U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 AM

7,942 posts, read 8,446,109 times

Advertisements

We lived in Alamogordo for two years. The city is small, but not tiny. Shopping is there, but limited. Fairly safe living, not totally safe. Lock up things and keep your nose in your own business and you'll be fine. The rising mountains right on Alamogordo's eastern border are beautiful. The hospital sits right at the bottom of that mountain. Traffic is a piece of cake. Easy access to cooler weather if you're willing to travel up that mountain range from Alamogordo up the highway to Cloudcroft, only 16 miles east of town. There are some very nice people in Alamogordo, my wife didn't really want to leave. I left a good job there to go back to Washington state and care for our Mom, who was sick with cancer. My wife didn't really want to leave Alamogordo.

Las Cruces, the home of New Mexico State University, is around 100,000 population, and a busier place. There are more stores and there's more ta do. The pace is busier, but not overly annoying. Some poor parts of town (you can't miss 'em) and some very nice subdivisions. The Organ Mountain range on the east side of the city is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't shy away from relocating to Las Cruces. El Paso, a city of a half a million, is only 40 miles to the south of town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 03:42 PM

23 posts, read 46,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman1974 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there is much of a temperature difference between Las Cruces and Alamogordo. I've never thought of Las Cruces as being crime ridden either. There is definitely a size difference between the two cities and Alamogordo is much closer to the higher mountains that could provide a quick escape from high temperatures during the summer months and easy access to skiing in the winter.
Looks about 10 - 15 degrees cooler average judging by a yearly temp search. Lots of crime posted almost everyday on the Las Cruces community page on Facebook. Guess I will have to see for myself when I go back out there. The ideal climate I am looking for is moderate summers and moderate winters in NM. I really love the temp drops at sunset and the morning out there in the southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Re: LC = Not true.
Best to come and compare, but I think you will change your mind re: Alamo vs. LC...
Not from what I see on that FB page. I live in a similar city now around the same square footage and population, and the crime is not as much from I see in LC.

Agreed on coming and seeing for myself. I will be there in October to spend a few weeks in southren NM to see whats up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
We lived in Alamogordo for two years. The city is small, but not tiny. Shopping is there, but limited. Fairly safe living, not totally safe. Lock up things and keep your nose in your own business and you'll be fine. The rising mountains right on Alamogordo's eastern border are beautiful. The hospital sits right at the bottom of that mountain. Traffic is a piece of cake. Easy access to cooler weather if you're willing to travel up that mountain range from Alamogordo up the highway to Cloudcroft, only 16 miles east of town. There are some very nice people in Alamogordo, my wife didn't really want to leave. I left a good job there to go back to Washington state and care for our Mom, who was sick with cancer. My wife didn't really want to leave Alamogordo.

Las Cruces, the home of New Mexico State University, is around 100,000 population, and a busier place. There are more stores and there's more ta do. The pace is busier, but not overly annoying. Some poor parts of town (you can't miss 'em) and some very nice subdivisions. The Organ Mountain range on the east side of the city is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't shy away from relocating to Las Cruces. El Paso, a city of a half a million, is only 40 miles to the south of town.
Decisions, decisions...many thanks for your input and I can't wait to get back in October!

Just to give folks some more background, I am a SWM late thirties, single and no kids...but all that can change in 2 years of course. I have found as I get older, safety, quietness and friendly people are a plus where I live. I don't want to just jump into something without knowing fully what im getting into. When I took my roadtrip of the US, I stayed in Raton and Deming. Not ideal places to live...for myself anyway. But I am kicking my self in the ass for not stopping in Alamo and LC when traveling thru the state, but we were on a time schedule anyhow.

It would be ideal to hook up with someone that lives in LC and/or Alamo that can show me around...wishful thinking

I would also like some opinions on Truth Or Consequences too if any folks live or have lived there as well...thanks all

Last edited by NMBound22; 07-08-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 PM

356 posts, read 398,187 times
NM Bound, I assume you are using the tools available to help in your search. I am using several layers: forums like this one, city data as provided here as well, local newspapers, detailed climate data, Google maps, Realtor.com, Google Earth, etc. It's not too hard to get a spatial feel for a place, but that's no substitute for boots on the ground, of course.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Yessir Bill but like you said, there is nothing better than boots on the ground. Can't wait to get back in a few months to explore.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:00 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,024,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBound22 View Post
Looks about 10 - 15 degrees cooler average judging by a yearly temp search.
Where are you looking? It's really more like 2 degrees. This a good site: https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmnm.html

If you want moderate year round temperatures, the higher elevation towns in southern NM are the best. None are that big, but Ruidoso and Silver City are the best examples. Ruidoso has an average high in July of 82, and 50 in Jan, and that is typically a dry and sunny 50.

Quote:
Just to give folks some more background, I am a SWM late thirties, single and no kids...but all that can change in 2 years of course. I have found as I get older, safety, quietness and friendly people are a plus where I live. I don't want to just jump into something without knowing fully what im getting into. When I took my roadtrip of the US, I stayed in Raton and Deming. Not ideal places to live...for myself anyway.

I would also like some opinions on Truth Or Consequences too if any folks live or have lived there as well...thanks all
TorC is a funky low budget retirement and resort (hotsprings) town. It's small and pretty isolated. If Deming and Raton are boring, I think you might get tired of TorC as well. But it all depends on what you value the most.

So what is that? Do jobs matter? Single women? Nightlife? Recreation? Sports? Shopping? Cost of living?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Where are you looking? It's really more like 2 degrees. This a good site: https://wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmnm.html

If you want moderate year round temperatures, the higher elevation towns in southern NM are the best. None are that big, but Ruidoso and Silver City are the best examples. Ruidoso has an average high in July of 82, and 50 in Jan, and that is typically a dry and sunny 50.

TorC is a funky low budget retirement and resort (hotsprings) town. It's small and pretty isolated. If Deming and Raton are boring, I think you might get tired of TorC as well. But it all depends on what you value the most.

So what is that? Do jobs matter? Single women? Nightlife? Recreation? Sports? Shopping? Cost of living?

Interesting, I will definitely have to look into Ruidoso and Silver City...those temps seem ideal and I have not researched those cities at all. I was looking at usclimatedata.com fyi.

Thanks for the heads up on TorC too.

And to answer your questions besides my ideal living areas previously stated...a decent amount of shopping would be nice, great food is important, the more single women the better, wide recreation is a huge plus (my whole reason being drawn to the land of enchantment), an area with a good job rate would great and nightlife I could care less about.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:06 AM

4,280 posts, read 8,468,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
For all practical purposes, Las Cruces and Alamogordo have virtually identical climates. The difference between the two is that Alamogordo affords easy access to the forested heights to the east of town where summer temps are about 15F cooler year around.

Ruidoso is a special case - being a strictly tourist economy. I'm guessing the actual permanent population of about 7,800 represents only 3/4 of the part-time resident housing available in that area.

HOUSING OCCUPANCY - Town of Ruidoso (excludes county)
Total housing units 8,428
Occupied housing units 3,784
Vacant housing units 4,644 (this includes part-time residents as well as "for sale" properties)

Last edited by joqua; 07-09-2017 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 02:56 AM

23,696 posts, read 7,929,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBound22 View Post
Interesting, I will definitely have to look into Ruidoso and Silver City...those temps seem ideal and I have not researched those cities at all. I was looking at usclimatedata.com fyi.

Thanks for the heads up on TorC too.

And to answer your questions besides my ideal living areas previously stated...a decent amount of shopping would be nice, great food is important, the more single women the better, wide recreation is a huge plus (my whole reason being drawn to the land of enchantment), an area with a good job rate would great and nightlife I could care less about.
I dont think Ruidoso would work unless you were willing to work in a service sector-type McJob like at a restaurant or hotel/motel or somethin.I dont think there's a lot of good jobs there.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:10 AM

7,942 posts, read 8,446,109 times
I dont think Ruidoso would work unless you were willing to work in a service sector-type McJob like at a restaurant or hotel/motel or somethin.I dont think there's a lot of good jobs there.

The town is kind of charming - there is a small hospital there if you need work and have a medical background. There are some doctor's offices, several restaurants, some car dealerships, McDonald's and Wal*Mart. Did I hear that Ruidoso Downs shut down, or is shutting down? Not a lot of work in Ruidoso, though we often chose to take the hour-long drive up the mountain into Ruidoso to get away from Alamogordo to shop, even if we only went to their Wal*Mart instead of our Wal*Mart in Alamogordo.

There is a golf course, too, if you like to golf. And several pet deer hang out regularly there, too.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 AM

26,530 posts, read 48,507,673 times
Ruidoso Downs Race Track is still alive, their website: RUIDOWNSRACING.COM

Ruidoso Downs Racetrack will be sold. The signed letter of intent still needs the approval of the New Mexico Racing Commission: 5 horsemen agree to purchase Ruidoso Downs

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-29-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico