U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 AM

12,998 posts, read 23,828,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
First I'll say I've only been to Alamagordo once, for a weekend. We were disappointed when we first drove in--the kind of ugly bland commercial development you see in so many New Mexico small towns. But the place grew on us as we spent more time there. We finally found a few nice neighborhoods--not fancy, mind you, but well-kept houses. The historic downtown is kind of a joke, but we did visit a very nice little hip coffee shop there. We enjoyed some custard at a busy custard shop along the commercial drag. We went to a wonderful city playground, best I've ever seen, believe it or not. We went to White Sands, of course, which was awesome, then drove up into the mountains--to Cloudcroft, I think? Cute little town.

Alamogordo is not a rich town. The demographic seems like working-class low-income to middle class. It's slightly rundown, but I wouldn't call it a dying town. It's not booming either. It didn't feel unsafe. People seemed pretty nice and down-to-earth. The scenery was beautiful. There were things to do, but it's best for someone looking for a quiet life. Not for someone who likes nightlife, lots of cultural things, shopping or nice restaurants. Sounds like it might fit the bill for you.
Tina i think that's a pretty good description both good and bad.

6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 AM

146 posts, read 287,654 times
Thanks for the info, Tina.

Quiet, middle-class w/nice people is what DH and I are looking for.

Since we'll be making trips into LC or EP on a regular basis, I'm not really worried about lack of shopping, but I'm sure there will be enough to hold us over.

So far, I haven't seen anything negative about Alamo that can't be said of any other part of the country.

Since we've just found out that our propane here has gone from $1.39/gallon to $3.00+ and rising, which we use for heating, we are looking at being down there before next winter! (Well, maybe it will STILL be this winter with the way the weather has been!)

Old 04-10-2008, 08:45 AM

Cindy...remember Alamo is only around 40,000 population so not alot of major shopping. There is a mall i.e.White Sands mall and it does have stores like Dillards and The Popular i'm thinking etc...

Also Lowes and Home Depot are just a couple of years old and of course a Walmart Supercenter along with other places there.

Las Cruces and El Paso are about an hour or so to drive to hit the big malls etc...

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-10-2008 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Correction. Mean't Lowes and not Home Base. 6/3

Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,170,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Cindy...remember Alamo is only around 40,000 population so not alot of major shopping. There is a mall i.e.White Sands mall and it does have stores like Dillards and The Popular i'm thinking etc...

Also Home Base and Home Depot are just a couple of years old and of course a Walmart Supercenter along with other places there.

Las Cruces and El Paso are about an hour or so to drive to hit the big malls etc...

6/3
6' 3", Las Cruces one 'big' mall is the Mesilla Valley Mall. It's sort of a joke. Hardly anyone ever shops there. This is somewhat of a mystery to me, but you can literally go to the front of the parking lot at Sears almost any time, and get a spot. I think it's because there really aren't many well off enough to utilize the malls high end stores.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
6' 3", Las Cruces one 'big' mall is the Mesilla Valley Mall. It's sort of a joke. Hardly anyone ever shops there. This is somewhat of a mystery to me, but you can literally go to the front of the parking lot at Sears almost any time, and get a spot. I think it's because there really aren't many well off enough to utilize the malls high end stores.

We would love your mall (Mesilla Vally) compare to Alamo's (White Sands) in Alamogordo. Probably most in 'Cruces' go to El Paso cause it's closer to Las Cruces than is Alamo is to El Paso.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM

7,646 posts, read 11,170,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
We would love your mall (Mesilla Vally) compare to Alamo's (White Sands) in Alamogordo. Probably most in 'Cruces' go to El Paso cause it's closer to Las Cruces than is Alamo is to El Paso.
I know this. I've been to White Sands Mall before. I know people who live in Alamo who get all excited to make a family trip to Las Cruces to go shopping. However, when it comes to national chain hardware stores, Alamo has both a Lowes and a Home Depot, right next to each other. I always thought this was weird. So, you can get a first class chain saw, but a wedding gown is going to be slightly harder to find.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:27 AM

146 posts, read 287,654 times
The "city" we live in now is about 150 - one hundred and fifty - people. We have a 2 hour drive to Lowes, HD, malls. 1/2 hour to nearest Wal-Mart/KMart.... Alamo would be big enough for us, I'm sure.

Our 2 hour drive to Des Moines still in no way compares to what we'd be able to reach in 2 hours from Alamo...

It still sounds like Heaven!!

I'm still trying to find negatives about a NM move, but can't come up with any!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,909,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
ISo, you can get a first class chain saw, but a wedding gown is going to be slightly harder to find.
Mike, we have a place on New York Ave that sells wedding gowns, so that is covered also.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM

18 posts, read 50,034 times
To judge the health of a city one needs to find out what is happening as far as growth.
If there is no current growth or if growth is way too fast then I would see a flag going up. However, it could be healthy if there is a moderate amount of growth.

So the questions: Is there growth in Alamo? New houses being built? Retail stores moving in? What are the city plans for growth? Are there stores closing and moving away? Are there a large number of homes for sale indicating people are leaving the area?
Does Alamo have a newspaper? What are the issues in newsprint? What are the gripes of the residents?
With the AFB so close do you have lots of low level aircraft buzzing the town? How about Sonic Booms?

Is this a place that someone would want to retire to? Are there plenty of Doctors willing to take on new patients (especially those that are on Medicare)?

Yes, lots of questions. Thanks to anyone or several who may want to tackle those questions. I could ask many more but this should be enough for now.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

13,961 posts, read 6,927,305 times
Some very short answers:

So the questions: Is there growth in Alamo?
Yes

New houses being built?
Yes

Retail stores moving in? Are there stores closing and moving away?
Yes and yes, part of the normal ebb and flow I would imagine.

What are the city plans for growth?
Can't answer that one.

Are there a large number of homes for sale indicating people are leaving the area?

There is a good number of homes for sale, but I think the number has remained pretty constant for several years. Keep in mind that this is a 'military' town so there is always turnover.

Does Alamo have a newspaper? What are the issues in newsprint?
Yes, here's the link to the online version. Home - Alamogordo Daily News

What are the gripes of the residents?
??

With the AFB so close do you have lots of low level aircraft buzzing the town? How about Sonic Booms?
I don't live there, but, I've not ever heard any while visiting.

Is this a place that someone would want to retire to?
Seems so

Are there plenty of Doctors willing to take on new patients (especially those that are on Medicare)?
Can't answer this, though I think it did come up in another thread. You might want to try searching the NM forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico