Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NM license plate is your favorite?
The new black chile plate- Black is back. 5 13.89%
I still like turquoise with yellow writing. Uniquely NM. 20 55.56%
Hotdog colors- yellow on red. Can't beat a classic. Also uniquely NM. 5 13.89%
That red-on-red balloon plate. 1 2.78%
That red-white-and-blue eagle thing. 1 2.78%
Collegiate plate. 0 0%
Other themed plates. 2 5.56%
Whatever the MVD gives me. 0 0%
I stick with what's popular and never get a plate- I just leave the temporary permit on my car, months after it expired. 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 06:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times

Advertisements

I prefer the "New Mexico USA". I am not ashamed of identifying my country... It just might educate a few Americans who have no clue of our great country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM

136 posts, read 141,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I prefer the "New Mexico USA". I am not ashamed of identifying my country... It just might educate a few Americans who have no clue of our great country...
Well, I am proud of my country too.

My problem with it was, when it was introduced many years ago, it was introduced not as a statement of patriotism but as a statement of ignorance.

Oddly, I am okay with it on our Patriot license plate with "New Mexico USA", but that should be the exception.

What I mean is there are a few Americans that are so illiterate about geography that don't know New Mexico is a state. I am a geography/map geek it just feels stupid that we have to cater to those few individuals that are that ignorant.

No other state does this! If you are from the US, you SHOULD know that New Mexico is in the US.
Do you see other states do this:
Iowa USA, Idaho USA, Nebraska USA, etc.
I knew the fifty states and most of the countries when I was in grade school. So that is why it is such an issue with me.

Ok, I admit it is a pet peeve.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I saw the new black license plate for the first time last sunday.I kind of liked it but I wish it had a Zia.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:55 PM

78 posts, read 87,454 times
Saw two black plates today. I have to say, to my eyes, they are ugly, tacky looking and I don't like the black at all. I just bought a car yesterday and asked for the turquoise plates at the dealership. He said they were phasing out, so I am happy to get one before they are gone!

Old 08-16-2017, 06:00 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
NM has beautiful plates...

Who is the Native stick figure dude with "dreads" who plays a flute? I'm surprised he is not on MN plates.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
NM has beautiful plates...

Who is the Native stick figure dude with "dreads" who plays a flute? I'm surprised he is not on MN plates.
That's Kokopelli.
Kokopelli Legends & Lore

Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
That's Kokopelli.
Kokopelli Legends & Lore
Thanks.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:18 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
I think a lot of people tend to identify Chile peppers with Mexico, where they originated. Placing them on New Mexico license plates may actually exacerbate the problem of people confusing the State with the Country. I like the black license plates, but it would be nice if there were a Zia option in addition to the Chile "advertisement."

Old 09-13-2021, 01:56 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
I saw one of the black ones out here in CA at our local university. It looked very nice, but when I was growing up in the 80's, there were so many less options per state. Iowa was white writing on dark blue, NJ was yellowish writing on a light blue, your state had the ketchup and mustard plates, our state was progressing from those black ones that are being brought back to the blue ones that followed (and I thought were still a current option). We'll likely bring back those blues next.

The only NM plate I really even close to dislike is the balloon one. "Condiments" is my favorite (just personal nostalgia and simplicity). Then either black or turquoise, really depending on the car. Black looks good on a sporty compact. Turquoise would look good on an old VW van.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:07 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
The only NM plate I really even close to dislike is the balloon one.
That's too bad, as that's what is on my car. They came out the week I registered my car car here in 1999. They have mostly disappeared now, faded away. For some reason, my plate looks almost new (although I've removed more than decade of renewal tabs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico