Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well OP....i kind of like Hobbs but it doesnt have the best reputation.Most people i know dont seem to like Hobs.
Okay, why do you like it, and why do others not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
The Hobbs economy is extremely dependent on oil extraction, so it is either boom or bust depending on the markets. And the air quality suffers, you can smell all that oil driving through town.

Any town with enough money can have a symphony, they just import their musicians. The one in Hobbs is probably made up mostly of Lubbock and Midland-Odessa musicians. Musicians in Albuquerque make up the majority of the symphonies from Roswell to Santa Fe and Durango. The Santa Fe Symphony rehearses in Albuquerque where most of its musicians reside. The San Juan Symphony (Farmington and Durango) buses musicians in from Albuquerque and reserves blocks of rooms for them at local motels.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:27 AM

>> The Hobbs economy is extremely dependent on oil extraction, so it is either boom or bust depending on the markets. And the air quality suffers, you can smell all that oil driving through town.

Thanks for telling me about the oil smell. Sounds carcinogenic.

>> Any town with enough money can have a symphony, they just import their musicians. The one in Hobbs is probably made up mostly of Lubbock and Midland-Odessa musicians. Musicians in Albuquerque make up the majority of the symphonies from Roswell to Santa Fe and Durango. The Santa Fe Symphony rehearses in Albuquerque where most of its musicians reside. The San Juan Symphony (Farmington and Durango) buses musicians in from Albuquerque and reserves blocks of rooms for them at local motels.

Great information. Are you a musician?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Okay, why do you like it, and why do others not?
lots of gangs,shootings,stabbings, and crime and stuff like that.Hobbs is okay but I like other places in New Mexico better.There is the smell of money in the air but im used to it

Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Are you a musician?
I have a lot of musician friends. Even the El Paso Symphony gets some commuting musicians from Albuquerque. Many people in NM don't realize that Albuquerque supplies many kinds of talent to locations all over the state and beyond. Musicians are mostly "hungry" and willing to commute long distances for gigs. As the largest population center in NM, musicians can find more work in Albuquerque (including teaching private students) than in other locations.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have a lot of musician friends. Even the El Paso Symphony gets some commuting musicians from Albuquerque. Many people in NM don't realize that Albuquerque supplies many kinds of talent to locations all over the state and beyond. Musicians are mostly "hungry" and willing to commute long distances for gigs. As the largest population center in NM, musicians can find more work in Albuquerque (including teaching private students) than in other locations.
Good to know. Thank you.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Here are some of the larger threads with "Hobbs" in the title. Some may be old...:

Relocating to Hobbs
Hobbs or Clovis
Over 2,500 jobs in boomtown Hobbs
looking to move to carlsbad or hobbs area.
Going to Hobbs Some Wknd Next Month...

Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Yes, thank you for all the information. Doesn't look good, at all.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 8,164 times
I just moved to Hobbs and would like to know how to make some friends. What do people, who don't have kids or don't hang out in the local bars do? It seems everyone either goes to their kids games or is in the drinking scene. I don't do either since I don't have kids and I don't drink. I am kind of the nerdy type. It also seems if you did not grow up here, it is hard to fit in and be accepted.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df202 View Post
I just moved to Hobbs and would like to know how to make some friends. What do people, who don't have kids or don't hang out in the local bars do? It seems everyone either goes to their kids games or is in the drinking scene. I don't do either since I don't have kids and I don't drink. I am kind of the nerdy type. It also seems if you did not grow up here, it is hard to fit in and be accepted.
My guess would be to start with just one friend, someone you can talk to, whom you like, and who likes you. Pretty sure there are at least a few nerdy types in Hobbs. What interests do you have that make you nerdy?

Bars are not my thing, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico