Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
We retired in N.M. moving from Florida almost 7 years ago.
We love the beauty, the culture, the climate, the tolerance, and the pace of life.
I agree that there isn't any place that is perfect. We agree that there are problems here to work on in the future...that being said we are delighted to now call New Mexico our home and we are delighted with our choice of NM as our retirement home.

Smart move, I had to take the northern route out of Florida for a while; but NM is on my list once this house is sold.
Less humidity/rain, fewer people, native American culture, mountains, deserts; what more could one ask for?.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm revealed View Post
I visited Boulder , Co where my daughter lives. It is the most vibrant downtown I have ever seen. An architect designed the downtown as a central point for those living there to congregate. Everyone goes there day and night to socialize, eat, shop, gather and enjoy the nightlife!
If downtown Boulder is the best you've ever seen you need to get out more. It's not even the best in Colorado.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Only two things I remember about Boulder: JonBenet Ramsey murder case and a pretty good Rueban Sandwich I got there once. Otherwise, it's pretty average.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Just go into Jemez or the gas station at Santo Domingo when you're driving between Santa Fe and Albuquerque and you'll hear them.
Shoot, all over Bernalillo or even in Albuquerque whenever two people from the same pueblo run across each other.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:42 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
New Mexicans, as far as disasters go, don't have the earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes but they do have the fire danger. If one is going to live in NM, they need to educate themselves with the fire hazards, what to do and what not to do. I think New Mexicans are pretty educated with that but the tourists are not. I've had to evacuate my house a couple of times......but, I still enjoyed my time living in NM. Seems all states have something to be concerned about.
Agreed, fires a big concern for both states. This year the fire situation in Colorado has been pretty brutal. In fact, I started a thread that was made a *sticky* for ongoing reports of drought conditions, red flag weather advisories, and the fires themselves. Right now, that thread is at 301 posts. And that thread is just for this year, it was started in April.

And Boulder, specifically Boulder canyon has had several fires over the years. But where Boulder gets as bad as any city IMO is the wind.

From NOAA--google in ESRL:PSD Boulder Wind Events
ESRL--Earth System Research Labs
PSD-Physical Sciences Division

They have an accurate breakdown of high wind problems that goes back nearly 50 years. Check out those figures-especially the last three years. I didn't need to myself, I put in several years at the Rocky Flats Plant 9 miles south of Boulder. I know about days, sometimes weeks at a time of constant 40-50 m.p.h. winds and 70 to 90 m.p.h. gusts.

The OP talks about Albuquerque as a hellhole, well several weeks/months of wind at a time to that level is a hellhole to me. And it's not just Boulder, follow Colorado's Front Range. And I-70 west up to the Eisenhower Tunnel. And U.S. 285 through Turkey Creek Canyon.

Noooo thank you.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-04-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I think New Mexico would be a great place to live. But it's uniqueness, while a pro in many ways, I think is a con in many others. If you are looking for what New Mexico offers in climate and safety from natural disasters and such, but want Anywhere, USA, you're going to have a tough time. Phoenix, Vegas, despite being hotter and maybe even more expensive, are much more similar on a cultural level to the rest of the country. New Mexico having its own culture is great, but may be harder for a transplant to assimilate to.

I think from a transplant perspective, an ideal pro to the Southwest is the lack of snow. But a good amount of New Mexico, especially in Santa Fe and ABQ can at least expect snow regularly, even if fleeting, and that crosses it off the list of many. If Phoenix got snow it would mean hell froze over--literally haha. Phoenix gets snow every 20 years we joke, not really something I would call regular.

What prevents me from moving to New Mexico is a lack of opportunity. For a career. Not that there aren't good job options in New Mexico in my field, but they are minuscule compared to other areas. It's hard to get jobs in other states when you don't live there. I know many other people my age, Millennials, who say the same thing regarding Albuquerque.

Cities and states are dynamic. Does New Mexico have its problems? Sure. But so does everywhere else. Look at what the Rust Belt used to be, and look at what it is now. Look at Portland a few decades ago, and look at Portland (Oregon) now. Can New Mexico grow like it's neighbors? Yes, absolutely. We can't predict the future.

I think people will look at New Mexico more seriously as Colorado continues to skyrocket in costs and Nevada/Arizona start to get to ridiculous summer highs (no, our summers aren't too hot...yet). Hopefully with the mindset that when they move to New Mexico, to keep the unique New Mexico culture, and not make it Anywhere, USA like they do in Austin, Boulder, and Phoenix.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think New Mexico would be a great place to live. But it's uniqueness, while a pro in many ways, I think is a con in many others. If you are looking for what New Mexico offers in climate and safety from natural disasters and such, but want Anywhere, USA, you're going to have a tough time. Phoenix, Vegas, despite being hotter and maybe even more expensive, are much more similar on a cultural level to the rest of the country. New Mexico having its own culture is great, but may be harder for a transplant to assimilate to.

I think from a transplant perspective, an ideal pro to the Southwest is the lack of snow. But a good amount of New Mexico, especially in Santa Fe and ABQ can at least expect snow regularly, even if fleeting, and that crosses it off the list of many. If Phoenix got snow it would mean hell froze over--literally haha. Phoenix gets snow every 20 years we joke, not really something I would call regular.

What prevents me from moving to New Mexico is a lack of opportunity. For a career. Not that there aren't good job options in New Mexico in my field, but they are minuscule compared to other areas. It's hard to get jobs in other states when you don't live there. I know many other people my age, Millennials, who say the same thing regarding Albuquerque.

Cities and states are dynamic. Does New Mexico have its problems? Sure. But so does everywhere else. Look at what the Rust Belt used to be, and look at what it is now. Look at Portland a few decades ago, and look at Portland (Oregon) now. Can New Mexico grow like it's neighbors? Yes, absolutely. We can't predict the future.

I think people will look at New Mexico more seriously as Colorado continues to skyrocket in costs and Nevada/Arizona start to get to ridiculous summer highs (no, our summers aren't too hot...yet). Hopefully with the mindset that when they move to New Mexico, to keep the unique New Mexico culture, and not make it Anywhere, USA like they do in Austin, Boulder, and Phoenix.
In terms of economy in this state, I am more convinced than ever before that New Mexico needs to rid itself of the gross receipts tax. It is an onerous tax on business and commerce. Every state that borders this one (Arizona, Texas, Colorado, and Utah) are running rings around us.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:39 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I think from a transplant perspective, an ideal pro to the Southwest is the lack of snow. But a good amount of New Mexico, especially in Santa Fe and ABQ can at least expect snow regularly, even if fleeting,
Santa Fe and northern New Mexico get a lot of snow. (Rare dry years, like last year, are the exception).

Quote:
Hopefully with the mindset that when they move to New Mexico, to keep the unique New Mexico culture, and not make it Anywhere, USA like they do in Austin, Boulder, and Phoenix.
Yuppies can't help but to bland-ify everything.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm revealed View Post
It also at 7200 feet in elevation.Much harder to do exercise activities at that elevation. In addition it has more intense sun, dryness and desert. Have you ever experienced the Southwest winds from march to June, 40-50 mph with humidities at 2-3 % Most of the state is desert with no trees. It also isolated and landlocked with the ocean about 900 miles away. No thank you, I like green green, rain and better socioeconomic conditions you can attain elsewhere!!!
The above is one whole paragraph which you stated.

The mean elevation of New Mexico is 5,700 feet above sea level.

The lowest point in New Mexico is 2,842 feet at Red Bluff Reservoir while the highest point is Wheeler Peak at 13,167.

Quote:
Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 1986;14:269-302.
Cardiovascular adaptation to exercise at high altitude.
Grover RF, Weil JV, Reeves JT.
Abstract

To exercise at high altitude means working in an environment with reduced atmospheric pressure. The oxygen tension of the inspired air is therefore decreased, that is, there is atmospheric hypoxia. Exercise increases oxygen requirements which must now be met in the face of this decreased oxygen driving pressure. The initial handicap is less complete oxygenation of blood within the lung. In an effort to preserve oxygen delivery, a greater volume of blood is circulated, that is, cardiac output is increased. However, this pattern of compensation is only temporary. Within days, hemoconcentration increases the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood, and as a consequence, less cardiac output is required to maintain oxygen delivery. In fact, cardiac output decreases to levels lower than existed prior to ascent. This reduction in cardiac output results primarily from a decrease in stroke volume due to less venous return secondary to the smaller blood volume produced by hemoconcentration. The hypoxia of high altitude produces sustained stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system. Initially, this increases heart rate, but, with time, the responsiveness of the heart decreases, so the initial tachycardia may not be sustained. Other consequences of sympathetic stimulation include an increase in resting metabolic rate, a shift away from glycogen toward free fatty acids as primary energy sources, and bone marrow stimulation to increase red cell production. The parasympathetic nervous system may also be stimulated at high altitude, which may explain the reduction in maximum heart rate. Upon arrival at high altitude, aerobic working capacity is reduced. Although this may or may not be attenuated following adaptation, endurance capacity does seem to improve. Several parallels therefore emerge between adaptation to the hypoxia of high altitude and adaptation to the struggle for oxygen created by exercise training at low altitude. Sympathetic stimulation is common to both forms of hypoxic stress, and similar responses, particularly metabolic, result. Not surprisingly, then, exercise training provides an advantage to adaptation to high altitude.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
I'll agree with the OP's views on Boulder. I travel up there from Clovis for a Thursday night bicycle ride and also think it's one of the better, urban areas on the Front Range. But at the same time, a little too idyllic and expensive to set up a permanent base of operations there anytime soon.

As far as the "gang problem in NM", uhhhhhh? THAT'S EVERYWHERE!! I moved out here from SoCal six years ago and find it the same or less intense in crime as it was in the Victor Valley. In fact, I'm not even sure why people are so concerned about gang violence. I mean, from what I've heard and experienced, the only people that should be fearing gang problems at all are those that are already involved with them.

It amazes me every time I speak of moving from Clovis to Albuquerque, or metro Phoenix. The endless resistance I get due to "how bad the crime" is there. I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not some 20-something, petite, pretty young thing. Keep your head down, mind your own business, and you're left well enough alone.

Prices are fine here, the job I have is pretty good for now, and this state is about as laid back as one could get. Only reason I see myself moving from my current spot in a hurry is if my current job breaks it's hull against the rocks and I got to evac to another spot to keep my wallet half full.

Until then, I'm sitting pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico