U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
 
13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Reputation: 11335

Advertisements

I've always like reading about Susan McSween. She was born n Gettysburg in 1845 and married an attorney Alexander Mcsween in Kansas and then they moved to Lincoln County to do legal work for John Chisum one of the largest Cattle Barons in the USA as he owned over 100,000 head of cattle back then.That is what allowed them to know John Tunstall of Lincoln who was murdered by rival ranchers which spawned Billy the Kid to do his revenge killings. Billy was good friends of the McSweens so he and Susan knew each other and after the Lincoln county war was over with her husband being killed she bought into the Cattle business and became one of the largest Cattle Baronesses in the late 1800's and early 1900's in the west.

She lived most of her life in White Oaks (Ghost Town) about 10 miles north of Carrizozo and is buried in the Cemetary there as you can see her Grave Stone there. Very eerry Graveyard as i would want to be in there at nite if you catch my drift.

White Oaks Cedarvale Cemetery, final resting place of the first governor of New Mexico, Susan McSween Barber of Lincoln County War fame, and Deputy James Bell, murdered by Billy the Kid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Ruidoso NM
1,483 posts, read 1,199,580 times
Reputation: 576
On my mothers side of the family my great grandmother came from white oaks, when I move down there my mom is taking me to the cemetery....but like you I wont go there at night...lol, in the early 1900's my family settled in Ruidosos,My greatgrandfather was sheriff of lincoln county in the 40's He was a story teller.Hetold of the cattle wars and billy the kid and from what I understand we were also very much involved in those times but I often wondered as a child why is it only a white history? I once asked my teacher this in the 4th grade as we were learning about the cattle wars, and she said it was about whites now.we went important. I asked my great grandfather, where we came from before white oaks and he said from the north, and this too is a common answer from my dad's family too, The north of what? Mexico? spain? Colorado? My dads family cemetery is in Hondo picacho tinnie, somewhere there in that vicinity, my aunt is going to take me and I'm going to bury my dads ashes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
 
950 posts, read 2,153,539 times
Reputation: 252
Default Missouri -- Colorado?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
On my mothers side of the family my great grandmother came from white oaks, when I move down there my mom is taking me to the cemetery....but like you I wont go there at night...lol, in the early 1900's my family settled in Ruidosos,My greatgrandfather was sheriff of lincoln county in the 40's He was a story teller.Hetold of the cattle wars and billy the kid and from what I understand we were also very much involved in those times but I often wondered as a child why is it only a white history? I once asked my teacher this in the 4th grade as we were learning about the cattle wars, and she said it was about whites now.we went important. I asked my great grandfather, where we came from before white oaks and he said from the north, and this too is a common answer from my dad's family too, The north of what? Mexico? spain? Colorado? My dads family cemetery is in Hondo picacho tinnie, somewhere there in that vicinity, my aunt is going to take me and I'm going to bury my dads ashes there.
My only family here are/were distant relatives, but from what I have read about the history, I would guess that north might have meant from or through Missouri as distinguished from Texas. (Some would have come through Colorado and Bent's Fort.) Many of the early Anglo's had been fur trappers or traders and the Santa Fe Trail opened up (starting about 1821?) just as the fur trade was in decline. The fur traders were a varied bunch including some French who been picked up by the US with the Louisiana Purchase. Not too far from me is El Rancho de Bouquet, a remnant of those days. The Taos -- Santa Fe stagecoach stopped there and we can imagine that Kit Carson stretched his legs.

And then when the US invaded without bloodshed (1846?), it was a contingent of Missouri volunteers. I'd imagine that some stayed.

El Rancho de Bouquet is unhappily not open to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Ruidoso NM
1,483 posts, read 1,199,580 times
Reputation: 576
Hi Devin, thanks for your post, it is exciting to track your history isnt it! ?
Thanks for your suggestion but my family were not Anglos, They did start out with land grants from spain, Im curious to what happened? besides scrapping a living to have have caused such great moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 AM
 
13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Reputation: 11335
Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Victorio Peak
Isn't that where the the ''Lost Gold'' legacy is supposedly hidden on the White Sands missile Range yb ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,229 posts, read 5,922,269 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Isn't that where the the ''Lost Gold'' legacy is supposedly hidden on the White Sands missile Range yb ??
Yes. Here is a good page on the legend
Victorio Peak Mystery Treasure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
 
13,024 posts, read 24,432,188 times
Reputation: 11335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Yes. Here is a good page on the legend
Victorio Peak Mystery Treasure
Right on.....thanks for that info and posting Ibarrio !!

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top