U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2006, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,791 times
Question lesbians in farmington?

i just moved to farmington. i am wondering if there is a gay bar here? any place to go meet, drink coffe, anything???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 11:17 PM

477 posts, read 1,563,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry39 View Post
i just moved to farmington. i am wondering if there is a gay bar here? any place to go meet, drink coffe, anything???

I moved to Farmington from Albuquerque recently but I have lived in the area before for a number of years. I know there are many lesbians in Durango, Colorado. That is the gay mecca for the Four Corners. Several business there are owned by lesbians. I wish I knew which ones but I dont. You might go over there sometime and see. It wont be long before you run into some there. HTH.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times
Default Lesbians in Farmington

Hey

I noticed this post is a bit old, I'm moving to Farmington for a job from CA and while I don't expect Farmington to be a "Gay Mecca" of any kind I'm a very out lesbian and I would love some inside scoops about living in the town as a gay person.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,028,696 times
Hi!

You are brave, Farmington is the opposite of a gay mecca as far as I can tell. Unless you're used to a conservative small town in California it may come as a shock. It is multicultural (with sizable Native American and Hispanic populations) but the Anglo majority tends to be very conservative.

I was at a church conference there as a representative of a gay organization several years ago (long story), going up there from Albuquerque. The attendees were from all over the state, nobody was rude to me, they were polite if they approached at all. Some people assumed I was part of an ex-gay ministry and were kind of taken aback when I explained my group was not! It wasn't a true representation of Farmington though, so maybe my impression isn't that valid.

Recently a documentary came out called Two Spirits, about a transgender Native American teenager who was murdered in nearby Cortez, Colo. It happened in 2001, but it can give you a flavor of what the area is like if you can find it to rent it. The murderer was from Farmington. But I know this can and does happen anywhere.

I wish you good luck! It will be an adventure for you if nothing else.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:37 PM

48,391 posts, read 39,397,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzine View Post
Hey

I noticed this post is a bit old, I'm moving to Farmington for a job from CA and while I don't expect Farmington to be a "Gay Mecca" of any kind I'm a very out lesbian and I would love some inside scoops about living in the town as a gay person.
yes, the post is years old, you might get a better feeling if you start a new one, but I will also add, the chances of your finding a comfortable gay community in Farmington is about 1000 to 1.

Nita

Old 08-09-2011, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
I lived in farmington all my life and being a native it's hard to be out. Was lucky to get out by joining the Army. Farmington is the worse place for gay people. Some are so obvious, but they rather say in the closet. I'm still here because of my job. I do plan on moving just to be around people like me. The sad thing is the only way to get in the gay kind of community is to leave farmington. Durango is hard to tell.. do see alot of butch types(not my type). Femme's well if eye contact counts..thats the place..lol
Anyway..if you like to shoot some pool look me up :'p kind of hard to do here also.. every since they ban smoking. All the damn bars closed.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
So, in 2012, has Farmington taken a new turn? I visited as a prelude to living there and really liked the atmosphere. There seemed to be a liberal religious community as well as progressive medical options - acupuncture, herbs, holistic options. Is this real or did I just find what I was looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico