passing them up to the next grade when they were not emotionally or academically ready.

One small defense of the graduation rate in NM. and it makes some sense is this: many of the kids are military kids thus a freshman class can have say 500 students and 100 of them will move out of the district before they graduate. It isn't the total answer but it is part or appears to be. Still the wonderful state of NM has some real serious social issues.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One small defense of the graduation rate in NM. and it makes some sense is this: many of the kids are military kids thus a freshman class can have say 500 students and 100 of them will move out of the district before they graduate.
That is absolutely ludicrous and false. Why don't you produce some verifiable proof of your allegations.

Do you also believe we only have "military kids" in New Mexico? We have "military kids" in all states, and many foreign countries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico