Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 PM

58 posts, read 50,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Did everybody from NM respond to your post?

I thought you made mostly good points. But don't be surprised if some people disagree, and some even take offense.

For the record, I don't think NM has much of a reputation of any sort, because a lot of people in the US don't even know it exists.
Well, it's two ppl so far, so that's like half of the state.

Actually, it's interesting bc most people I ran into in New Mexico are keenly aware of the problems in their state and are very open and honest about it. I had a few discussions with people about how to turn things around, but nobody seems to think it can be done. The biggest problem is the educational level of people in New Mexico. Unless you have a base of well-educated people, it's not going to attract industry. And if you don't have industry, you won't have jobs. Tourism is great for the state as a whole, but a tourism job is like manning the tramway lift at Sandia or running a pottery store in Santa Fe. There's only so far that's getting people. It's like if the only thing in Florida was Disneyland. That's not bad to have, but it can't support the entire state.

The other thing is -- not to get too political, but it's true -- of the population that is actually there, there's a good chunk of it which is either Native American or illegal aliens from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:38 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
Or they think that New Mexico is in...Mexico!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:48 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,932,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingthru View Post
Second of all, you can't just choose where you want to live, unless you're retired. As I mentioned, where you live is largely determined by your ability to be employed. So find employment first before considering where you want to live. That's a must.
Actually, you can. It's just very risky. I moved here out of desperation, due to health problems, without any job prospects. I wouldn't recommend doing it, but I did end up finding employment after I had already moved here. Granted, I had gotten pretty worried about my situation by the time the job offer was made--not a moment too soon.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:18 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Well, it's two ppl so far, so that's like half of the state.
How kind and convenient of you to betray your ignorant bias. You original post does contain a lot of truth, but it is obvious that you have a metropolis fetish that New Mexico does not satisfy. Oh well, our loss.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
How kind and convenient of you to betray your ignorant bias.
This is just getting pathetic now.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 AM

137 posts, read 134,235 times
Yikes, the NM threads always get interesting and snippy rather quickly on both sides of the coin. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all whether you love or hate the Land of Enchantment.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie504 View Post
Yikes, the NM threads always get interesting and snippy rather quickly on both sides of the coin. Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all whether you love or hate the Land of Enchantment.
It's not snippiness, it's some people's manner of being delusional, for lack of a better term. I'll give you an example. Once I was talking to a guy from New York and I was discussing beaches with him. And I said "I've never been to South Carolina's beaches, but I hear they're amazing." And he goes "New York has beaches and they're just as good." And I was like "uh ...no offense, but I don't think so." It's like he thinks the entire world has it wrong about New York's beaches and they just have been fooled into going to Hawaii or Florida or something. When you think "New York beaches" you probably think of washed up bodies, not pure white sand.

That's what this is turning into. Like if I say "New Mexico has many non-college educated people," it's like "you mean like every other state??" Uh ...yeah, OK. You guys are right, I forgot how people move to New Mexico specifically because it has the best education in America. I guess I'm just biased against New Mexico out of ignorance and you caught me in my lie.

That's why I said that it's like saying "if I yell at you long enough, you'll like me." OK, if New Mexicans want to talk up their state, that's great and nobody can blame them. But if you try to claim that EVERY belief that anyone has that is negative about New Mexico is wrong and that, consequently, it's the most perfect state in America and the world, then you just look ignorant and foolish. And that actually reinforces negative beliefs about New Mexico like "not only is it terrible, but all the people who live there are also pretty delusional."

If New Mexicans believe I am wrong, then how about New Mexicans explain what's wrong with their state to the rest of us?

By the way, the sad part is I actually have many positive beliefs about New Mexico (see my post explaining them) and now they're rapidly fading. Because I'm like "well, it's got a great outdoors, but if I have to put up with New Mexicans screaming incoherently about how anyone who finds fault with New Mexico is 'city folk' then I'll just go to Colorado instead."

Last edited by movingthru; 11-22-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,137 times
Quote:
The other thing is -- not to get too political, but it's true -- of the population that is actually there, there's a good chunk of it which is either Native American or illegal aliens from Mexico.
The illegal immigrant % is modest compared to surrounding states and below average for the country:

We do have a high Hispanic population. A lot of them descended from families that were here when it was still Mexico. The Native American % is high (2nd behind Alaska), but I think most people feel that the Hispanic and NA culture are an important part of what makes NM unique and interesting. The same goes for the low population density, affordability, laid back attitude, and wide open spaces. If only we could have that without the poverty and crime, but be careful what you wish for...

People generally move here because they like the way it is. They don't feel it's a problem in need of solution. If you prefer places that are rapidly developing, overpriced, and full of traffic jams, then CO and AZ have that covered.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,399,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
The illegal immigrant % is modest compared to surrounding states and below average for the country:
You are just going to confuse the troll with the facts. And will shortly be accused of "screaming" at her. Apparently there is nothing she cherishes more than her delusions about the state, while she accuses others of being delusional for disagreeing with her.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You are just going to confuse the troll with the facts. And will shortly be accused of "screaming" at her. Apparently there is nothing she cherishes more than her delusions about the state, while she accuses others of being delusional for disagreeing with her.
"New Mexico is perfect. Mostly because I live here." - aries63

True fact: there were no people in New Mexico. And then aries63 moved there and they built Albuquerque around her, so that they could worship her and celebrate how smart she was. That is why today New Mexico is flawless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico