Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 PM

25 posts, read 79,900 times

Advertisements

I have been hibernating in the midwest for almost 6 years now and I am ready to make my final migration back to the Southwest... I am so really stoked right now that I really can't wait until the countdown hits 0!!! From the beautiful blue skys to the deserted vast spaces I remember, I will be heading back down by the end of March pending on our house closing... I feel a renewed sense of what it will be like to taste green or red, and wonder how long it will take for me to adjust back to the land of enchantment... I will dust off my hiking boots and get them ready for their job, to take me to the brink of indescribable wonders from the Pecos to the Jemez... Meanwhile, in town, I will stroll down Central in search of the unexpected and drop in for some chile stew and a few tortillas at the Frontier... Later in the summer, I will head out of town to enjoy what the Pecos has to offer and try to get myself back up Trailrider wall or head over to Lake Katherine to enjoy the beautiful scenery... I might even head back to the the Jemez area and hang out at the Jemez winery (very underestimated indeed) and taste a few wines before heading out to Los Ojos to taste the quite tasty Los Ojos burger!!! Later that night I will pitch my tent, enjoying the peaceful quite serenity of a state forest while looking out across a canyon, enjoying a serene scene of lights coming to life, the lights of Albuquerque..... Later in the year I will wake up at the break of dawn, not long after the leaves just suddenly fall of the trees one morning, to head out the the balloon park to see the Albuquerque balloon fiesta.... I will keep myself warm, through jackets and green chile stew that morning as I participate and help a crew get their balloon up in the sky... Later, I might take a nap or head to the foothills to hike up the La Luz trail or head over to the other side of the mountain for a little inspiration or try my endurance at mountain biking the skiiing area.... When family comes, I might take them to Santa Fe through Madrid and visit a gallery or two (Diane Moon is one of my favorites in Santa Fe). As winter sets in for 2008, I will reflect on all that I've done and not regret one ounce of effort it took for me and my family to get here and get established for good.... Not one bit... Point is, is that NM is a wonderful place to be to explore and live and don't ever let anyone tell you if isn't!!!! I love this wonderful state!!! Hope to be there soon.... Please add your own ideas/views of this wonderful state!! This could be a thread to show alll naysayers that they truly are missing something!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,330,423 times
I'm very excited for you. We're waiting to get our house sold too so we can get there full time.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I'm very excited for you. We're waiting to get our house sold too so we can get there full time.
and our house goes on the market in about 10 days so we can get out of NM. Everyone has his/her own ideas.

Nita

Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
I wish you much luck, I had to leave Albuq. 12 years ago to help care for my parents and I really miss the land of enchantment! Have some green chili for me!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,022,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yemtig View Post
I love this wonderful state!!! Hope to be there soon.... Please add your own ideas/views of this wonderful state!! This could be a thread to show alll naysayers that they truly are missing something!!!
My list is very long but not unlike everyone else's... I am looking forward to:

1. The mountains
2. The sunsets
3. The weather
3a. The brilliant blue New Mexico sky
4. The food
4b. Green chile!!!
4c. La Choza, Harry's Roadhouse, and Maria's in Santa Fe ... and Blake's Lotaburger everywhere.
5. The interesting blend of cultures
6. Outdoor activities year round
7. Lots of places to visit and explore: Abiquiu, Madrid & Cerrillos, the Jemez and Sandias, The Enchanted Circle (Taos, Eagle Nest, Red River, Angel Fire, etc.), Albuquerque. OH MY ... where to go first?
8. The ambience and atmosphere that really make it a land of enchantment
8a. Southwestern decor
9. The knowledge that it already feels like home ... and I am not even there yet!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,168,745 times
One of my favorite things about NM (which I've mentioned before) are the deep black NM nights (away from cities, of course). The Milky Way is bright from horizon to horizon, and the stars are brilliant. I'm an amateur astronomer , so I really appreciate the dark sky background!

I also like all the great roads which are so much fun on a motorcycle, especially in the mountains. The road up Sierra Blanca is particularly nice, along with the Enchanted Circle, but I have a lot more to explore.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM

91 posts, read 389,429 times
A fascinating land, very magical, holds a certain attraction to people, a appeal that words alone cannot discribe. The Land Of Enchantment, very properly named.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,022,097 times
Yes catman! That should be on my list!! The night sky, and the chance to see millions of stars. My husband was watching the night sky in Santa Fe over the weekend, and saw a shooting star almost as soon as he started watching.

The first time we were out in Eldorado, where it is very dark at night....I was stunned at the number of stars you can see, including the vast Milky Way galaxy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico