Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
what about the people who are not illegals but recieve government assistance,who have and claim 3 kids but only takes care of 2,who get $400 a month in food stamps,who get helped out with half their rent and make 8-9 dollars an hour then they have enough money left over from their paychecks cause hardly no taxes are takin' out plus they get those fat refund checks in every year and drive nice cars on expensive rims,52" flat screen tv,loads of dvd's,all sorts of game consoles,and stuff that I cant afford to buy.

They know how to work our system and eat it up just as much as the next person.
PLUS, they send money home to Mexico!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
While undocumented workers do fill a lot of bottom wage tier jobs, they also fill fairly good paying jobs performed under harsh conditions.

Golden State Fencing, a company building sections of Federal border barriers east of San Diego, was busted earlier this year for using illegal labor. Though the company paid entry level worker about $3,000/month, they claim they were unable to find sufficient numbers of legal laborers willing to dig holes, pour concrete and weld steel fencing out in the desert sticks.

During preliminary hearings, the Army Corps of Engineers filed a brief defending Golden State, stating the company was compelled to use illegals to meet contractual deadlines.

This ironic situation was just too predictable....
Why don't they use prisoners for this work. Let us get some repayment for their crimes!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:49 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
PLUS, they send money home to Mexico!
Where they spend it on stuff at WalMart...and two dollar a gallon gasoline.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:01 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I read a case whereby a taxpayer filed his tax return. The IRS sent him a letter telling him he owed more. He could not figure out where they got their numbers. Somebody else used his SSN, earned about $30k, and had minimal federal withholdings. The taxpayer was a high wage guy, so the marginal rate on the extra $30K was taxed at a high rate, resulting in a liability. He disputed the earnings, and that is when he discovered the identity fraud. He spent thousands of his own clearing his name, his SSA file, etc. Despite having the employers name, the employees name, etc., the govt. refused to prosecute, as they did not have the resources.

End rant!
I hate to disagree with you but I'm not an idiot. Something stinks when the Social Security Administration doesn't have time to enforce their own regulations. I smell money changing hands... Illegal money.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Why don't they use prisoners for this work. Let us get some repayment for their crimes!
Just a guess, but it might be because prison authorities don't trust many prisoners to use metal working tools within walking distance of the Mexican Border....

Old 06-07-2008, 10:16 PM

203 posts, read 714,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
I read that many farm workers do not have to be illegal - it is the farmers who simply do not want to hassle with the paperwork, etc that hire them anyway.
Regardless of the agricultural employers' motivation for hiring illegals, very few American citizens and legal residents have any need and no desire to seek farm work that pays less than $5.00/hr. Again, these businesses are legally exempted from paying workers minimum wage under federal regulations, they can legally pay, say, $2/hr, and frequently do.

We choose to exempt the agriculture industry from paying minimum wage in order to keep food prices down, among other reasons. The most effective method of reducing the dependence on illegal workers in this sector would be to eliminate the wage exemptions, but grocery and fast food prices would probably skyrocket, processors would increase use of foreign foodstuffs, etc., etc.

Please note, my posts on this issue are neither "pro" nor "con"- they only state a few of the political factors and some of our economic dependencies. Increased enforcement of immigration and labor laws does not alter our basic "addiction" to low-wage labor in certain industries.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:59 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
"I read a case whereby a taxpayer filed his tax return. The IRS sent him a letter telling him he owed more. He could not figure out where they got their numbers. Somebody else used his SSN, earned about $30k, and had minimal federal withholdings. The taxpayer was a high wage guy, so the marginal rate on the extra $30K was taxed at a high rate, resulting in a liability. He disputed the earnings, and that is when he discovered the identity fraud. He spent thousands of his own clearing his name, his SSA file, etc. Despite having the employers name, the employees name, etc., the govt. refused to prosecute, as they did not have the resources. "

End rant![/quote]

Let's see...you read a case. Where, on the internet? (then it must be true ) Who's case? Can't be a secret, can it?
I think you're just repeating an oft told and grossly exaggerated tale...no?
The illegal immigrant issue is full of these apocryphal stories..that someones cousin heard about, that was on TV but I can't remember when, yadda, yadda. This one smells like old mackerel to me. (or, "he woke up and both the beautiful girl and his kidney were gone")
There are lots of reasons why immigration should be controlled, regulated and permitted, but the fact is the economy of the USA is pretty dependent on low wage immigrant labor, legal or not, just like it's become dependent on low cost Chinese manufactured goods.
Despite what Minutemen types profess, Americans won't take those low wage, hard work, seasonal jobs (Or pay more for lettuce and strawberries)..... if they would, they'd be DOING them. The " I'd pick lettuce if I needed a job" declarations are normally followed by "IF they paid a decent wage and benefits". (maybe provide filet mignon for lunch too )
Can't have it both ways, America!

Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,316 times
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02830t.pdf

When I get to work Tuesday I'll search the database and post the actual case of the taxpayer in question, along with the citation.

Identity theft by illegals is a HUGE problem.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:39 PM

U.S. Uncovers Large-Scale Identity Theft Scheme Used By Illegal Aliens to Gain Employment at Nationwide Meat Processor (http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/061213dc.htm - broken link)

Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 PM

Hidden cost of illegal immigration: ID theft - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com (http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/03/hidden_cost_of_.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico