Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,587,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I thought all of Florida would be humid but i guess the ocean breeze could mitigate it some.
There is a big difference from Ft Lauderdale Beach or 10 miles from the coast with cool breezes and then going to the Everglades which is "a 1.5-million-acre wetlands preserve on the southern tip of the U.S. state of Florida. Often compared to a grassy, slow-moving river, the Everglades is made up of coastal mangroves, sawgrass marshes and pine flatwoods that are home to hundreds of animal species. Among the Everglades' abundant wildlife are the endangered leatherback turtle, Florida panther and West Indian manatee." or briefly described as a swamp....

I grew up in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area... But I now enjoy parts of New Mexico and Arizona (we can still visit family back in Florida).

P1170884 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

P1170883 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

P1170886c - Hollywood Beach by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Hollywood Beach, Florida, Hollywood Beach, Florida. Taken on September 19, 2017 by my wife... It was very nice...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-16-2019 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 07:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,813,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
If high elevation bothers you, and you want to avoid both heat and cold, you are probably out of luck. Though I'd prefer the climate anywhere in NM to Ohio!

The lowest areas in the south are still pretty high. Las Cruces ~4,000ft and Carlsbad ~3,200 ft. And they get hot in summer, but a few degrees cooler than Tucson.

But on the other hand, the only low elevations anywhere in the US that have a really mild climate are the southern CA coastal areas, and that's big $$$. Southern AZ or NM or SW TX, with as much elevation as you can tolerate is the best you will find otherwise.

Since I am not on Oxygen, only use inhalers twice a day,I would think 3,000 ft. should be fine.Will ask my Dr. when I see her next month. Thank you for the info. What about the risk of Valley Fever? I may have had that when we lived in Tucson in '62-'63.
As of now,I'm thinking Carlsbad.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-17-2019 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,558,222 times
Valley Fever is much less common in NM. If you've had it, then you have immunity and should not get it again unless your immune system is greatly compromised.

Here is an interactive map with climate data for NM. Hover your mouse over the dot to see what the station is, and click to see the data: https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmnm.html

And don't forget to check out the City Data page for Carlsbad: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carlsbad-New-Mexico.html

And use Google street view to check out how things look on the ground.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:53 AM

5,658 posts, read 4,197,654 times
Quote:
Valley Fever is much less common in NM. If you've had it, then you have immunity and should not get it again unless your immune system is greatly compromised.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/lif...co/2711787002/

Doctors say it is more prevalent here than statistics indicate because its symptoms are similar to other illnesses and many doctors don't know much about it. A survey conducted by the New Mexico Department of Health in 2011 found that two-thirds of doctors in the state did not feel confident in their ability to diagnose valley fever.
Climate change could increase the prevalence of valley fever in New Mexico because it is expected to warm temperatures, which will dry soils and increase the frequency of blowing dust.
"It’s not terribly common, but it's not rare," said Dr. Obi Okoli, a Las Cruces physician who has developed a specialty in valley fever. "I'm kind of surprised how many people who live here have never heard about it. I think it would be a good thing if more people were aware that it exists."

Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM

5,658 posts, read 4,197,654 times
Quote:

This map is incomplete. Can you link to the original? It doesn't state what the numbers mean. Are those total numbers of cases? Totals per year? Totals per 100,000?

Old 03-17-2019, 11:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,813,323 times
Quote:

Here is an interactive map with climate data for NM. Hover your mouse over the dot to see what the station is, and click to see the data: https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmnm.html

And don't forget to check out the City Data page for Carlsbad: http://www.city-data.com/city/Carlsbad-New-Mexico.html

And use Google street view to check out how things look on the ground.

Thank you for sharing that info.

I am also thinking of Kingman,AZ. My adult son who lives with me and is an AVID fan of "Tanked" and "Counting Cars" would love to be so close to Las Vegas!

Of course, climate-wise San Diego would be perfect, but the COL is beyond INSANE.....plus due to all those wildfires,with my COPD,the terrible air quality would kill me!

I have also researched Seattle, Oregon,Boise,ID,but we really are leaning toward a sunnier,warmer climate where it's more enjoyable to be outdoors for most of the year,and rare snow/ice,and N-O Humid slimy summers!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-17-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This map is incomplete. Can you link to the original? It doesn't state what the numbers mean. Are those total numbers of cases? Totals per year? Totals per 100,000?
This map shows the average incidence of reported Valley fever per 100,000 people, by county, during 2010–2015.

https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/...osis/maps.html

Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I have researched Seattle, Oregon,Boise,ID,but we really are leaning toward a sunnier,warmer climate where it's more enjoyable to be outdoors for most of the year,and rare snow/ice,and N-O Humid slimy summers!
Yes, I like the sun and dry air in the west... And the mountains! Hardly any bugs, which makes it nice to be outside in evenings. The farther north you go in latitude, the more extreme the winter-summer swings tend to be. In NM we get most rain in the form of summer afternoon showers (weather from the Gulf), with winters here (and in AZ) being sunnier than anywhere in the US. As you move north or west, the cloud cover and precipitation are higher in winter, and it's dry in summer. Boise would be as cold and dreary as most of Ohio in winter (with less snow), but you'd like it the rest of the year.

Kingman is a good place to check. Elevation isn't too high and the climate is fairly mild. Looks like it's been booming but not too expensive. http://www.city-data.com/city/Kingman-Arizona.html

I think the City Data page has wrong info for temperatures. Two stations here show much cooler temperatures, which you'd expect at >3,000ft. https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climsum.html

Last edited by rruff; 03-17-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,122,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It's a coincidence that you refer to that recent article in the Las Cruces Sun News about Valley Fever. Until I read it, I had thought it was another disease spread by mosquitoes. It turns out that one of the three actual cases cited in the article is a person who bought the house once owned by a good friend of mine in Las Cruces who has kept in touch with the buyer and confirms his having caught the disease after buying his house.

With all the sand storms this time of year that stir up the soil, it's amazing that far more people don't have symptoms. Or perhaps they do and consider it to be allergy or other more ordinary respiratory problems?

Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,439,000 times
Exactly. There are no doubt hundreds of New Mexicans who have Valley Fever who think it's just allergies and asthma from tough, highly-allergic attack seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico