Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times

Advertisements

We went to ABQ late last year for 1 week and I really liked what I saw. The food was awesome, Rio Rancho was nice, Santa Fe beautiful, The Tram terrifying... lots of new construction (reasonable!) But she thinks It's dirty (city/some suburbs) and not very safe. I'm not so sure about that, but it did seem to be very run down in some areas. I realize this is not how the state is as a whole, but how can I convince her it's a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Thumbs down What do you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
We went to ABQ late last year for 1 week and I really liked what I saw. The food was awesome, Rio Rancho was nice, Santa Fe beautiful, The Tram terrifying... lots of new construction (reasonable!) But she thinks It's dirty (city/some suburbs) and not very safe. I'm not so sure about that, but it did seem to be very run down in some areas. I realize this is not how the state is as a whole, but how can I convince her it's a nice place to live?
New Mexico is a big, varied place -- maybe you should tell us more of what you are looking for.

Santa Fe is national average for crime and I suspect that crimes tends to be concentrated in neighborhoods where you would have little reason to visit. It is expensive for NM, however, and you probably would not want to buy in SF unless you appreciated some of its world-class assets -- museums, symphony orchestra, opera, museum quality galleries, and a large expanse of consistent New Mexico architecture. If you live in ABQ, a rail link to SF is coming, so that might be enough for you.

Santa Fe is 7,000 feet (northern county drops to 6,000 feet) and altitude drives climate, so Santa Fe gets snow in moderation -- 17 inches -- and has four seasons. A lot of New Mexicans think it gets cold in winter, but you might not depending upon where you come from.

ABQ you saw and it is the job growth engine of New Mexico. It is warmer than Santa Fe but then colder than places that are lower -- and are mostly in the south.

But then are lots of different places to consider -- each with its own appeal.

That dirt was probably dust, and dust gets kicked up by the wind. My impression is that the wind is stronger east and south in NM, but don't know -- so anybody please correct me. I do know that Nambe, which is a very small area north of SF in the Pojoaque Valley gets less wind than other places around here -- something to do with the lay of the land, I suspect. Also I suspect that there are other places in NM like this -- less wind than average for the area.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Devin,

Thanks for the reply. I have done lots of reading on this site and have gleaned tons of info from positive and negative posters of ABQ and NM in general. From some of the postings you'd think NM was populated with gangs and illegals and thats about it... I know thats not even close to reality.

I'm a little unsure of the longterm growth/stability there. We love the dry climate and slower way of life but, as others have expressed when they see the local neighborhoods, it's not very encouraging in some areas. I wont dwell on that. We're from CT, by the way.

What does the employment picture look like? I'm aerospace (former)/medical device engineer (present) and my wife is a dental assistant.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:16 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,737 times
Question Growth, yes. Jobs, ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Devin,

Thanks for the reply. I have done lots of reading on this site and have gleaned tons of info from positive and negative posters of ABQ and NM in general. From some of the postings you'd think NM was populated with gangs and illegals and thats about it... I know thats not even close to reality.

I'm a little unsure of the longterm growth/stability there. We love the dry climate and slower way of life but, as others have expressed when they see the local neighborhoods, it's not very encouraging in some areas. I wont dwell on that. We're from CT, by the way.

What does the employment picture look like? I'm aerospace (former)/medical device engineer (present) and my wife is a dental assistant.

Thanks in advance.
I think that the long-term growth picture is almost too positive. Albuquerque seems to do great at generating new jobs. And at some point, baby boomers retire in great numbers and a lot of the places they have been going are filling up. NM is by far the least crowded of the southern tier of states. So does growth accelerate -- are we the next Arizona? I suspect so -- if the housing bust ends in 2010 and baby boomers retire in great numbers in 2011 -- New Mexico grows rapidly and any housing investment in NM pays off big. But -- the cost is a higher density state and all that implies.

Dental assistant -- sometimes my dentist does the cleaning himself and I don't think he likes it -- my normally chipper dentist becomes totally taciturn. Does that imply a shortage?

Medical device engineer -- I don't know. Maybe one of the national labs or Albuquerque? Los Alamos has been in a slump -- but I think they have hit bottom and now is a good time to buy a house up there. But they are THE employer in that town and I wouldn't move there without a job. Maybe somebody else knows about your field?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,268 times
Tetto, well, overall, every big city has its rundown parts. Go to NY one of the wealthiest cities in the world and you will see vast areas (much of the Bronx, parts of Brooklyn, Queens) that are run down.. So it all depends. ABQ strikes me as prospering with lots of nice neighborhoods as well as some run down sections.

i

Old 03-02-2008, 07:18 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,465 times
New Mexico, with its stark weather and exotic scenery, takes some getting used to.

Although I don't agree with her, I understand your wife's point of view.

Maybe another trip out here might help. If not, then it might be best to try another state or to stay where you are.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I didn't have to get used to it. I loved NM the first time I visited it. With severe storms headed this way (Ft Worth), I can hardly wait to visit again and hopefully move there!

Old 03-03-2008, 04:20 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Well, I'm from the old school so in my opinion, a wife needs to go where her husband feels would better the family or couple, whatever the case may be. It sounds like you're doing your research and will make the right decision. I may have missed it, but where do you now reside? I just looked at your other posts, so I'm assuming it's Connecticut.

So for what it's worth, it's really your decision and hopefully, she will agree to it in due course.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I didn't have to get used to it. I loved NM the first time I visited it. With severe storms headed this way (Ft Worth), I can hardly wait to visit again and hopefully move there!
Hey catman,

I was rudely awakened around 4:30 with wind, lightning, and thunder but luckily, nothing severe even though we're under a tornado watch until 9 a.m. Ugh, I hate this stuff. My one dog was at my bedroom door with the first clap and of course, I was up with the first clap of thunder to see if I needed to hightail it down into my storm cellar.

At least the temperatures will be cooler today and no humidity. I am sweating to death right now in the house even though summer isn't even close to being here yet. I surely dislike humidity and storms and..........

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Well, I'm from the old school so in my opinion, a wife needs to go where her husband feels would better the family or couple, whatever the case may be.

So for what it's worth, it's really your decision and hopefully, she will agree to it in due course.
I guess I am from the school that teaches that such a MAJOR decision would be up to a COUPLE to decide TOGETHER, and not just the husband. Why would the wife be left out of a decision as to "what would better the family or couple"?

Tetto, a relocation to New Mexico would be enormous enough if you are both in agreement; to attempt it if one party really is not 100% in agreement with it could be disastrous and would have an enormous impact on such a decision.

I would suggest another visit to the state, and time for her to get to know ABQ as well as some other areas of the state. I really don't know any way for you to convince her it is a nice place to live - she would have to come to that decision and desire for herself.

Best of luck to you, and I hope things work out for you and your wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico