Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 AM

356 posts, read 503,296 times

Advertisements

Poncho, Joqua I am indebted for the advice. The windows on my house are a mess. I'll try the Invisible Glass today.
Elko, are you buying your Yaris from a dealer in Tacoma? We lived in the suburb of Fircrest from 1961-1968. Was up that way a couple of years ago, and boy has it changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:17 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Elko, are you buying your Yaris from a dealer in Tacoma? We lived in the suburb of Fircrest from 1961-1968. Was up that way a couple of years ago, and boy has it changed!

I'd like ta buy it but my wife is opposed to the idea, so I don't know. Unhappy wife, unhappy life, eh? But, in our family/religion belief system, I am the head of the family unit. So, that means all financial decisions are my responsibility. I'd like the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA because it gets 31 mpg in the city and 39 mpg on the highway. Our 2011 Kia Soul gets 25 mpg in the city and 31 mpg on the highway. Not bad, but the Soul now has 94,115 miles on it and is starting to show some physical signs of age as well as the diminishing returns on gas mileage.

Long story short, if I wanted to go rogue and just slip into the darkness one night here in Manson on beautiful Lake Chelan, WA, I could do that. Drive the 200 miles west by southwest to Tacoma, and get a few hours of sleep in the Soul before trading her in. It's not really right, but she just gets so upset about my love of cars. I'm absolutely head-over-heels for the 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and you can't go wrong with that price. $14,634? Come on, that's insane! I'll let ya know what happens, OK?

The Toyota Yaris iA shown above is from another dealer's stock, but it does show the Chromium shade that I love. Life is too short to get too #$%A^-retentive about money is the way I feel. I work for our money, I'm the only driver in our family of 2 people, 2 dogs and 2 cats, and I want a change of cars. I really resent having to battle it out like this. I could go on but, it's really pretty boring to read about people's money quibbles online. I'll make the decision when I think the time is right and I'll trade in. There's a decent chance I won't make a deal at all and we'll just keep the Soul. We're paying on it for 3 more years, though, and we owe more than it's worth. Actually, trading in would eventually bring us right-side up, because this car holds it's value very, very well. Eventually the balance sheet would even up.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:57 PM

Amazing how much nicer the iA model is vs. the standard Yaris. They look like totally different vehicles.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:24 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I found a wand that screws onto my garden hose. It has a soap dispenser and a filter to take the calcium out of the water. I got it at Harbor Freight for 15.00.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:17 PM

Amazing how much nicer the iA model is vs. the standard Yaris. They look like totally different vehicles.

Oregon Bill - it is really nice. You know what the engine and transmission are? Mazda. Yep - it's the Mazda 2 sedan that, at the last minute, Mazda discontinued sale of in the U.S. The Mazda CX-3 is the hatchback version of the Mazda 2...and this Toyota Yaris iA is the sedan version of the Mazda 2. The 6-speed shifter is Mazda-smooth and the engine is the Mazda 1.5L 4-cyl Mazda SkyActiv. This is Toyota/Mazda nerd stuff that most people don't know about or really care about - I know about it because I care enough about this car to actually buy it.

I am obsessed with getting this car - that doesn't bode well for us getting along. She's trying to ready us for retirement by not spending any money. Nice idea, actually, but I'm working another 4 years. I can easily afford the payment of this car for a 60-month note, even with the rolling of negative equity from the Kia Soul onto the purchase contract. I've done this before, only, this time I would pay every 2 weeks half of my monthly payment amount to bring the principal balance down faster. You can trim 6 payments off of your 60 payment note by doing that - it's pretty common knowledge these days. I would implement that strategy like a hawk and pay it down sooner than 60 months because I'm retiring in only 4 years and we really don't want a car payment during our retirement.

Stay tuned - I'm about 80% sure I'm gonna spring for this car. It's a 6-speed stick and the young ones don't know how to drive sticks these days - opens up more of a market for an old fart like myself, eh?

I really like those aluminum alloys, too. I think that cleaning them would be a joy - I'd get some polish for them and keep them clean...as is possible. We are living on the dry side of Washington, but, it does rain and snow somewhat over here.

Last edited by elkotronics; 11-30-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 02:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Poncho, Joqua I am indebted for the advice. The windows on my house are a mess. I'll try the Invisible Glass today.
I always use Invisible Glass on my car windows, never tried it on the house windows. I just use a very mild detergent solution on the house windows, rinse well and squeegee. It must work as the birds keep flying into the windows.

I generally wash our cars in the a.m. before the wind kicks the dust up. I keep them wet and pull them into the garage to dry. It seems to help keep them from spotting.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:30 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I always use Invisible Glass on my car windows, never tried it on the house windows. I just use a very mild detergent solution on the house windows, rinse well and squeegee. It must work as the birds keep flying into the windows.

I generally wash our cars in the a.m. before the wind kicks the dust up. I keep them wet and pull them into the garage to dry. It seems to help keep them from spotting.
You're air drying? That's part of the spotting problem. Hand dry after washing the car in sections.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
This is Toyota/Mazda nerd stuff that most people don't know about or really care about - I know about it because I care enough about this car to actually buy it.
I once purchased a really nice low-mileage Honda Passport from a Honda dealer who had taken it on trade. Imagine my shock when I raised the hood and found everything under their labeled Isuzu! Turns out that instead of manufacturing their own SUV at the time, Honda contracted with Isuzu for their Rodeo model. Had it not been such a good buy I would have backed out of the deal, and came to regret that I hadn't when the Passport/Rodeo failed the low maintenance test.

My car at the moment is a Toyota Venza - ever heard of it? I hadn't at the time I was looking to trade during the 2015 model year. And wouldn't you know, about a month after purchasing it, Toyota announced that it was their final year to make the Venza. So I console myself by calling it a "collector's item." Whereas the Isuzu-come-Honda had a poor repair record, the Venza rates at the top of the Toyota reliability charts, right up there with the Highlander. In fact, I traded in a 13 yr old Highlander on it.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:22 PM

Yes I have heard of the Toyota Venza. It sounds like it's going to do well for you maintenance and performance-wise. These carmakers can really keep us hoppin', eh? I would go deal tomorrow for that Yaris iA but feel like the earthquake in the home it would create would be too upsetting. So I won't...for now.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Sydney, you have hard water in Santa Monica? Nearest H.F. here is Las Cruces, but we'll have one in Alamogordo next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico