Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 03:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,512,917 times

Advertisements

I've had to use them both for Bent NM and then as some posters suggested - I wrote to them about the water tables in Torrance County. No reply on the latter and very little help on the Bent issues.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I've consulted with the University of California and Texas A&M in the past. Both have wealth of knowledge and always answer emails. They may even come to your place and look over the issues personally.

On a scale of 1-10 I might rate the University of California 9.5 A&M 9 and NMSU 1.5-- the difference is that glaring. OF course Texas and California are larger states but NMSU does not have that large of a population to service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:08 PM

5,680 posts, read 4,221,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I've had to use them both for Bent NM and then as some posters suggested - I wrote to them about the water tables in Torrance County. No reply on the latter and very little help on the Bent issues.

Maybe I'm spoiled because I've consulted with the University of California and Texas A&M in the past. Both have wealth of knowledge and always answer emails. They may even come to your place and look over the issues personally.

On a scale of 1-10 I might rate the University of California 9.5 A&M 9 and NMSU 1.5-- the difference is that glaring. OF course Texas and California are larger states but NMSU does not have that large of a population to service.

Have you tried the telephone? I watch NMSU job postings and extension jobs seem to take a long time to fill. Maybe they are overextended and underpaid.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,133,252 times
I'm not sure that NMSU is the best place to inquire about watershed issues. You might have better luck at other state agencies. Even the State Engineer's office, where water rights are adjudicated. Here is another possible source:

http://www.nmda.nmsu.edu/uncategorized/12535/

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,894,218 times
Actually UNMS has an extensive extension program, with each county having its own resources and contacts. Talk by phone...

Cooperative Extension Service

Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Have you tried the telephone? I watch NMSU job postings and extension jobs seem to take a long time to fill. Maybe they are overextended and underpaid.
They sure are, and that condition is about to worsen. This is yet another article that should serve as an attention getter that this state (and I would argue, the country) is not nearly in as good shape economically as the media would lead you to believe:

NMSU budget cuts target academic, athletic program

Old 07-29-2016, 05:15 AM

502 posts, read 1,377,212 times
As previously stated, try a phone call.
I've had great success with our extension office. I use the same office as you would be using for questions in Bent.
But there are a few problems with this service.
There is a very high turnover rate of agents.
They require a degree for the position and then pay a very low salary.
And then work the good ones into the ground. 7 day a week and 12-14 hour days is not uncommon for those folks.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:03 AM

292 posts, read 722,933 times
If your looking for Watershed information in NM there are a few places you can look. Firstly, look at the people who compile this info, namely the New Mexico Office of the State Engineer. They have armies of people not only looking at well data, but compiling it as well. If I can recall they are divided between districts geographically with the main offices in Santa Fe. They have a handy list of contacts, I would recommend contacting the Hydrology Bureau first.

New Mexico Office of the State Engineer / Intersate Stream Commission

Old 09-09-2016, 02:13 PM

Taking everyone's advice I called Water and Ag Extension for Torrance County this morning.

They will get back to me ..eventually. Right?

All these farms are for sale in Estancia however the farmers believe the water table is low and decreasing. I just want verification.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 PM

NO they don't return calls either. Why should we be taxed for this?

Old 09-13-2016, 01:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,894,218 times
OP, you seem to be having difficulties that others don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico