Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 AM

3 posts, read 7,574 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have seen questions on new construction of a new home in Ruidoso, New Mexico, however they date back to 2012. Can anyone give me the 2017 cost per square footage of a new mountain home to build in Ruidoso? We have 2 acres to build on with a view of Sierra Blanca. Also, any good architects and contractors to recommend? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
The home itself you can probably get some decent cost per foot ideas. The problems come in with the variables of the home site itself. How far are you from power and phone? What is the area like for wells? I have read of out of this world costs just to get down to reliable water. Is there more than some rutted, washed out 2 track that leads to the home site?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
The problems come in with the variables of the home site itself.
The first question would be: How accessible is the site? Is it a steep hillside lot or relatively flat on an existing street or road.

Next: In the county or in the village (code compliance questions).

And of course: Is there ready access to the usual utilities (water, sewer, elect, gas, internet)?

Internet sources show that average "Lincoln Co." costs for new construction at $141 per sq ft. I assume that is for an ideal location with no unusual site preparation needed and standard (few custom) features.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
well i have a friend and his house is 3k foot house in the ruidoso area and it was about 600 grand.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 AM
STH

12 posts, read 22,256 times
My very first post..

I was told by a couple of carpenters; they charged 180 bucks a square foot back in 2013. Screw that, I put my lots up for sale and bought a 2800 sq-foot house with fantastic Sierra Blanca views on the west side of Ruidoso near the upper canyon, for a lot less.

Was told the 180 buck was for a plain/nice house, 220 would get you a much higher end house. At the same time I had a house being refurbished in Louisiana, my carpenter could not believe the 180 bucks a sq-foot the New Mexico boys wanted to charge..

Old 09-12-2017, 03:36 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STH View Post
My very first post..

I was told by a couple of carpenters; they charged 180 bucks a square foot back in 2013. Screw that, I put my lots up for sale and bought a 2800 sq-foot house with fantastic Sierra Blanca views on the west side of Ruidoso near the upper canyon, for a lot less.

Was told the 180 buck was for a plain/nice house, 220 would get you a much higher end house. At the same time I had a house being refurbished in Louisiana, my carpenter could not believe the 180 bucks a sq-foot the New Mexico boys wanted to charge..
Because that is incorrect. 'Carpenters' really have no idea what it costs to build a home. A 'Contractor' does. I am a partner in a GB98 Licensed , 46 year old construction company. I've been involved in construction for all of my life. Anyone that throws out a 'solid' number isn't worth the time to even think about doing business with them. The real answer is; It can cost anywhere from roughly $90 sq ft to Several Hundred sq ft. It all depends, on so many factors. We've built homes in all ranges. Everything from a $60k home to a $2MM home. When you take away the finishes, all homes cost about the same per sq ft to build. Finishes is what drives the cost up.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:23 PM
STH

Well excuse me for swapping the terms carpenter for contractor. Two CONTACTORS told me 180.00 dollars a sq-foot. Is that better now.......

Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STH View Post
Well excuse me for swapping the terms carpenter for contractor. Two CONTACTORS told me 180.00 dollars a sq-foot. Is that better now.......
Any contractor that gives you a hard number. Especially such an inflated number is not a good contractor.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Any contractor that gives you a hard number. Especially such an inflated number is not a good contractor.
This web page gives a current 2017 cost analysis for construction of a specific floor plan in a rural spot near Socorro, NM. It quite detailed in its descriptions of what would go into the house.

https://www.byoh.com/costtobuildinnewmexico.htm

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 PM
STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post

Agreed, that's why I bought an exsisting home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico