Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 AM

656 posts, read 813,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
LOL, please tell us more about the "constitution-free zone."
Here ya go:

From the Left:
https://www.thenation.com/article/66...ion-free-zone/

From the Right:
https://voicesofliberty.com/2015/03/...ion-free-zone/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 252,901 times
That is not on the list of conditions:
https://nmhealth.org/publication/view/form/135/

I'll just say this too, I've never met a mental health professional that would recommend marijuana to someone that is bipolar, that would be a contraindication. I have heard some recent evidence about using it for PTSD, but any credible mental health provider here would not see that as an accepted form of PTSD treatment. I've worked in healthcare for over 8 years. I've worked with PTSD populations as well. I've seen so many patients that end up being on a narcotic for pain, a sedative for ptsd or sleep, an antidepressant or antipsychotic, and then they want to smoke pot as well. There's a point at which poly-pharmacy is unacceptable no matter what health conditions you have. If obtaining marijuana is your priority, why not move to Colorado? It is legal there, better economy, similar weather to NM. Not to mention property taxes are lower and there are more robust medical systems available for treatment. New Mexico's mental health profession is overwhelmed and understaffed. So truly if you're wanting to move for better treatment, I'd research if you'll have the same clinical services here you would in OK or other places.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
That is not on the list of conditions:
https://nmhealth.org/publication/view/form/135/
Fail. Try spelling PTSD out and it's right there on page 3.

Quote:
I'll just say this too, I've never met a mental health professional that would recommend marijuana to someone that is bipolar, that would be a contraindication. I have heard some recent evidence about using it for PTSD, but any credible mental health provider here would not see that as an accepted form of PTSD treatment.
Again, fail. I've met at least 3, in person.

Quote:
New Mexico's mental health profession is overwhelmed and understaffed.
A problem which is exacerbated by the amount of misinformation out there.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 5,281 times
Default Constitution-free Zone

I think Poncho was speaking 'figuratively'. What I got from his post was that LEOs there don't worry too much about a wayfarer's legal rights under law.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mask View Post
I think Poncho was speaking 'figuratively'. What I got from his post was that LEOs there don't worry too much about a wayfarer's legal rights under law.

Exactly which post are you talking about? I never made such claims... I provided some references.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-29-2017 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-01-2017, 12:37 PM

142 posts, read 252,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Fail. Try spelling PTSD out and it's right there on page 3.

Again, fail. I've met at least 3, in person.

A problem which is exacerbated by the amount of misinformation out there.
My bad. I missed that when I read the list.

That's great that you've met providers that recommend it, but it is not as of yet considered an accepted form of treatment for PTSD (mainly due to lack of research). I have not met any and have worked with dozens of psychiatrist, psychologist, LCSWs, and mental health nurse practitioners. However times are changing and it could start to become more accepted.
Here's an example from the VA sites:
Marijuana Use and PTSD among Veterans - PTSD: National Center for PTSD

And there are numerous articles on marijuana and bipolar effects, here's one:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...06460305001942
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1....2007.10399879

And my comment about mental health resources was based more on experience and that of other professionals I've worked with. But articles do pop up from time to time:
Fourth behavioral health provider leaving New Mexico | KRQE News 13

I'm sorry I failed you, Zoidberg. But if I may re-phrase to the original poster: New Mexico is a great place to live with lots of sunshine (which is great for depression) and great weather. Medical marijuana is available for PTSD here. Mental health resources are widely available here, but sometimes require a bit of waiting for an office visit. And while it is none of my business how you treat your bipolar, I have been informed that marijuana can have negative impacts on mental health, especially with regard to mania and psychosis. If you find NM is a good fit for you, then I hope you enjoy your time here.

Last edited by foggnm; 02-01-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico