Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:02 AM

356 posts, read 503,139 times

Advertisements

Hoping to find a butcher near Alamogordo, or if necessary, Las Cruces, that can sell me a a pork shoulder roast with skin on. Here's the reason:

Lechon Asado con Mojo (Cuban Grilled Pork with Mojo) - FineCooking

This is essentially the Three Guys from Miami Cuban Christmas pig roast in a much-reduced and more manageable scale. The garlic and citrus mojo is a thing of great beauty and makes pork incredibly delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:44 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
I live in Houston, so I can't answer that question. However, I love the dish you mention so I want to comment anyway.

There are some Cuban restaurants here who serve lechon asado or pernil, which I guess is the same thing. One place serves it with a very delicious garlic and oil sauce on the side. Also with yuca (cassava), fried plantains, black beans, and rice. Great combo. I know that the skin can be delicious, but I've not seen it served here skin-on. I don't know why that is, especially since chicharrones are popular with so many people in the US now.

I have never tried to prepare this at home. So, that brings me to another factoid and a question. Visiting Spain, I've eaten a lot of cured ham and also a fair amount of roasted pork. In one restaurant, the pork came skin-on, but the skin also had hairs sticking out of it. That is kinda off-putting for a lot of people, including me. So, the question is: pigs are mammals, but is it common for butchers to have to shave the skin to make it palatable for consumers? Or, is it a matter of the breed of pig or how old it is? In any case, if I were having a butcher prepare this cut for me, I'd ask him/her about it in advance.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 AM

Madrone, I have always assumed hogs destined to be prepared skin-on had the skin scalded and hair scraped off at butchering time. At least that is the old way of doing it. I have not had cassava, but love fried plantain and "moros y cristianos" - -Cuban black beans and rice.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
A couple of quick google searches tell me you will have to go to Las Cruces for a full service butcher.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:11 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
I would be surprised if the guys at Lowe's in Alamo couldn't come up with something. That's my favorite meat counter in the whole area.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:23 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
My eye was caught by the title of this thread. Fortuitously for me, this thread was on the top of this forum, so I could see it as I scrolled down the C-D master forum page!!

I would think that any large grocery store would have a meat department that could order you a pork shoulder roast with the skin on. In both MA and NH, it's a pretty common offering at all the supermarkets.

Pork shoulder is one of my favorite cuts from a pig. Pork chops from the shoulder are very tender and tasty. Otherwise, I avoid buying pork tenderloin. It's just too lean a cut for me and just like chicken breast, it's all too easily to overcook and be dry and tough.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Thanks, gang. I will ask the butchers at Lowe's if they can rustle me up a skin-on shoulder. If they can't it's not the end of the world. It's just that the skin is so darned good when smoked and roasted to a nice crunch.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
I, too, ran it through the Gargler and found this site:

Butcher Shops in or near Alamogordo, New Mexico NM

Just found it funny that there is more or less a butcher shop app online.

Was going to suggest to look for carnicerias, too.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Actually, the butcher at Albertson's said they could get me a bone-in pork picnic roast with skin on in a few days. I see some wonderful Cubano sammiches in my near future!

Old 10-08-2017, 06:33 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
Thanks for the recipe ideas in above link, OB.

I'm gonna try it myself with some modifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico