Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 AM

250 posts, read 529,433 times

Advertisements

So by that I mean a town that has no rule against buying land and living in an RV on that land in the months when the weather is great there. I'd move south and west in the winter, and to higher elevations in the hot summer months. Kind of why I will be living in the RV is to be able to move my home when I feel like it. Yet, I'd love to have that home base to come back to and settle down for 6-8 weeks. Ideally I would want to have a place where I can get an electrical service run as well as water, septic if possible. Knowing land size only from knowing that I have .187 acres here in Ohio where my sticks and bricks house is, the plots I see listed on real estate web sites for an acre of wildly undeveloped land won't do it, as they are not level and really wilderness. The plan is that I would have a carport built to stay out of the direct sun other than a day a week where I would pull out from under it during peak sunlight hours to let the solar panels harvest some sunlight.

I know some areas say you can live in an RV for 30 days at a time, but I need to investigate the apparent loophole that says I could stay 30 days, leave for a week, and come back for 30 more days. I read somewhere that some areas allow up to 180 days straight, which would be perfect for me, as the idea of having the RV is to see stuff, not stay in one place all year.

I have looked up zoning codes for Rio Rancho and Los Lunas but the way code is written I can't decipher it. I will be calling them tomorrow (Monday) but thought I'd ask here in the forums as well. Someone may know the area and the answer.

Ideally I'd like to stay 25 to 30-ish miles from ABQ so I can have access to a real city, but that is open to consideration. The main requirement is that I am close enough to ABQ so on 16 Sundays during football season I can go to meet up with the Browns Backers and see my team play, so that is key. The ABQ club used to meet at Ned's but I see they closed and they now meet at Kelly's Brew Pub on Central Ave SE. I am literally and seriously planning my Sep-Dec residence based on proximity to a Browns Backers club. After the season, it's off to sunny and warmer Arizona.

I would so appreciate it is anybody with this kind of local knowledge would respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
a town that has no rule against buying land and living in an RV
Good Luck, I am sure there are a lot of them...:

Category:Unincorporated communities in New Mexico

Category:Unincorporated communities in New Mexico by county

Old 07-22-2018, 12:07 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Even outside of any town, counties will usually have some sort of land use rules. I'd probably look more toward Edgewood and that direction, rather than west. Living in an RV out by Rio Rancho would be far too similar to a scene from Breaking Bad.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Even outside of any town, counties will usually have some sort of land use rules. I'd probably look more toward Edgewood and that direction, rather than west. Living in an RV out by Rio Rancho would be far too similar to a scene from Breaking Bad.
I wish I knew what that meant. I have never seen Breaking Bad.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:03 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Just imagine yourself out in the desert, in an RV, in your underwear cooking meth.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 PM

Oh it's a drug show. No idea.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1261 View Post
Oh it's a drug show. No idea.
Honestly, even though it's a blockbuster with a cult following, the cinematography of RV'ing in the NM desert makes it well worth watching from a strictly educational perspective, even if you only watch the pilot.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:13 AM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
Eddie, just going by what I see here in Otero and Lincoln counties, I'd be surprised if you could NOT do what as you propose. Also, it is kind of charming to see such an avid football fan. Go Browns!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Eddie, just going by what I see here in Otero and Lincoln counties, I'd be surprised if you could NOT do what as you propose. Also, it is kind of charming to see such an avid football fan. Go Browns!
Been following that awful team for 60 of my 67 years and won't stop now! I was fortunate to have an uncle take me to the championship game in 1964 when they beat the Colts. The last time they won anything....

So many things makes it difficult to find a home base patch of land. Staring with the distance. A realtor could send me a photo of any patch of land from any state and say it is what he wants to sell me. Then I get there and find the access is across a 4 foot ditch and services are over a mile away. It's not like I am going to fly to New Mexico, rent a car, drive to god knows where, and look at the land.

Then factor in the zoning. Most places I know to look at, and again being back east I don't know city names outside of Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Taos, Roswell, Carlsbad, Ruidoso..... the bigger cities. And those are absolutely not good prospects because of the natural prejudice people have against RVers. There is a thread somewhere by a guy who doesn't want "those kind of people" living around him.

So, apparently, because I want to live in my RV and travel out the years of my retirement, I am "those kind of people".... I see.

Well, THIS particular "those kind" has an IQ of 160, earned a BA in Music (in 3 1/2 years), an Associate in Computer Science, is a Vietnam Veteran, worked 22 years in music and 18 in IT, and spent most of that career as a network engineer. I do not drink, smoke or use drugs. My police record at age 67 consists of 5 speeding tickets over 51 years of driving. I am quiet, private, and respectful. But in the eyes of that pompous jackass, I am one of "those kind of people".

Unbelievably selfish attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico