Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

I am a relatively new (permanent) arrival but have been coming to New Mexico sporadically for over fifty years. I fell in love with the place when I was ten years old. Sometimes it takes a newcomer to express the uniqueness of the place because we tend to take it for granted....sort of the flip side of "enchantment". I have friends who are selling everything in New York State, including a thirty-foot boat for cruising on the Hudson River, to come here because the place has drawn them in. It is interesting listening to them talk about it. New Mexico has a way of revealing itself to you but you have to be open to embrace that revelation. A camera, even if only a cell phone camera, is mandatory equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:33 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there.
You'll find a substantial number of people who hate it everywhere. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

I recently came across a forum that had loads of hate for the town I live in. I was shocked at first, but reading on it made sense, and eventually became comical. If you want to focus on negatives, then there will be no problem finding them wherever you go.

Most people are happy here though, and for good reason. Most of the time my attitude is "another beautiful day in paradise".

Old 07-09-2017, 10:37 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
The summers are very hot
That isn't true of most of the state.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:08 PM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I am a relatively new (permanent) arrival but have been coming to New Mexico sporadically for over fifty years. I fell in love with the place when I was ten years old. Sometimes it takes a newcomer to express the uniqueness of the place because we tend to take it for granted....sort of the flip side of "enchantment". I have friends who are selling everything in New York State, including a thirty-foot boat for cruising on the Hudson River, to come here because the place has drawn them in. It is interesting listening to them talk about it. New Mexico has a way of revealing itself to you but you have to be open to embrace that revelation. A camera, even if only a cell phone camera, is mandatory equipment.

Sungrins, with you totally on this. And it sure pays to be armed with a camera at all times. I will never forget driving from the Texas Panhandle to Taos via Clayton and Springer one August day about 20 years ago with my then-young daughter. We drove into an incredible panorama of hyper active thunderstorms. Horses and antelope were streaming over the hills among the lightning bolts. I wish I had stopped and shot up several rolls of film, but I didn't. Talk about enchantment seasoned with humbling respect for nature. Just another magical day to embrace in New Mexico.

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 07-09-2017 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 02:17 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
I disagree with the title of this thread, I don't think NM has a bad reputation. How could it? It's beautiful and the people are special. It is the best of all of the four corner states imo. Live and let live, no "keeping up with the Jones" that I've ever seen. If someone moves there from out of state, let's hope they pick up NM habits instead of bringing other habits with them, at least to some extent. :-)

Old 07-09-2017, 03:52 PM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
LillyMae, I will do my best not to bring any obnoxious Oregon habits when I come to New Mexico. We used to be an independent, maverick state that marched to its own drummer, then the lopsided California real estate market made so many folks down south relative millionaires that they flooded Oregon with their home sale cash and their California politics and attitudes. Back about 1970 we had a governor who actually said to Californians, "Please come and visit but for heaven's sake don't stay."
It didn't work.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
If someone moves there from out of state, let's hope they pick up NM habits instead of bringing other habits with them...
Yeah...just bring your money but leave your attitude behind!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
LillyMae, I will do my best not to bring any obnoxious Oregon habits when I come to New Mexico.
I doubt you have obnoxious habits, but you know what I mean..
When one relocates, always best to learn how folks live locally and try to join in. That's part of why one moves, after all. :-)

Old 07-10-2017, 03:28 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
LillyMae, I will do my best not to bring any obnoxious Oregon habits when I come to New Mexico. We used to be an independent, maverick state that marched to its own drummer, then the lopsided California real estate market made so many folks down south relative millionaires that they flooded Oregon with their home sale cash and their California politics and attitudes. Back about 1970 we had a governor who actually said to Californians, "Please come and visit but for heaven's sake don't stay."
It didn't work.

This is my situation. I wanna get out of LA and I too have a boat load of home equity and am looking to buy in the ABQ area. I don't have any kooky Ca views, I want to get out of here because of craziness and crowds. I hope I don't get much grief from the natives when I do eventually move there.

Maybe I'll lie and not say I'm from Ca.

I've heard a little bit more negative about NM than I care to admit. I still need to check it out in person for myself. I love the whole southwest vibe and I'm sure that will all be fine.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:31 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
I still like to think of NM as living in an "under the radar" sort of state. If anything, these negative reviews from whomever could be keeping the population from blowing up to the levels being seen in the neighboring states of CO and big boy TX.
I've looked at moving several times over the past, five years I've been here, but now it's all about keeping it in-state.
Clovis-to-ABQ, Clovis-to-Roy, or some other oddball move to another portion of the state where it's nice and quiet all over.
Coming from SoCal, I've come to love the ease of vehicle registration and relatively cheap apartment and home costs.
Didn't have a car back in CA. Now that I've got one here, I look back over there and wonder how anyone could afford one with the crazy stipulations and expense involved.

Unless something crazy comes along, I honestly don't see myself leaving the state for awhile now. Even a small city like Clovis has sensitized me to urban living!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico