Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:37 PM

356 posts, read 503,006 times

Advertisements

I dunno about other New Mexico towns, but hardscrabble Alamogordo has to have more "dollar" type stores (and thrift stores) per capita than any place I have been. We have Dollar Discount, Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree about every 10 blocks. They never seem to have but one or two cars in the parking lot -- and they just threw up another new one on North Scenic near Lowe's. I don't understand what retail model makes such densities make sense. Any have inside information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 06:09 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
I dunno about other New Mexico towns...
Ruidoso is smaller than Alamogordo and has five. Two each Dollar General and Family Dollar and a Dollar Tree. I've never even been in one of these stores so can't really guess why they're duplicated, much less why there is so much competition.

In addition, there are a number of "thrift shops" in town that sell recycled goods.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times
When we lived in Alamogordo we went to thrift stores and to dollar stores and to Wal*Mart. I hear Alamo has a Neighborhood Wal*Mart now, too! Wow! We'll get the total Wal*Mart experience, sounds like. It appears better that I'll be moving back to Alamogordo - me first, to start working there, my wife and our 4 animals later, after I get us established. We have some undoing work to do with our current landlord, which may play hardball. The real upside to this is I have what may be the best job recruiter in the nation - I kid you not - he's the best one I've ever seen. He has 3 plans to make this happen, and, when talking to him, I get the warm and fuzzies, because I know that we're going to make one of them work.

But this thread is about thrift stores. I know that King's Thrift Store on White Sands has some good deals - remember, with thrift stores you're looking for things that are treasures for you. They were given up on by their owners - for whatever reason. I found a bookbag there that I'm still using for our religious meetings weekly. I'm totally fine with having a truckload of thrift stores. And with having a bunch of Dollar stores, too. We always went to the Dollar General on Indian Wells Avenue. My job is at the Sleep Lab of Gerald Champion Regional Medical Center on Indian Wells Avenue. Our rental home was on Memory Lane, off of Florida Avenue.

I've been looking at houses - one of my jobs while off work after just getting started working again down there will be to find us a house. I won't be able to resist calling the listing agent (or another realtor) and going to see the houses in person. I have never seen a town like Alamogordo that has such great values on real estate. We're going to pick our retirement home there. I will be able to make it up to my wife for pulling her out of Alamogordo in February of 2015! Whoo-hoo! We have to strike a deal with our landlord, or, just pay off the remaining rental amount. But now that there's a will, there will be a way. And this job recruiter will help us do just that. After all, he doesn't get paid unless I hire on. He's already made it very clear to me on the phone that he knows how to negotiate - never seen any job recruiter as capable as this guy. His office is in Ohio - all of his workmates are there, but he struck a deal with them to move to Florida and work out of his house. This guy can negotiate, people. What a find!

I'm coming home!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:02 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,407,431 times
It is a national trend, especially in low-income areas. Dollar General is opening thousands of new stores nation-wide.

"There are more people in trouble; the middle class is working fewer hours for less pay. There is a real future in a strategy that undersells the competition. That's why I'm optimistic about this segment. I think the distress in the middle class will continue," Davidowitz says. "What's winning is offering the best deal. If it's cheap and convenient, growth is almost assured."

As Some Retailers Stumble, Dollar Stores Continue to Show Strength | National Real Estate Investor

Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 AM

It is a national trend, especially in low-income areas. Dollar General is opening thousands of new stores nation-wide.

"There are more people in trouble; the middle class is working fewer hours for less pay. There is a real future in a strategy that undersells the competition. That's why I'm optimistic about this segment. I think the distress in the middle class will continue," Davidowitz says. "What's winning is offering the best deal. If it's cheap and convenient, growth is almost assured."

As Some Retailers Stumble, Dollar Stores Continue to Show Strength | National Real Estate Investor

The above is a sure thing. All you have ta do is take a financial look around, eh? I like Dollar Stores, they offer a lot for your money. But they're only so helpful to you, but, then again, you can take your buying dollar somewhere else for what you need if they don't offer what you're looking for. Wal*Mart is always just around the corner.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:19 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,229,993 times
The other thing is it's kind of like a mini Wal-Mart, but without dealing with Wal-Mart's issues with employee relations and not having a 200-yd hike to just get a quart of motor oil or some last-minute school supplies.
Where they're really taking off is in really small remote New Mexico towns, the Mountainaires and Ramahs and Magdalenas of the state where there's nowhere else to shop. No longer do you have to drive an hour or more one-way to a bigger town just to get underwear or a can of soup. They found their niche for sure. They've bailed me out many a time and, when living in tiny places with no other shopping options other than a gas station, were a godsend.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:42 AM

The other thing is it's kind of like a mini Wal-Mart, but without dealing with Wal-Mart's issues with employee relations and not having a 200-yd hike to just get a quart of motor oil or some last-minute school supplies.
Where they're really taking off is in really small remote New Mexico towns, the Mountainaires and Ramahs and Magdalenas of the state where there's nowhere else to shop. No longer do you have to drive an hour or more one-way to a bigger town just to get underwear or a can of soup. They found their niche for sure. They've bailed me out many a time and, when living in tiny places with no other shopping options other than a gas station, were a godsend.

Great point, kpl1228!

Old 12-22-2017, 04:53 PM

356 posts, read 503,006 times
Elko, the Neighborhood Walmart is near the top end of Indian Wells and will be handy to you. I am in Granada Hills so it is less than a half mile. I get my gas there.
I guess I should stick my mug in the door of one of these dollar stores one o' these days just to see what the attraction is. Or maybe I will let it remain a mystery. I went into a Big Lots once and needed a stiff drink when I got out ...

Old 12-26-2017, 07:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Default Dollar open on Xmas day!

On Xmas day, when even Walmart is closed the one day of the year when it is, the Dollar Store abutting the closed Albertson's here in Ruidoso was open and doing business.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:55 AM

On Xmas day, when even Walmart is closed the one day of the year when it is, the Dollar Store abutting the closed Albertson's here in Ruidoso was open and doing business.

Coolio topped off with an Iglasius, joqua!

Elko, the Neighborhood Walmart is near the top end of Indian Wells and will be handy to you. I am in Granada Hills so it is less than a half mile. I get my gas there.
I guess I should stick my mug in the door of one of these dollar stores one o' these days just to see what the attraction is. Or maybe I will let it remain a mystery. I went into a Big Lots once and needed a stiff drink when I got out ...

Great point, Oregon Bill, and we have located a few houses we like and can afford right near the Sleep Center and the Neighborhood Wal*Mart. What a plus ta have the Wal*Mart Neighborhood Market in Alamogordo - we shop the Chelan Wal*Mart and always shop at Wal*Mart wherever we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico