Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:06 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

The problem with the lush green parts of NM is that they are at high elevations with a very short growing season, not suitable for most agriculture, but used for cattle grazing. The agricultural activity in the state happens in valley locations near water sources that provide irrigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 11:00 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Brown is the new green...even what is green to local New Mexicans is probably not as green as what someone else would expect. The desert is green to us in a wet year. This is a picture from last October...it was probably somewhat greener a month or two earlier.

At Ghost Ranch, northern NM

Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 282,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Dry does not equal "brown." The absence of lush grass in the Southwest reveals a whole palette of other colors that you won't find in greener states (all photos taken in New Mexico):

Nice pics

I just want to stand out on lush green grass that won't hurt my feet. I guess that's asking for too much.

I guess I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2017, 07:49 PM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 282,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it is a desert region, after all. However, there are a couple of greenish spots, IMO. Take a look at Ruidoso, and also Taos. IDK about green lawns, but Taos IMO is full of greenery, and has creeks running through it. It feels positively lush, compared to sparser Santa Fe. I have seen green lawns in Santa Fe, but only at homes of the wealthy, who can afford to pay the higher cost of water consumption that goes beyond the basic. (There's a two-tiered meter/rating system.) And those green lawns are hidden behind high walls, which tells you something.

Is there a reason you're considering NM for relocation? Even in California, people had to abandon their lawns, due to the extended drought. You might consider locations that have a more plentiful water supply. But if for whatever reason, your heart is set on NM, spend a few days in Taos, and stroll around the various parts of town. Get a feel for it. If you don't mind small towns.
Yes, I have come to that conclusion unfortunately.

Well first off I was looking for cities that have communal gardens or micro farms so I can get organic produce for a reasonable price & ABQ came up on my radar plus the cost of living is lower.

Thank you Ruth

Old 01-25-2017, 08:28 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Yes there are many places that are green in the South, Bent - Cloudcroft - Ruidoso are all green and scenic.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 PM

201 posts, read 291,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Hi there,

During my research of cities that have communal gardens, ABQ came up, but upon further research, I'm now realizing it's even dryer than Vegas & I couldn't stand Vegas because it was so dry.

I also have to have green grass, etc.

Are there any places in NM that aren't very dry, are green & have fast reliable Internet that isn't too expensive?

Thanks
I believe you may be best versed for a future in virtual reality (VR) where all your perfect assumptions and dreams come true. ****, a simple google search would have given you your most basic answers to the questions you posed. Seriously? Ugh.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Yes there are many places that are green in the South, Bent - Cloudcroft - Ruidoso are all green and scenic.
Define green. I know a woman from Albuquerque who said she could never live in a rainy climate like Santa Fe.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Are there any places in NM that aren't very dry, are green & have fast reliable Internet that isn't too expensive?
Yes, much of the state is higher elevation pine forest and pinion/juniper forest. The most lush parts can be found on the eastern side of taller mountains. The east side of the Santa Fe Mountains north of Las Vegas, NM is a wet spot. Right east of Albuquerque on the other side of the Sandia range it is quite lush also. Ruidoso and Cloudcroft in the southern part of the state are in pine and fir forests, and north of Silver City is the huge Gila Forest.

What requirements do you have besides internet and greenery? Climate, city proximity, other activities, etc?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
OP - If you want green grass to walk on then the Albuquerque Park System is your answer. We visited the Botanical Garden and part of the Zoo and were greatly impressed by the place. It is truly an Oasis in the desert.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:21 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
Yes, I have come to that conclusion unfortunately.

Well first off I was looking for cities that have communal gardens or micro farms so I can get organic produce for a reasonable price & ABQ came up on my radar plus the cost of living is lower.

Thank you Ruth

Santa Fe has an outstanding Farmer's Market where you can get just about anything edible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico