Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM

186 posts, read 640,042 times

Advertisements

I believe the art teacher at the school I am at is staying (though it may change). I think he's staying another year and then moving back to southern New Mexico (where he's from and his wife still lives). Last year, the art teacher at the high school was leaving, yet she came back. I'm not sure if she is coming back or not for the next school year . However, the 30th is the last day of school so I'm sure I'll hear something. I'll let you know what I find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:35 PM

70 posts, read 214,161 times
Smile bacich

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
I believe the art teacher at the school I am at is staying (though it may change). I think he's staying another year and then moving back to southern New Mexico (where he's from and his wife still lives). Last year, the art teacher at the high school was leaving, yet she came back. I'm not sure if she is coming back or not for the next school year . However, the 30th is the last day of school so I'm sure I'll hear something. I'll let you know what I find out.
Dear loboABQ,
Thank you again. I appreciate your reply. My husband and I can't move to New Mexico without a position for me. He is a photographer and taught me. I come with my own darkroom to the school that gets me. I am also very good at ceramics, wheel and hand-building, sculpture, casting, weaving, Art History, Photography, and computer.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Prepare a really good illustrated resume and shot gun it out to all the schools in the area.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Default bacich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Prepare a really good illustrated resume and shot gun it out to all the schools in the area.
Thanks, I just heard from the Albuquerque school district to come for an interview for a position in photography.
How are cabs in Albuquerque? I just booked Old Town Econo Lodge and I have to travel 10 miles to the school.

Last edited by bacich; 05-19-2008 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM

186 posts, read 640,042 times
Cabs...they are far and few betweeen. Never have used one (since I have a car), but I've heard they are fairly expensive. Before teaching, I worked at a hotel near the Airport. We'd constantly get guests a cabride if our shuttle was making another run. The cab (we used Yellow Cab) was pretty efficient and was usually at our hotel in no more than 5-10 minutes tops.

Sorry, couldn't help you much with the cab rates. I'm sure if you really wanted, you could call a few in ABQ and ask what they charge per mile, etc?

Also, you may want to try Rapid Ride and/or the city's main bus system. I'm sure it is cheaper. And with the new bus line, I'm assuming it's pretty nice. Where is the interview at? Is it at APS headquarters (Louisiana and I40) or at a particular school or UNM?

If it's at APS headquarters or UNM, Rapid Ride will take you to both and you would not have to change buses (ease your confusion)

Hope that helps. I'm going to the APS job fair this Friday at UNM. Gonna try and get off the reservation and back to ABQ.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
Cabs...they are far and few betweeen. Never have used one (since I have a car), but I've heard they are fairly expensive. Before teaching, I worked at a hotel near the Airport. We'd constantly get guests a cabride if our shuttle was making another run. The cab (we used Yellow Cab) was pretty efficient and was usually at our hotel in no more than 5-10 minutes tops.

Sorry, couldn't help you much with the cab rates. I'm sure if you really wanted, you could call a few in ABQ and ask what they charge per mile, etc?

Also, you may want to try Rapid Ride and/or the city's main bus system. I'm sure it is cheaper. And with the new bus line, I'm assuming it's pretty nice. Where is the interview at? Is it at APS headquarters (Louisiana and I40) or at a particular school or UNM?

If it's at APS headquarters or UNM, Rapid Ride will take you to both and you would not have to change buses (ease your confusion)

Hope that helps. I'm going to the APS job fair this Friday at UNM. Gonna try and get off the reservation and back to ABQ.
Thanks again. It's at Volcano Vista, a new high school at 8100 Rainbow Rd. 87114. It sounds like a newly developing area.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 31,287 times
Get ready for some serious culture shock if you plan to teach in APS. The city of Albuquerque is a hard nut to crack if you are from elsewhere. I worked for the city for 8 years and it was the most difficult time in my life. I would encourage you to take a look at demographics and strongly consider the low level educational system here. Even in 2008, the locals don't take to outsiders as well as you might think. If you decide to move here I would encourage you to look in the private sector for a job.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexicogal View Post
Get ready for some serious culture shock if you plan to teach in APS. The city of Albuquerque is a hard nut to crack if you are from elsewhere. I worked for the city for 8 years and it was the most difficult time in my life. I would encourage you to take a look at demographics and strongly consider the low level educational system here. Even in 2008, the locals don't take to outsiders as well as you might think. If you decide to move here I would encourage you to look in the private sector for a job.
Thanks for the advise. Where did you teach before? What did you find difficult? How is the educational system low? Do they lack materials and technologies? Is it the lack of suport of parents and administrators?
This position is at a new school. I been in new and difficult places before. Some made me fear for my safety and life. I'm a very friendly, warm, and I'm told funny person. I often use wit and charm to get work from my students. I can be firm when necessary. My present position has been rewarding in terms of my students and their sucesses. Some of the staff however has not been warm and fuzzy towards me in 10 years. If you are not one of the special ones (principal), you are often the butt of his not funny jokes.
I will not miss that. I have also met wonderful teachers who have been very supportive and encouraged me to meet my full potential as a teacher. I have never worked so hard, so many unpaid hours after school, at any other school. If you are not a (special one) coach, you get no extra pay.
The pay is not my real concern. I want the opportunity to live in New Mexico and teach and create art.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Just a heads up on looking for paid art teacher positions in the public schools in NM - most art instruction is done by unpaid volunteers, usually parents, who volunteer through the Arts in the School program. When I went to an information session last year, they informed us that public funding for art education was cut a very long time ago and AIS was created by, I believe, a parent, to keep art education in the schools. I am pretty sure this is a statewide issue, not just APS and the area around ABQ. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That being said, I don't know if there are any paid postions or how many there are, or how competitive they are. Obviously if you have an interview for an APS high school position there is at least one paid teaching job in art out there.

Of course with the charter schools popping up left and right, there might be more opportunity, plus there is always private and parochial education, and private independent art programs.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,503 times
Art jobs are saturated. Next to useless. Technical fields are needed most if you really want to set up an economy for future generations of New Mexico, financially. Or do you think the future of NM is selling hand wrought trinkets on a mat at art fairs the sole means to maintain infrastructure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico