Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 AM

688 posts, read 1,101,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
However, if you, say, aren't lucky enough to live in a place with a garage, or work or shop in a place that involves open-air parking lots (where the below crime map seems to indicate most of these thefts take place) then that's pretty bad advice- akin to telling people out of work that they should always have money.
Bad advice?

I posted this in a thread where the OP is asking for a "low crime" place to live in NM. In other words, someone who is thinking about or planning to move here and isn't already here. It is sensible advice for the OP and other people frequenting these threads to think about this before signing a lease or buying a house.

I don't think "luck" has much to do with having a safe place to park your car, at least when it comes to parking at your home. Your car will be exposed to thieves every time you drive somewhere and park - at the mall, at your place of business, etc. It is hard to gain an advantage when parking away from home; you roll the dice every time you do it here, so just be aware of it and take care when parking.

But most hours of the day people have their car parked at home, so this is advice to think about this issue in advance, to stay one step ahead of the thieves. Just because some people can't take advantage of this advice doesn't make it "bad" advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I think a garage will save you some grief -- I parked my truck outside for most of a summer while working on a project in the garage. Before long the local rabbits started lounging in the shade under the truck...how cute, I thought. There would be two or three under the truck on most days. Meanwhile, the little buggers and their rodent friends were eating the insulation off the wiring under the hood. That was not cheap to get repaired.

Crime in Albuquerque is an issue just like any city but not as bad as people say. There are some spectacular episodes of people going off the rails that get a lot of news and discussion but, in general, it is pretty safe. Just be careful who your friends are and avoid places that your common sense tells you to avoid.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
OP, can you give us a sense of what cities you have already lived in so we can make more informed comparisons?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
op, if you are still reading this, here is my take on whether and safety. ABQ will offer you decent weather, not too much snow but enough to make winter seem like winter. Las Cruces is a good location with nice winters, but warm summers and if you really don't care about the size of the city you may want to consider Alamagorto. (spelling)
Yes, NM unfortunately does have a reputation for high crime. I think Alamagorto would have the least of the three.

I think what you are looking for is what 90% of all people want: safety, nice weather and low crime.

Someone mentioned the C OF L in Las Cruces was lower than ABQ. This could be true but when we decided to relocate to NM we found that just the opposite. We found the ABQ area, overall less expensive. We were basing this on the cost of food and property. I am only saying this, based on our experience.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
OP, can you give us a sense of what cities you have already lived in so we can make more informed comparisons?
I have lived in in a big metro,3 mid-sized cities and a small town in Texas,aries63.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
op, if you are still reading this, here is my take on whether and safety. ABQ will offer you decent weather, not too much snow but enough to make winter seem like winter. Las Cruces is a good location with nice winters, but warm summers and if you really don't care about the size of the city you may want to consider Alamagorto. (spelling)
Yes, NM unfortunately does have a reputation for high crime. I think Alamagorto would have the least of the three.

I think what you are looking for is what 90% of all people want: safety, nice weather and low crime.

Someone mentioned the C OF L in Las Cruces was lower than ABQ. This could be true but when we decided to relocate to NM we found that just the opposite. We found the ABQ area, overall less expensive. We were basing this on the cost of food and property. I am only saying this, based on our experience.
Thanks nmnita.Albuquerque is still a possiblity.I like Cruces....it is similar in size to where I am living now.I also really like Alamogordo.I think Alamogordo would be a good size of a town for me.The winters where I live now is about like Cruces so the winters in the Duke City do worry me a bit.Thanks for your help,nmnita.I appreciate it.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:20 PM

104 posts, read 111,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey
Far northwest generally has lowest crime.

Take a gander at https://www.abqjournal.com/crime/ and you can see that this is a fully citywide problem, with even low-crime areas reporting thefts.

Far northwest has a lot fewer places to shop and work, which is probably part of the reason why numbers are lower there than population numbers would suggest. In other words, you can live out there and still be a victim of auto theft if you ever leave your house.
Still funkymonkey is correct, the far northwest has the lowest crime and the fewest auto thefts based on the map you linked to. You can be a victim of auto theft if you ever leave your house regardless of where you live. Pinning this on Albuquerque and NM in general is inaccurate. Hyberbole is not going to clarify the situation.

Seriously, after reading some of the comments posted to the New Mexico forum, you'd think the whole state was a crime ridden wasteland riddled with meth addicts. Sheesh.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
if you might like a smaller town you should check out Tularosa just north of Alamogordo.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 PM

39 posts, read 77,966 times
Roswell!

Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Tularosa is a nice town - a calm and pleasant town, with abundant trees for shade. And a pretty good Subway store as well. The grocery store is small and kind of pricey - you'll find yourself driving south to Alamogordo the 13 miles ta go to Wal*Mart, Lowe's or Albertson's ta grocery shop. But I would retire in Tularosa and feel good about my choice there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico