Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times

Advertisements

I will be so glad to see the end of Sept roll around and it start to cool off. Thank God it has cooled off enough that even with the humidity my swamp cooler is finally working. I can't wait for that briskness in the air. I have really enjoyed the smell that the rain leaves in Alamogordo though, never smelled it anywhere else. A friend told me it was Greasewood bushes or trees or whatever they are. We had our cottonwood festival this weekend but I didn't make it out there. They said the number of booths were down this year and the rain probably didn't help. Oh and the flies can't wait to see them go, hate those buggers. I never could figure out why they were created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Smile ah the change of seasons..

"best of all he loved the fall"...E. Hemmingway....

and I too look forward to the fall.

However...I have found that where we are in New Mexico...Fence Lake..

there are 8 seasons....Winter; Mud; Spring; Wind; Summer; Rain; Mud; Fall ah bliss...
oh and cutting firewood...not a season really...

Happy trails,

HW and SuninHair...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:54 PM

Hunter Wold I am to tired to look it up on the map where is Fence Lake? We really don't have the mud here we have sorta winter, wind, dust,spring,more wind and dust, verryyy lonngggg summmmmerrrrr, rain, and then like you said fall.

I usually just say when someone asks me about seasons here is that we have warm, hot, hotter, hottest. But I shouldn't complain it is alot nicer here than where I am from in TX. At least here once the sun goes down it usually cools off.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Hunter Wold I am to tired to look it up on the map where is Fence Lake? We really don't have the mud here we have sorta winter, wind, dust,spring,more wind and dust, verryyy lonngggg summmmmerrrrr, rain, and then like you said fall.

I usually just say when someone asks me about seasons here is that we have warm, hot, hotter, hottest. But I shouldn't complain it is alot nicer here than where I am from in TX. At least here once the sun goes down it usually cools off.
You got that right!! South Texas is among the hottest and most humid places I've ever been. The summer I spent in McAllen-Edinburg was one of the longest I've ever had, second only to swampy LA/MS. I packed my car up after classes at PanAm were over, and I haven't been back to the valley since 1976--and don't plan to ever go back.

Alamogordo is cool by comparison, especially now.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
You got that right!! South Texas is among the hottest and most humid places I've ever been. The summer I spent in McAllen-Edinburg was one of the longest I've ever had, second only to swampy LA/MS. I packed my car up after classes at PanAm were over, and I haven't been back to the valley since 1976--and don't plan to ever go back.

Alamogordo is cool by comparison, especially now.

I grew up in Eagle Pass, TX same weather as McAllen. I try to remember that even on it's must humid and hot day that Alamogordo is still cooler than S Texas. It was down right nippy this morning when we left the gym at 6:30 I am beginning to get excited.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-10-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom

I grew up in Eagle Pass, TX same weather as McAllen. I try to remember that even on it's must humid and hot day that Alamogordo is still cooler than S Texas. It was down right nippy this morning when we left the gym at 6:30 I am beginning to get excited.
You and me both!! Late fall and winter are the best times here, and it seems to start cooling off about a month earlier than most of TX does.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I will be so glad to see the end of Sept roll around and it start to cool off. Thank God it has cooled off enough that even with the humidity my swamp cooler is finally working. I can't wait for that briskness in the air. I have really enjoyed the smell that the rain leaves in Alamogordo though, never smelled it anywhere else. A friend told me it was Greasewood bushes or trees or whatever they are. We had our cottonwood festival this weekend but I didn't make it out there. They said the number of booths were down this year and the rain probably didn't help. Oh and the flies can't wait to see them go, hate those buggers. I never could figure out why they were created.
As for flies, we lived in NM for 7 years and fought them all summer. I don't know what it is, I do know your humidity this summer has made it very hard to live with nothing more than a swamp cooler. WHat do you bet the air conditioning companies make some money this year? AS for the rain, we loved the smell of it in NM, we don't get that same smell here, but we do get a hell of a lot of rain...

Nita

Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for flies, we lived in NM for 7 years and fought them all summer. I don't know what it is, I do know your humidity this summer has made it very hard to live with nothing more than a swamp cooler. WHat do you bet the air conditioning companies make some money this year? AS for the rain, we loved the smell of it in NM, we don't get that same smell here, but we do get a hell of a lot of rain...

Nita
We have lived in NM for 8 yrs and it seems like every year the humidty get worse. You are right about a/c companies making money, several of our neighbors have gotten central a/c. In Texas where I am from everyone has a/c, what I was shocked about was how much it costs here to install. One of my friends paid $13000 2 yrs ago for the new a/c and furnace. Another friend got the samething done about 4 yrs ago and she said hers cost $5000. It is amazing that the cost almost tripled. When the friend told me it cost them $13,000 I kept asking her if she was sure since that seemed pretty outrageous to me. You do get alot of rain in Arkansas, my inlaws live in TN and think for the last 15 yrs when we have driven through Arkansas on our way to visit it is always raining. The upside to that is that is has always been pretty and green, especially for us coming from brown NM.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Default Re Fence Lake...NM

We are about 65 miles south of Gallup. Hwy 36 runs south thru FL.
This is north of Quemado about 35 miles.

Just lots of Pinor and Juniper(shaggy bark type) aka..Cedar.

No businesses here but, what a great place to start something.

Land prices are very low, and taxes low..(so far).

Lots of planned sub-division(s) but down the road aways I think.

Elk, deer, antelope, coyotes etc.

Searching for Fence Lake on the internet only brings up a few pix.

I have included a couple of our place/area.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat/Humidity/flies/mosquitos-fence-lake-prop-3.jpg   Heat/Humidity/flies/mosquitos-img_2735-023.jpg  

Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
We have lived in NM for 8 yrs and it seems like every year the humidty get worse. You are right about a/c companies making money, several of our neighbors have gotten central a/c. In Texas where I am from everyone has a/c, what I was shocked about was how much it costs here to install. One of my friends paid $13000 2 yrs ago for the new a/c and furnace. Another friend got the samething done about 4 yrs ago and she said hers cost $5000. It is amazing that the cost almost tripled. When the friend told me it cost them $13,000 I kept asking her if she was sure since that seemed pretty outrageous to me. You do get alot of rain in Arkansas, my inlaws live in TN and think for the last 15 yrs when we have driven through Arkansas on our way to visit it is always raining. The upside to that is that is has always been pretty and green, especially for us coming from brown NM.
The conversion from swamp cooler to refrigerated air can vary in cost from $8K to $18K, depending on the house and what has to be done. This is just a quote that was given to me with the understanding that it wasn't an estimate. I just wanted a ballpark figure so I could decide if I wanted to make an offer on a house in Laborcita Canyon that had an existing swamp.

I declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico