U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM

28,475 posts, read 27,255,950 times

Advertisements

Off topic for this thread, but your post reminds me of Jim Thorpe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Thorpe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 08:08 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,204,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I love Texas. I lived in Austin for a year and revere the community.
Meh. I lived there for two years (a long time ago, before any "tech"). Compared to Albq, it's a swamp. Humid. Lots of cockroaches, issues with mold. City-wise: meh.

You're a software eng and you had to move to Florida for work? You can't find a job in Austin? That seems backwards.

Quote:
So, for us NM has a strong cultural persistence that is rare for indigenous people since so many are now gone.
This is one of the saving graces of NM.

Quote:
But here in NM the culture is still alive and many children still speak the indigenous languages of their grandparents (albeit fading over time but still distinctly apparent).
Actually there are places in NM where it's going strong. Not only are the languages alive and well, but are thriving. I don't know what language is spoken in Santo Domingo (Tewa? Tiwa?) but when I've gone into the gas station there, I've heard kids speaking it with their parents. At the school at Jemez they have classes to teach their kids the language.

Quote:
In regards to energy, the pragmatic options are still viable for the area. I worked with renewable energy and see a lot of potential for thermally efficient home designs throughout the southwest. There are ways mechanical engineers, maerials science engineers, civil engineers and architects can optimize renewable energy.
I've got a long-time friend from Tech and that's what he's involved in. He did his degree in materials (back in the 90s when I waas doing my math and CS studies) and works for DOE on renewable energy. Not in NM, though. He would have preferred to stay in NM because he loves the state but had to look elsewhere for work.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM

26,461 posts, read 44,510,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
I constantly see pages where people say that New Mexico sucks and do not move there. I know crime in ABQ is quite high and Santa Fe is pretty expensive to live in but what about Las Cruces or smaller places like Taos or Tularosa. I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there. I actually love the adobe buildings (at least in pictures) and think it would be a cool place to live.
Original poster, it seems you live in Lansing, Michigan... You really need to come on out to New Mexico and visit... Who knows, you might like it here...

Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM

5,758 posts, read 4,556,227 times
Speaking as someone from the East Coast, New Mexico does not have a bad reputation on this side..

Old 07-29-2019, 02:40 PM

967 posts, read 993,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Actually there are places in NM where it's going strong. Not only are the languages alive and well, but are thriving. I don't know what language is spoken in Santo Domingo (Tewa? Tiwa?) but when I've gone into the gas station there, I've heard kids speaking it with their parents. At the school at Jemez they have classes to teach their kids the language.
Santo Domingo speaks Keresan, just like Cochiti, San Felipe, Santa Ana, Zia, Acoma, and Laguna. The language is really strong in some villages - Santo Domingo and San Felipe in particular - but having a rougher time of it elsewhere especially with younger generations. This is true for almost all Native languages in the US (even Navajo) but almost all the Keresan communities have active language-revitalization programs and there are several organizations like this that are doing their best to continue passing the language on.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:18 PM

My sister's kids were attending Jemez school a few years ago and they were being taught whatever language Jemez Pueblo speaks.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:44 AM

967 posts, read 993,716 times
Quote:
My sister's kids were attending Jemez school a few years ago and they were being taught whatever language Jemez Pueblo speaks.
Yeah, many of the pueblos have some level of language instruction as part of their school systems. Jemez also has a Head Start program that includes instruction in Towa.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:59 AM

10,124 posts, read 8,785,635 times
The state has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country. They tax SS benefits. That alone does not attract retirees.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
They tax SS benefits.
Can you explain this a bit? Is this unusual compared to other states?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM

103 posts, read 45,185 times
Quote:
Can you explain this a bit? Is this unusual compared to other states?
If it shows up on US 1040 as taxable income, it gets taxed by NM as well. Many states do the same thing. Many states don't.

If your state has no income tax, it isn't taxed. (Most of those make up for no income tax with high property and sales taxes, though.) If your state has an income tax, it may be exempted completely, or there may be a tax provision that exempts up to a certain level of total income. That's how the US tax works, but some states allow a higher exemption level while others don't tax it at all.

I don't know that any state taxes at a higher income level than federal taxes do. But I'd never say never about places like Illinois, New York and California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or