Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:58 AM

23,690 posts, read 9,259,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Below are the citydata humidity and temperature graphs for Las Cruces. The beginning of July to mid-Sept is the rainy season. "Monsoons". Still generally sunny but with brief afternoon showers. The weather comes from the gulf and most of Arizona is also effected. It isn't that dry in Tucson and Phoenix in the summer either.

Okay I see.Thanks rruff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,195,139 times
I can only speak for Albuquerque, but when the monsoon comes, a rain event usually lowers the temperature to the low 70s or even upper 60s (usually from a daily peak around 95) so the resulting humidity and its effect on the efficiency of a swamp cooler is moot. I usually just turn off the water pump and let the fan bring in fresh, cool air.

I also usually go outside, barefoot right after a monsoon rain event. The atmosphere in the desert after a strong, cleansing rain is priceless. And there are usually rainbows, to boot.

My opinion is that unless you live in a borderline humid climate, see regular temperatures above 100, or need sub 65 temperatures to be comfortable, an evaporative cooler is well worth consideration.

<edit> and for anyone keeping statistics, I can keep my 2,100 sq. ft. house with a roof mounted medium swamp cooler between 65-75 degrees during the hottest four weeks of summer. Perhaps on the rare week where highs are between 97-102, it creeps up to the upper 70s in the evening.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:53 AM

2,303 posts, read 2,943,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In our home, with a cooler, generally the magic number is over 25% humidity. After the air reaches this threshold of moisture, the cooler is no longer effective. It could be 92 degrees in Cruces in mid-late July, and frequently the humidity will exceed this threshold. The indoor house thermometer will read about 80 degrees in this scenario. In contrast, right now we hit 90 in May, and we can run the cooler on low, because if we run it on high, it will be too cold inside. The humidity matters that much when it comes to a cooler and the level of comfort that can be attained.
We added air conditioning to our cooler and are happier in the summer. The cooler works well in spring and in fall, but come late June and the high heat, there is nothing like the cooling of air-conditioning. Especially for sleeping. Most buyers now want an air-conditioned house. But i guess lots depends on your personal needs.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,674,879 times
A Midwestern transplant into Albuquerque for several years, in general terms, my vote is that a swamp cooler is typically sufficient enough to cool one's home to comfortable levels in the greater Albuquerque area (provided you have the patience for the TLC needed to "open" the swamp cooler in spring and "close" it in late fall - it isn't rocket science, but I had a swamp cooler with a knack for having issues on the hottest days of the year sending me up to deal with it on my scorching rooftop for hours on end at just the wrong times).

In an ideal world, in the Albuquerque area, you'd have the option of either a swamp cooler or an air conditioner. Its not a prerequisite for comfortable living, as typically when the air dew point (which is a better indicator of swamp cooler efficiency than humidity levels themselves) is high enough to make the swamp cooler not work well, its usually cool enough by that point outdoors anyway.

I would say Albuquerque just having a swamp is good enough, however, having the choice between a swamp and AC (or straight AC) is probably better if you are not a fan of warm indoor temps at all.

Once you'd get south and to lower altitudes such as Truth or Consequences or Las Cruces, to me, I would far prefer having AC at least as an option. I spent a lot of time in El Paso, TX (similar climate to Las Cruces) in housing with only a swamp cooler and that would get too warm to be optimally comfortable for me frequently. If I were to live in Las Cruces or El Paso, I would demand upon air conditioning. In Albuquerque, AC would be preferred but not a necessity for living (of course you'd need then evaporative cooling: some sort of cooling mechanism would certainly be necessary).

Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 PM

23 posts, read 49,633 times
After doing tons of research, Las Cruces seems too crime ridden and hot for my liking. And anywhere north (Santa Fe etc.) would be too cold. Im now thinking Alamogordo. Yearly temps are pretty decent and the town and population is similar to the last town I lived in...Sebastian, FL.

After I am done with my schooling this year in October, I am really considering hitting the road again and spending about 3 weeks in New Mexico (mostly Alamogordo) to see if I really like it. Then back to FL it is for 2 more years of schooling.

I see there isn't much for jobs there but I will be getting an AA in Crime Scene Technology and there are jobs all over the place in that field. Upon completion *fingers crossed* there will be an opening in or near Alamogordo. I would consider moving there now but the basic housing allowance for my GI Bill is less then half of what im getting now.

Thanks all for the replies, you have been most helpful.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,259,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBound22 View Post
After doing tons of research, Las Cruces seems too crime ridden and hot for my liking. And anywhere north (Santa Fe etc.) would be too cold. Im now thinking Alamogordo. Yearly temps are pretty decent and the town and population is similar to the last town I lived in...Sebastian, FL.

After I am done with my schooling this year in October, I am really considering hitting the road again and spending about 3 weeks in New Mexico (mostly Alamogordo) to see if I really like it. Then back to FL it is for 2 more years of schooling.

I see there isn't much for jobs there but I will be getting an AA in Crime Scene Technology and there are jobs all over the place in that field. Upon completion *fingers crossed* there will be an opening in or near Alamogordo. I would consider moving there now but the basic housing allowance for my GI Bill is less then half of what im getting now.

Netime bro...best of luck

Old 07-08-2017, 12:04 AM

70 posts, read 86,099 times
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is much of a temperature difference between Las Cruces and Alamogordo. I've never thought of Las Cruces as being crime ridden either. There is definitely a size difference between the two cities and Alamogordo is much closer to the higher mountains that could provide a quick escape from high temperatures during the summer months and easy access to skiing in the winter.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:17 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,444,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
We've lived in Cruces for a year, decent town.

Cons:

*The weather, it's brutally hot, dry, and windy (be prepared to wake up feeling dehydrated with a stuffed nose, every day)
*It's a poor town. Lots of poor seniors, illegals, and college kids (in some areas you'd swear you where in Juarez)
*Not a lot of opportunities for career growth
*If you're from a populated area you will feel like there are hardly any choices (Walmart or Kroger? Texas Roadhouse or Applebee's?)
*Schools are not good (that's me being nice)
*Californians are here
*It's really really really hot and dry (you might feel trapped in your house because of it, you will miss overcast skies, rain, green grass and shade trees)

Pros:

*The weather, warm sunny fall and winter months (late evenings are great year round)
*No traffic
*Proximity to outdoor recreation (Love me some Ruidoso!)
*Leans conservative politically (huge 2nd amendment crowd)
*Unlimited options for Mexican food
*People are generally nice, lots of Midwest folks
*No yard maintenance (maybe pick a few weeds)
*No humidity, the weather is great
There are no Kroger stores in Las Cruces and there never have been.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:31 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,444,896 times
Quote:

Re: LC = Not true.
Best to come and compare, but I think you will change your mind re: Alamo vs. LC...

Old 07-08-2017, 08:08 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,550,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1974 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is much of a temperature difference between Las Cruces and Alamogordo. I've never thought of Las Cruces as being crime ridden either. There is definitely a size difference between the two cities and Alamogordo is much closer to the higher mountains that could provide a quick escape from high temperatures during the summer months and easy access to skiing in the winter.

Near Alamogordo are the east foothill side of La Luz and the small communities of Mountain Park and High Rolls on the road to Cloudcroft. They are around 6,000 ft elevation and have a nice year round climate.

Las Cruces doesn't have bad crime and there is a lot more going on. Very fast growing area too, unlike most of NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico