Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM

356 posts, read 502,436 times

Advertisements

I have loved military aircraft since I was a kid, and have generally lived in places where the only time you saw them was at air shows or on Memorial Day fly-overs. So I am just delighted to be moving to Alamogordo. Question is whether the Air Force allows civilians to be anywhere near the Holloman flight lines to soak up the action -- or are there F-22s and F-16s in the air all over the Tularosa Basin? Just want to be able to get my fill of fighters in flight.
Also hope to see missile tests at WSMR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:23 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about Holloman, but do know a few things that might be worth mentioning.

Many of the "services" - including mechanical repairs - are provided by non-military companies. In fact there was an article just the other day about the need for hundreds more aircraft mechanics. Hiring on as an employee of a company that regularly works the base would be one way of gaining access.

As far as public access through the gates to the airbase, retirees still have access to those services they are entitled to by their previous service status - such as shopping and health care and special events. There are a certain number of military personnel who live on base. Knowing someone who can authorize visitors would be another way in.

You can't live in the area of the Tularosa basin without being subjected daily to aircraft sightings. Even here in Ruidoso, almost daily overflights by "high flying" fighters is common. Noisy and usually so high that it's a test just spotting the source of the noise.

OTOH, I've had low flying fighters actually buzz my car when driving the highways in the area. They tend to fly the more underpopulated areas, and of course are more concentrated over the several military reservations in the region. During one of the Armed Forces day open house events at Holloman, I witnessed two of the A.F. Thunderbird exhibition planes collide in mid-air on takeoff back in the 1970s.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
My wife and I are pilots and still members of the EAA. However we have only been to one airshow here in New Mexico in the past 10 years. Here is one site which has info on Holloman: Holloman AFB – AirshowStuff

And of course the Holloman AFB website might have some items of interest: Holloman Air Force Base > Home

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-13-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanks fellas. I was unable to pin down an open house date on Holloman's Web site, although reading past news reports it is clear they have them from time to time. I did see a number of fly-ins for EAA members listed at various airports around New Mexico.
Joqua, that collision must have been a dreadful thing to see.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Air Shows and Air Events in New Mexico?

Starting this thread as the result of the suggestion in the "Thread closed?" thread. With its relative wealth of military bases it would seem New Mexico would have its share of air shows. But checking Holloman and Kirtland Web sites, it appears the shows and open houses are scheduled on an intermittent basis rather than annually -- guessing because of federal budget issues. Lots of private and experimental aircraft activities pop up -- and of course the balloonists gather.
If you have fond memories of air shows past or know anything about shows scheduled for the future, I'd love hear.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
If you have fond memories of air shows past or know anything about shows scheduled for the future, I'd love hear.
I risk "going off topic" but what I know of air shows is regional and includes the El Paso area.

I don't know why annual events on military air bases are now seldom held, but suspect that security issues since the rise of "terrorism" in the USA has as much to do with it as budget issues. The most recently canceled annual event in the region, of which I'm aware, was held at a privately operated airfield at the Santa Teresa, NM commercial airfield - "Amigo Air Show" - which did draw in notable exhibition teams such as the Blue Angels.

Quote:
The last event was in 2014 when it was moved to the Dona Ana County International Jetport in Santa Teresa, New Mexico. In 2015 the entire 2-day event was scrapped without reason. Today, their website is a skeleton and all of their phone numbers are disconnected.

For decades the event was known as one of El Paso’s most popular, attracting tens of thousands of fans. It hosted famous performers such as the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds and U.S. Navy Blue Angels, among dozens of other popular aerial acts.

The show is usually held around October and November. Calls and emails to the organization have gone unresponded for weeks.
As mentioned in a PM to the OP, Alamogordo still holds an annual "Armed Forces Day" event at the public park there, which honors all branches of the military, not just the Airforces.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:05 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
What I was going to post in the other thread was about air shows near me. The now closed Glenview Naval Air Station used to be a way point and staging area for the Chicago Air and Water Show. Was at a stoplight once and 200, right above my head comes a Stealth bomber heading in. Whoa!

I miss that place and the rare treat and especially the sound of seeing 6 Hueys in formation.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Land of Enchantment Fly In (LOEFI) - EAA 179 | Albuquerque, New Mexico

Land of Enchantment Fly In (LOEFI)
Saturday, August 26, 2017 – Double Eagle II Airport

What’s a Fly-In?

Similar to a car show, aircraft fly in to be judged, while spectators get to see a gathering of amateur built, antique and
other unique aircraft — and meet their pilots, builders, and restorers! Expected highlights include the Chile Flight
(formation flying team), helicopters, gliders, ultralights, and static displays of remote gliders, ultralights,
and static displays of remote controlled aircraft.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-14-2017 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Since this new thread contains "air events" in the title, this "event" got some publicity earlier this summer.

Spaceport America Cup competition

Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM

The Spaceport! I forgot all about it. I would sure love to watch this launch:

ARCA to perform first flight of aerospike engine at Spaceport America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico