Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Hi there,

During my research of cities that have communal gardens, ABQ came up, but upon further research, I'm now realizing it's even dryer than Vegas & I couldn't stand Vegas because it was so dry.

I also have to have green grass, etc.

Are there any places in NM that aren't very dry, are green & have fast reliable Internet that isn't too expensive?

Thanks
Some of the prettiest landscaping we have seen is in NM> is it all dry and brown? Dry yes, brown not at all. The big difference between Vegas and say, ABQ is the altitude. ABQ, though dry is also 7,000 or more feet above sea level, making the temps, even in the summer rather mild day and night. We lived slightly south of ABQ. A lot of our neighbors had green grass. We had a mixture of grass and rock.

You do have to remember desert is not the same as living in an area that is tropical. Internet; very reasonable and good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 AM

142 posts, read 252,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Hi there,

During my research of cities that have communal gardens, ABQ came up, but upon further research, I'm now realizing it's even dryer than Vegas & I couldn't stand Vegas because it was so dry.
Las Vegas, NV has about 1/2 the annual rainfall of Albuquerque and so it is the other way around: Vegas is drier than Albuquerque. But if you're just talking about the dryness in general, yes it is extremely dry here. Low humidity, low precipitation. If you look at a precipitation map of the United States you will see the whole mountain west is orange/red....low precipitation.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of the prettiest landscaping we have seen is in NM> is it all dry and brown? Dry yes, brown not at all.... ABQ, though dry is also 7,000 or more feet above sea level
I wouldn't call anyplace that gets >30" of rain per year "dry". In NM that only happens around the taller mountains, but still there are some wet spots. The ponderosa pine forests seem to need >20" or so, and a large portion of NM is covered with them.

Albuquerque is 5300 ft BTW, not >7000. It's as high as Denver which not many people realize. Albuquerque is dry, but a short drive east of Albuquerque can put you in a very nice forest.

Last edited by rruff; 02-19-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Some of the prettiest landscaping we have seen is in NM> is it all dry and brown? Dry yes, brown not at all. The big difference between Vegas and say, ABQ is the altitude. ABQ, though dry is also 7,000 or more feet above sea level, making the temps, even in the summer rather mild day and night. We lived slightly south of ABQ. A lot of our neighbors had green grass. We had a mixture of grass and rock.

You do have to remember desert is not the same as living in an area that is tropical. Internet; very reasonable and good.
ABQ is not at 7,000 feet or more elevation.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Albuquerque has one of the highest elevations of any major city in the United States. The elevation of the city ranges from 4,900 feet above sea level near the Rio Grande to over 6,700 feet in the foothill areas of Sandia Heights and Glenwood Hills. At the airport, the elevation is 5,352 feet above sea level.

Albuquerque has a total area of 189.5 square miles, of which 187.7 square miles is land and 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2), or 0.96%, is water.

Albuquerque lies within the northern, upper edges of the Chihuahuan Desert ecoregion.

The Sandia Mountains immediately to the east of the city of Albuquerque (an estimated 5 miles, as the bird flies), has its highest point at Sandia Crest, at 10,678 feet.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albuquerque,_New_Mexico
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandia_Mountains

Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
The elevation of the city ranges from 4,900 feet above sea level near the Rio Grande to over 6,700 feet in the foothill areas of Sandia Heights and Glenwood Hills.

Might just be me but a couple times heading west on Paseo from Tramway and catching all the lights I've actually felt my ears pop a bit from the elevation change. I doubt many cities can claim that!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Actually straight east of Santa Fe. If you take the paved road north out of Pecos, that might be your closest and best bet. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8321...!7i2816!8i2112

On the other hand I think the ski area is pretty lush and that's surely more convenient: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7953...7i13312!8i6656
I haven't explored the Pecos area, thank you.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
I wouldn't call anyplace that gets >30" of rain per year "dry". In NM that only happens around the taller mountains, but still there are some wet spots. The ponderosa pine forests seem to need >20" or so, and a large portion of NM is covered with them.

Albuquerque is 5300 ft BTW, not >7000. It's as high as Denver which not many people realize. Albuquerque is dry, but a short drive east of Albuquerque can put you in a very nice forest.
Am not sure I understand your reply? Of course 30 inches of rain is not dry, but most of NM, especially the parts that are heavily populated do not get 30 in of rain. ABQ is certainly considered dry for heavens sake. This isn't a put down, by any means if you read my posts. It is simply a fact.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
ABQ is not at 7,000 feet or more elevation.
I realize that. I was just picking a figure out of my head. depending on what chart you use and exactly where you measuring the altitude: it can be as low as just under 5.000 or as high as close to 7,000,

Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Am not sure I understand your reply? Of course 30 inches of rain is not dry, but most of NM, especially the parts that are heavily populated do not get 30 in of rain. ABQ is certainly considered dry for heavens sake. This isn't a put down, by any means if you read my posts. It is simply a fact.
It isn't a fact that *all* of NM is dry. That was the statement you made. I can totally agree that *most* of it would go in the dry category for most people. And all the most populated parts are pretty dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico