Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 AM

28 posts, read 84,598 times

Advertisements

In mid-June sometime I'm going to visit a friend in Clovis. I might end up staying there. I'm asking if anyone here, that lives in Clovis, can tell me if Clovis has had any rain to mention in the past several months or longer. I've read and heard all kinds of newscasts saying that parts of the Southwest might already being going into permanent drought.

You're probably thinking that I could ask my friend. heh heh Yes, I have asked her and she wants me to come out there so badly that she kind of laughs it off and doesn't really tell me how bad it is. I'll ask her if she can remember the last time they had a good all day rain and she thinks and thinks and says, "we must have I just don't remember it". Oy. I'm trying to get away from the hurricanes of the East Coast, but I'm afraid to put what money I have left in a place that might already be going the way of the dust bowl.

I've lived in Clovis before as I've stated on this board somewhere else and I know all the other stuff. Ahum. Small town living sounds very nice after living around millions of people and traffic jams every where. Just curious about this "possible lack of water" thing. I would probably be living there for five or six years tops.

Thanks if anybody has any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I can only speak to Las Cruces, which is drier than Clovis, and in a completely different area of the state, when I say that during this time of year, if you see so much as a cloud in the sky, it's an event. I can't remember the last time it rained here.

I know we need rain, but after living on the East Coast most my life, I can say this is a good thing.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

576 posts, read 2,307,654 times
Default Rainfall and water use in Clovis

Click image for larger version

Name:	Torrent off roof.jpg
Views:	2283
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	17252

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cars splashing along.jpg
Views:	1706
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	17253I took photos of some drenching rains back in September and October; and we had several smallish snowfalls over the winter. This is just my first year in Clovis, but I am expecting that the summer months will be our wettest.

I just checked a weather website and I see that our yearly precipitation average is 18.5 inches, fairly evenly distributed throughout the year, with the heaviest rainfall in June, July, and August.

What interests me is that Clovis doesn't seem to actively push for water conservation. New houses come with lush green landscaping, front and back, and with automatic sprinkler systems. After some research, I discovered that there are some rules about watering, but they were hard to track down and certainly not publicized or even enforced.

I've tried to educate myself on water issues and I've learned that the Ogallala Aquifer, which supplies the region's water, is being drawn down at a greater rate than the natural recharge, leading to its ongoing depletion as first noticed in the 1970s. 94% of the water taken from the aquifer goes to irrigation for agriculture, and that may be why so little attention is paid here to residential use.

~clairz

Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Clovis gets most of its rain in the summer,some good rainy thunderstorms to water that green grass,when I lived in Portales our grass grew fast and thick.Eastern NM is better for grass than anywhere else in the state.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,654 times
We're having a nice rain right now. I woke up to distant thunder and lightning. The smell of rain sweeping across the plains is wonderful this morning.

~clairz

Old 04-09-2008, 08:27 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
We're having a nice rain right now. I woke up to distant thunder and lightning. The smell of rain sweeping across the plains is wonderful this morning.

~clairz
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if Clovis got any of this rain. Same thing over here in Bailey County, Texas but the rain appears to be moving out of the area now at 9:30 am. I was beginning to wonder if we were going to get any moisture this year.

RRM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico